Turn on thread page Beta

feeling depressed and lonely from non active social life...Need advice? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I am a 23 year old guy and I have a non existent social life. I don't know what happened, but a lot of friend's went separate ways and I no longer have many friend's left. I have the odd couple, but they have girlfriend's, and their own life. I just feel pretty lonely and isolated, and I especially dread the weekend (like today) when people are all out and about having fun with their mate's, instead I'm inside bored and depressed, not knowing what to do with my life. I literally feel sick thinking about the situation, it really sucks bad! I am currently unemployed and looking for work at the moment, I don't have a car either, and now my social life being crap, it's all getting on top of me! I feel depressed, stressed, lonely, anxious, all rolled into one. And it's not like I can go to anyone to explain how I feel, because no one really understands unless they are in this situation. Also, I am not in Education so I cannot meet people through that. I really don't know what else I can do, I really do feel pretty sh*t to be honest.

P.S. Please don't judge, I feel bad enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    Basically, I am a 23 year old guy and I have a non existent social life. I don't know what happened, but a lot of friend's went separate ways and I no longer have many friend's left. I have the odd couple, but they have girlfriend's, and their own life. I just feel pretty lonely and isolated, and I especially dread the weekend (like today) when people are all out and about having fun with their mate's, instead I'm inside bored and depressed, not knowing what to do with my life. I literally feel sick thinking about the situation, it really sucks bad! I am currently unemployed and looking for work at the moment, I don't have a car either, and now my social life being crap, it's all getting on top of me! I feel depressed, stressed, lonely, anxious, all rolled into one. And it's not like I can go to anyone to explain how I feel, because no one really understands unless they are in this situation. Also, I am not in Education so I cannot meet people through that. I really don't know what else I can do, I really do feel pretty sh*t to be honest.

It's a hard cycle to get out of if you aren't in education and meeting people.

Do you work? If not try and get one, regardless if it's shop work or a skilled job. In the work environment you are in a perfect situation to build another friendship circle. Also just try and arrange a get together, start one of those silly facebook events and invite everyone you used to be friends with for a catch up drink.

Chin up

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and I have a non exisent social life. Well, apart from talking to people at college and work. Other than that it sucks. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)

You need something to get your mind off the situation. With finding friends it takes a bit of luck here and there but to stop you feeling like this you need some sport. Consider running / cycling etc (there are many clubs too) to get you worn out at least once a week & that will keep you sane and build up confidence. Local gym perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    If you have any particular hobbies or interests, see what local activities/clubs are on offer, you're bound to make new friends (who also share the same interests) and remember to stay positive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    I'm 20 and I have a non exisent social life. Well, apart from talking to people at college and work. Other than that it sucks. :sad:
    Same! But sometimes it's necessary to go for a long time like this, to focus on other things. Ah well. Long-term we'll be alright. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Try getting busy... for example, try to start learning a new skill.
    On weekends work extra hard...

It works for me, I am in a similar situation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Same! But sometimes it's necessary to go for a long time like this, to focus on other things. Ah well. Long-term we'll be alright. :yes:
    Yeah, but it's making me depressed so I struggle to focus on other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DopplerEffect)
    Try getting busy... for example, try to start learning a new skill.
    On weekends work extra hard...

It works for me, I am in a similar situation...
    What stuff do you do then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Ditto. My education needs my love at the moment, not my friends :emo:

ReputationRep:
    If you can't find a job then volunteer somewhere in the meantime. You'll meet people, keep busy, do some good, have something to put on your CV, and you can still claim jobseekers (I think that's if you volunteer for under 16 hours a week, but I could be wrong about that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    What stuff do you do then?
    I am trying to learn a programming language...
    And recently I started taking French lessons with the help of Rosetta Stone software...

These are engaging activities and can help block out depressing feelings....
    But remember to do something that you find interesting...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.