Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I downloaded the UKCAT practice tests from the website today to get a feel for the examination, having had no preparation on it beforehand. Needless to say, I'm now terrified and even considering if I should abandon aspirations of studying Medicine altogether.

Of course, time was very constrained. I recieve extra time on tests so took the UKCATSEN, but still found myself hopelessly outmatched by the clock and having to guess large portions of a section.

Verbal reasoning went alright, but not terribly well and I was forced to skim over passages very quickly rather than closely analyse them.

Then I had a nightmare of the time on QR, resorting to guesswork on questions about elevations with angles and pi.

Abstract reasoning; not a clue what to do. Completely guessed.

Then decision making, which I was pressed for time on and found myself quite confused frequently.

I just don't know what to do. As it's meant to be an aptitude test that relies on your innate abilities over knowledge, I'm feeling rather inadequate.

Does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Get the 600 questions book. I've not done the UKCAT/read the book before but people on here always seem to recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanFoley)
    I downloaded the UKCAT practice tests from the website today to get a feel for the examination, having had no preparation on it beforehand. Needless to say, I'm now terrified and even considering if I should abandon aspirations of studying Medicine altogether.

Of course, time was very constrained. I recieve extra time on tests so took the UKCATSEN, but still found myself hopelessly outmatched by the clock and having to guess large portions of a section.

Verbal reasoning went alright, but not terribly well and I was forced to skim over passages very quickly rather than closely analyse them.

Then I had a nightmare of the time on QR, resorting to guesswork on questions about elevations with angles and pi.

Abstract reasoning; not a clue what to do. Completely guessed.

Then decision making, which I was pressed for time on and found myself quite confused frequently.

I just don't know what to do. As it's meant to be an aptitude test that relies on your innate abilities over knowledge, I'm feeling rather inadequate.

Does anyone have any advice?
    Chill out. All the practice I did was a lot more difficult than the test itself.
    The UKCAT won't make or break your application, it can certainly help you a lot but a less than average score isn't the end of the world.
    If you wanna practice better by a few books, go through them thoroughly and just familiarise yourself with the type of questions. I though Abstract reasoning would be incredibly difficult but I got like 630 in it (which isn't great but better than I expected). Also, when I was practicing the quantative reasoning I struggled to into the 500's but my actual result was like 720.

My average however was only 620 because I didn't practice the other 2 sections much because I found them easiest and they dragged down my average.

But, as I said, its not the end of the world. If you don't do as well as you'd hoped then apply to medical schools that put less emphasis onto UKCAT. But for now just practice practice practice!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that all of the UKCAT practice tests and such are a hell of a lot harder than the real thing.
    If you're eligible for the SEN version, do it, it'll give you extra time which could make a big difference.

I used this http://amzn.to/htMLhF and it seemed to help quite a lot.

Don't get too worried about the UKCAT, lots of med schools don't care about it at all and if you do poorly, just don't apply to UKCAT determined unis e.g. Sheffield and Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at the UKCAT and did the mock and it is so unbelievably difficult to complete any of the sections in the time allocated. I did 5 questions in 21 minutes in QR. I don't know how it's possible to do it any faster! Can anyone give me some advice on how to improve my pace please?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    1. The practice is much more difficult than the test itself.

2. Everybody is time-streched, it is ridiculously difficult. That is the point of the test! It is a massive world of difference to GCSE/AS exams where you have plenty of time to answer any question: with the UKCAT, every candidate is stretched to the max.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't get an above average result, then apply to med schools that place less emphasis on the UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kibbles)
    I was looking at the UKCAT and did the mock and it is so unbelievably difficult to complete any of the sections in the time allocated. I did 5 questions in 21 minutes in QR. I don't know how it's possible to do it any faster! Can anyone give me some advice on how to improve my pace please?
    i found out that with the quantitative reasoning the best way is to do a lot more mental arithmetic. dont try and "show working" like you would in a maths exam, if you know what i mean. it helps in eliminating some of the options. hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get the 600s qs book, it really helped me. The ukcat is a stupid test, but it's one of the hoops you have to jump through so just do it. At least you're starting now- I waited until summer to start practice and that was really stressful, not surprisingly

When you've got more practice under your belt you'll find it easier. Still doesn't mean you'll be able to do all the questions within the time limit, but you'll have a better idea what to expect

And remember, if it all goes pear shaped there are still unis that don't look at the ukcat. It's not the end of the world if you don't do fantastically (though of course it helps!)

ReputationRep:
    apparently there are tutorial videos on youtube that are supposed to help - not seen them yet, but it was my college career advisor that told me about it. Practice is the best thing by far I didn't do as much practice as I should have, but all the practice I did was harder than the actually test itself I think Also, if possible, try not to get too stressed because being too stessed won't help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kibbles)
    Get the 600 Q book.

Practise basic maths. I had forgotten how to do percentages when I began practising. Know mean median and mode.

Learn to guestimate effectively: discount answers that you know are impossible.

DO NOT GO OVER YOUR TIME LIMIT FOR QUESTIONS. If it seems to difficult, flag it and move on. Do all the easy questions first, you can go back and do the more difficult ones at the end.

Practise does make perfect. UKCAT says it's a test of natural abilities and that you can't study for it: but you can practise your little bum off.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 2, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.