Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that a great % of people are now choosing Barts and the London over KCL. IMO, Kings is not even that good - its far to overrated. Barts is way better in several aspects, but seems to get less 'rep' cause of the area?

Whose actually been to Kings area? Its crap :s Hospitals can't even compete, Barts new hospital is the bomb.

So the question is,
    Is Kings College Medical School over-rated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roller)
    It seems to me that a great % of people are now choosing Barts and the London over KCL. IMO, Kings is not even that good - its far to overrated. Barts is way better in several aspects, but seems to get less 'rep' cause of the area?

Whose actually been to Kings area? Its crap :s Hospitals can't even compete, Barts new hospital is the bomb.

So the question is,
    So thats why you applied to it? Applied to it twice infact?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Wait.

No.

King's is a fantastic med school. All med schools are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    So thats why you applied to it? Applied to it twice infact?
    I am entitled to choose were I apply, and having offers I also have the right to say its over-rated.

(Original post by Hippysnake)
    Yes.

Wait.

No.

King's is a fantastic med school. All med schools are.
    I agree, but I am saying that KCL is simply just 'good' not like 'WOW ZOMGGGGGGG YOU GO KINGZZZZZ, LIKE OXFORD AND DAT'

ReputationRep:
    I am entitled to choose were I apply, and having offers I also have the right to say its over-rated.
    You do indeed have your right but i find it hilarious how someone thinks a medical school is overrated but has used up two choices in applying there..

ReputationRep:
    You do indeed have your right but i find it hilarious how someone thinks a medical school is overrated but has used up two choices in applying there..
    fair enough, yet i think its because i never visited kings before and was expecting a "WOW ZMOGHHHHHHHHHHHH"

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, why are you going for deferred entry?

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, yet i think its because i never visited kings before and was expecting a "WOW ZMOGHHHHHHHHHHHH"
    Personally, i see Barts as a type of "up and coming" great medical school while kings is an already established great medical school. King's guy's campus is much better than Barts whitechapel area. I have to admit the new Royal London hospital looks amazing then again Guy's and St Thomas trust is supposed to be one of the best in london.

Both would be fantastic places to study but then it all comes down to the whole "PBL vs LBL" argument...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bramz19)
    Out of interest, why are you going for deferred entry?
    Travelling, sky diving and bungee jumping

Personally, i see Barts as a type of "up and coming" great medical school while kings is an already established great medical school. King's guy's campus is much better than Barts whitechapel area. I have to admit the new Royal London hospital looks amazing then again Guy's and St Thomas trust is supposed to be one of the best in london.

Both would be fantastic places to study but then it all comes down to the whole "PBL vs LBL" argument...
    I'd disagree, Barts is a built medical school. Its current hospital is the best in East London, and once again in my opinion was far better than guys. The area of Kings guys campus is just squashed, polluted, tall buildings on little roads etc. It was ugly, Barts wasnt.

ReputationRep:
    Travelling, sky diving and bungee jumping

I'd disagree, Barts is a built medical school. Its current hospital is the best in East London, and once again in my opinion was far better than guys. The area of Kings guys campus is just squashed, polluted, tall buildings on little roads etc. It was ugly, Barts wasnt.
    I quite like the "tall building and little roads" thing :p:

Aah well, i guess you'll be off to UCL or Peninsula then?

ReputationRep:
    Tommies is a place for highborn ladies/kings is a dump in the strand...etc. I'm not biased

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think part of people seem to give it more rep than its worth the reason is the word "King's".

I understand it is a good school - all medical schools are - but your example of Bart's seems to show the point exactly: it has an outstanding hospital, yet people wouldn't be so impressed if you mentioned it.

Anyway, this rep thing doesn't really matter outside the realms of school friends and ego.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the "tall building and little roads" thing :p:

Aah well, i guess you'll be off to UCL or Peninsula then?
    Feels like they gonna fall on you any second.

(Original post by Musty_Elbow)
    I honestly think part of people seem to give it more rep than its worth the reason is the word "King's".

I understand it is a good school - all medical schools are - but your example of Bart's seems to show the point exactly: it has an outstanding hospital, yet people wouldn't be so impressed if you mentioned it.

Anyway, this rep thing doesn't really matter outside the realms of school friends and ego.
    I think its gotta do with QMUL as the 'other' side of Barts, compared to King's 'other side' which is better than QMUL.

QMUL has a poor reputation, brings Barts down with it. Kings med vs Barts med = Barts.

ReputationRep:
    No Medical school is crap, otherwise they wouldn't be teaching Medicine in the first place. Just be happy that you got an offer to study Medicine.

ReputationRep:

I think its gotta do with QMUL as the 'other' side of Barts, compared to King's 'other side' which is better than QMUL.

QMUL has a poor reputation, brings Barts down with it. Kings med vs Barts med = Barts.
    Take your elitist bull**** else where, no one gives a flying crap what you think

ReputationRep:
    Kings has an excellent reputation and would have taken the opportunity to go there if I had an offer.
    But what explains the fact that its graduates have the highest failure rate in the MRCGP exams? anyone have any idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloody_student)
    Take your elitist bull**** else where, no one gives a flying crap what you think
    Calm down there, she was defending Barts. Somebody else mentioned it's supposed "poor reputation" and she spit-balled why.

I see no elitism here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Calm down there, she was defending Barts. Somebody else mentioned it's supposed "poor reputation" and she spit-balled why.

I see no elitism here.
    Barts is way better in several aspects, but seems to get less 'rep' cause of the area?
    I may go to Barts, but Barts is not "way better" in several aspects than Kings (Not in a non-banterous way anyway).

These grandeur delusions that one medical school is "better than another" annoys me royally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    /

So the question is,

Get involved.

ReputationRep:
    Is it only asians who give a **** about rep? They seem to place so much store on prestige

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.