Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Generally, why is it only a select few guys that get the all of girls? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler.)
    beside the river it had gone 12 midnight and I suggested borrowing (without consent) a small gondola, we ended up on a secluded part of the Thames and had the best sex, under the stars. Seeing her reaction, seeing here worry slightly was such an amazing experience.
    Can I take notes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Expand, don't understand what you meant.
    Thanks
    you know what the joke is right?

When you ask a woman to describe the kind of man she wants, she describes another woman.

I laughed when I heard that because it's so true of so many women. I'm a woman myself, of course, but I think I've already come to the conclusion that what I want is never what I end up with.

I don't think the "majority of guys get left out"... it's just that a lot of women tend to be kinda stupid when it comes to "omg he's a jerk why did he dump me?!?!" and then go back to the same deal and have the cycle repeat over and over again.

I think it just comes down to self-awareness at this point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadelyndsey)
    Ahahaha oh obviously these traits work to your advantage in law then! ahah, you might think it's cute, but it is utterly embarassing. Especially since the more attention I get, the redder I go. Hahah! Not so much of an issue now though, don't really care what people think anymore

It's all part of the chase too though isn't it. What's the point in a guy going for a girl who would do anything he says? There is no challenge. You men like to ... win stuff :L
    That is very true - guys do love a challenge. You seemed to have cracked the males mind. If I could nominate you for a nobel peace prize, I would. ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ich Dien)
    Can I take notes?
    Haha. From that part, yes. Probably not best to take notes of the latter of the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    you know what the joke is right?

When you ask a woman to describe the kind of man she wants, she describes another woman.

I laughed when I heard that because it's so true of so many women. I'm a woman myself, of course, but I think I've already come to the conclusion that what I want is never what I end up with.

I don't think the "majority of guys get left out"... it's just that a lot of women tend to be kinda stupid when it comes to "omg he's a jerk why did he dump me?!?!" and then go back to the same deal and have the cycle repeat over and over again.

I think it just comes down to self-awareness at this point
    I have never thought about it that way, but that does make perfect sense.

ReputationRep:
    First post!

Most men lack the REAL qualities which women are looking for:

Confidence
    Sense of humour
    Decisiveness
    Not needy
    Not trying to change himself to suit the woman etc.

There are more, but you get the idea. Having this stuff as a man is no different than having 10/10 looks as a woman. Your looks are only a small part of the equation.

The problem is that most men are incredibly lame and don't even dare to go up to a woman that they fancy and initiate a conversation. Girls at university are 18-20 years old and are looking for a man, not some loser who is too scared to even look them in the eye when talking to them.

Having bad looks makes no difference. I have friends who aren't traditionally good looking, but pull good looking girls all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I sort of consider myself a "bad boy" (hate using that term). I love the sort of innocent, slightly shy girls. I will try and explain my reasons, hopefully it won't sound so strange.

It's amazing taking a girl out and doing things with them, that they've never done before. For example I study at Oxford and on the 1st date with my ex we were walking beside the river it had gone 12 midnight and I suggested borrowing (without consent) a small gondola, we ended up on a secluded part of the Thames and had the best sex, under the stars. Seeing her reaction, seeing here worry slightly was such an amazing experience.

We were complete opposites, I'm just a normal guy from London, with normal family. She was very well off, her dad an investment banker. Things she got me to do I loved too - going to exclusive parties with her dad's work friends, being lent his porsche for a weekend to France.

I think it all boils down to difference, people love experiencing different things, in a way she started controlling me and not in a bad way for example; we would lie in bed together on a Saturday night listening to music and studying - something I never did before.
    Damn you, damn you right to hell.

(Original post by Ozma)
    First post!

Most men lack the REAL qualities which women are looking for:

Confidence
    Sense of humour
    Decisiveness
    Not needy

There are more, but you get the idea. Having this stuff as a man is no different than having 10/10 looks as a woman. Your looks are only a small part of the equation.

The problem is that most men are incredibly lame and don't even dare to go up to a woman that they fancy and initiate a conversation. Girls at university are 18-20 years old and are looking for a man, not some loser who is too scared to even look them in the eye when talking to them.

Having bad looks makes no difference. I have friends who aren't traditionally good looking, but pull good looking girls all the time.
    Sorry to sound hostile for you first post, but maybe more girls should put some effort into starting a conversation with the man (even though we know they wont).

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard of an alpha male?

Yeah, that.

Edit: Also, moustaches and motorbikes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    Ever heard of an alpha male?

Yeah, that.

Edit: Also, moustaches and motorbikes.

ever heard of the beta male?

ReputationRep:
    That is very true - guys do love a challenge. You seemed to have cracked the males mind. If I could nominate you for a nobel peace prize, I would. ;p
    Ahahah! Oh this is good to hear Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozma)
    Confidence
    Sense of humour
    Decisiveness(Spontaneousness does not count?)
    Not needy
    3 out of 5 aint bad.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are more attractive and/or confident than the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francistheswole)
    ever heard of the beta male?
    Hence the moustaches and motorbikes. Turn yourself into an alpha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ich Dien)
    What is average then? And why are people seemingly afraid of it?

Cause the average guy = will pay you child support?

Just accept yourself for who you damn well are.

wtf does this have to do with BABIES?

ReputationRep:
    Basically, why is it only a select few of the best looking guys/popular guys who can get lots of girls.
    Because we're winners.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to sound hostile for you first post, but maybe more girls should put some effort into starting a conversation with the man (even though we know they wont).
    Its okay, I know that my post will offend most people, since it conflicts with their world view so much. Doesn't bother me, I'm just offering solid advice for those who want to take it. Anyone who finds it offensive can just ignore it. But think about your original comment about how it's only a "select few" men who get the women - it's the men who understand the things I'm talking about. And that's why no matter how much you moan about the way things are, it won't ever change, meanwhile the men who understand this stuff will always get women.

I can see why you think that women should approach men, but there are a couple of reasons that they don't.

Firstly, women fear the social consequences of being labeled a "****" for approaching lots of men. We have a double standard in our society where men who talk to loads of girls are "players" and women who do it are "****". (I don't share that belief, but it is very real in our society.) Any woman seen going round talking to blokes she doesn't know would quickly be shunned by others.

Secondly, you are dreaming of a world where females have male psychology. For men, we can look at a woman and know instantly if we find her attractive or not. For women, it is not like that. They could talk to hundreds, if not thousands, of men before finding one who his confident, funny, non-needy etc. which to them is what they look for.

ReputationRep:
    Because women are stupid and most guys are pussies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anya~)
    wtf does this have to do with BABIES?
    I was implying that bad boys leave you to rot when the going gets tough.

ReputationRep:
    It's stupid and a lot of girls will be really unwilling to admit it; it's really more about how well you can use your personality to make people notice you. A confident, but doesn't give it all away kinda guy makes girls want to be the one to get close enough to crack the mystery. We like to think that some men are way more complicated than they are, and worse we want to snag ourselves a complicated guy that every other female finds unattainable. That's a really simplified version of it but that's why the loud or cocky/ badboy types get more attention.

In my opinion the film/book "He's just not that into you" has a scary amount of truth in it with regards to the entire theory- in short almost every girl wants on some level to be 'the exception' so she convinces herself that she will be. And her friends encourage the thought process. We then proceed to get screwed over by badboys.

STOP WALLOWING, START PAYING ATTENTION - focus on one girl and go out of your way for her but don't let her walk all over you. it's the little things - but that doesn't mean you let her use you or take advantage. AND GET SOME CONFIDENCE She'll get the message somehow. But not if you sit there and sulk because you think you're not pretty enough or w/e. lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.