Turn on thread page Beta

Best way to learn about UK politics/economics? watch

ReputationRep:
    In October this year I will be moving to the UK as an international student, and have been starting to follow the British news and political situation as much as possible (mostly through reading The Guardian, The Economist etc etc) but I have only just realised how deficient my knowledge of the political system and governmental structure of the country I am moving to is. Not being from the UK, I have never been given the chance to study anything beyond particular limited periods of British history in school. I know who all the major political parties are and their basic policies, but I would never be able to contribute anything meaningful to a poltical discussion or debate, and I am slightly anxious about appearing poltically naive or uneducated.

My question is, what is the best way to get a decent grounding in UK politics before I get arrive?
    Are there any particularly good introductory books, any essential articles to read, any websites or forums to frequent? I also want to know, what are the major political debates and issues going on at the moment? I know the well publicized ones about tuition fees, deficit reduction etc, but I get the feeling im only scratching the surface, and dont understand the deeper issues/historical context behind them
    Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    Just carry on doing what you're doing. You may not be able to contribute to a political debate, but we have grown up surrounded by these issues. If you expose yourself to British news and watch programmes such as The Daily Politics adn Question Time, then you'll eventually attain a full understanding. Just don't expect it to be instant.

Also, might be good to have a read of British Politics by Kavanagh, Richards, Smith and Geddes. This is pretty simple but just find a library and there's countless books on politics.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.