Turn on thread page Beta

What is the best thing to do in this situation? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok Im at university studying nursing (psychiatric) and am in the second year of the degree (ordinary degree). Im getting the tuition fees paid and a bursary of £125 but theres something else that i really wish Id have done. Im in my mid twenties so am a bit old to be messing about as a student but part of me wishes Id have done a degree in something exercise/fitness related/maybe physiotherapy. I have an active lifestyle, go running everyday and enjoy comming up with exercise schedules etc.

Although i kind of enjoy the nursing course I just see it as something that will get in the way of my lifestyle. On shifts that I have done in the past there is just no routine or structure I just have to sleep when i can and eat when i can its just unhealthy imo. Along with this I don't think I would have the assertiveness or be able to handle the responsibility that comes with nursing.

I do find what I am studying interesting but am not sure if its what I really want to do. I was thinking of finishing the degree but what use would an ordinary degree in nursing be if I didnt want to work as one..would the qualification help me to get another job? Also about the exercise degree part of me feels I would be mad to change courses and pay £3000 a year when im on a degree which Im being paid to do. I just wish that Id have gone into the fitness area when i was 18 but i just wasnt mature enough at the time i went through years of anxiety and kept quiting jobs etc.

I just wanted some advice on the best thing to do?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'm the best person to give advice on university and jobs etc since I'm going to uni for my first year in september. But what I can say is that people who I know who are doing their hobbies as a job is taking its toll on them. This is not the same situation for everyone so it may not apply to you, but you seem like the type of person who likes to have a break away from things and go running and swimming etc. What would you do if your routine was the same day in day out and your job and hobbies were linked tightly? Would your hobbies seem like such a break from your work?

Other than that, you seem like the type of person who would be good at numerous jobs and wish you could do them all lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antoastew)
    I don't think I'm the best person to give advice on university and jobs etc since I'm going to uni for my first year in september. But what I can say is that people who I know who are doing their hobbies as a job is taking its toll on them. This is not the same situation for everyone so it may not apply to you, but you seem like the type of person who likes to have a break away from things and go running and swimming etc. What would you do if your routine was the same day in day out and your job and hobbies were linked tightly? Would your hobbies seem like such a break from your work?

Other than that, you seem like the type of person who would be good at numerous jobs and wish you could do them all lol
    I wouldnt say im good at any job really but the rest of what you say might be true actually I see your point! I'l definately consider this, thanks

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.