Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
      f''(x) + A y(x) = 0
    Boundary conditions:  y(0) = y(pi) and  y'(0) = y'(pi)

Considering the case where A < 0, is it true to say there are no eigenvalues as there is no defining eigenfunction which is not trivial. I used A instead of lambda because I didn't know how to put that symbol in.

I'm a bit unsure if I have done the evaluation of the boundary conditions correctly. Usually one of my constants cancel out but it wasn't the case this time so I compared coefficients and said that the constants must be zero therefore only resulting in a trivial solution. I just want to make sure that is actually correct. Hope that it's clear what I'm asking and what I've done. If not, ask and I'll try and explain myself a bit better.

ReputationRep:
    Your boundary conditions don't look standard. Are you sure they're correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathprof)
    Your boundary conditions don't look standard. Are you sure they're correct?
    I just saw it as a question on a past exam paper and the boundary conditions were given like that. Also on that note, do you think you could explain what you mean by standard boundary conditions for a sturm-liouville system. I remember briefly reading it in my notes but I didn't really understand so how can you look at the boundary conditions and see they are not standard? And if they are not standard, how do I go about solving the question?

ReputationRep:
    By standard (my terminology), I mean boundary conditions of the form

A_1y(a)+A_2y'(a)=0

B_1y(b)+B_2y'(b)=0

Since you saw it somewhere, I'll assume your boundary conditions are correct.

The d.e. your considering y''+\lambda y=0 has auxillary equation r^2+\lambda =0. Hence r=\pm \sqrt{ -\lambda} . There are 3 cases to consider.

Case I. \lambda &lt;0 . Put \lambda=-a^2 .

Here y= c_1e^{ax}+c_2e^{-ax}.

After applying the boundary conditions, I get a=0 which contradicts our assumption on \lambda. Hence no solution in this case. This is odd!

Case II. \lambda =0 .

Here y= c_1x+c_2. Boundary conditions imply here that y= c_2. That is, the solution is not unique. Again, very odd!

I'm not going to bother with case III because it's clear that this problem is not well-posed. This is why I'm questioning your boundary conditions. The conditions I stated in the beginning lead to a well-posed problem; that is, there exists a unique solution for each choice of \lambda.

It could be that there's a typo in the exam you're looking at.

ReputationRep:
    By standard (my terminology), I mean boundary conditions of the form

A_1y(a)+A_2y'(a)=0

B_1y(b)+B_2y'(b)=0

Since you saw it somewhere, I'll assume your boundary conditions are correct.

The d.e. your considering y''+\lambda y=0 has auxillary equation r^2+\lambda =0. Hence r=\pm \sqrt{ -\lambda} . There are 3 cases to consider.

Case I. \lambda &lt;0 . Put \lambda=-a^2 .

Here y= c_1e^{ax}+c_2e^{-ax}.

After applying the boundary conditions, I get a=0 which contradicts our assumption on \lambda. Hence no solution in this case. This is odd!

Case II. \lambda =0 .

Here y= c_1x+c_2. Boundary conditions imply here that y= c_2. That is, the solution is not unique. Again, very odd!

I'm not going to bother with case III because it's clear that this problem is not well-posed. This is why I'm questioning your boundary conditions. The conditions I stated in the beginning lead to a well-posed problem; that is, there exists a unique solution for each choice of \lambda.

It could be that there's a typo in the exam you're looking at.
    Hmm, when I was doing it, I thought it was a bit weird too because I'm usually good at these but this one was a bit of a *****. I assumed I was doing something wrong though. I've just triple checked the question and the boundary conditions are definitely that. It's a question from a past paper. There may be a typo but usually the lecturers point that out. I guess I'll make it a point to email and ask, to be sure.

The first part asks if any eigenvalues exist A < 0. If so give the corresponding eigenfunctions. Second part goes onto ask to determine whether A = 0 is an eigenvalue and if so, give a corresponding eigenfunction. And then the third part says determine all eigenvalues A > 0 and give corresponding eigenfunctions. From the way the question is phrased, the case A > 0 definitely has eigenvalues so maybe it the other cases are a bit weird, it's meant to be that way? I don't really know.

ReputationRep:
    I have thought about this problem some more and I realise that I was too hasty in dismissing the boundary conditions as a typo. In fact, they are correct and are known as periodic boundary conditions.

In Case I, I forgot about the possibility that c_1=c_2=0 giving the trivial solution. Hence the answer to the first part of the exam question is that there are no eigenvalues in this case because there's only the trivial solution.

The answer to the second part is that \lambda=0 is an eigenvalue since there's a nontrivial solution. You can take as an eigenfunction y(x)=1 .

I think Case III leads to two independent eigenfunctions for each eigenvlaue.

ReputationRep:
    I have thought about this problem some more and I realise that I was too hasty in dismissing the boundary conditions as a typo. In fact, they are correct and are known as periodic boundary conditions.

In Case I, I forgot about the possibility that c_1=c_2=0 giving the trivial solution. Hence the answer to the first part of the exam question is that there are no eigenvalues in this case because there's only the trivial solution.

The answer to the second part is that \lambda=0 is an eigenvalue since there's a nontrivial solution. You can take as an eigenfunction y(x)=1 .

I think Case III leads to two independent eigenfunctions for each eigenvlaue.
    For case 2, where  \lambda = 0 , I get that  c_1 = 0 and I'm not entirely sure how to determine  c_2 from what I know. How did you get a non-trivial solution?

And I just want to make sure a part of my reasoning was correct for case 1. I got the trivial solutions but I didn't know if how I justified in my head was mathematically sound.

For one bit, I got  y(0) = A cosh(\alpha \pi) + Bsinh(\alpha \pi) = A and then concluded A = 0 and B = since there were no cosh or sinh terms on the right.

ReputationRep:
    And for \lambda &gt; 0 I got  \lambda = 4k^2 and the corresponding eigenfunction to be  y(x) = Acos\alpha x = A cos (4k^2)x where A =/= 0.

Just want to make sure that is correct because I don't feel confident on some parts of my working out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    For case 2, where  \lambda = 0 , I get that  c_1 = 0 and I'm not entirely sure how to determine  c_2 from what I know. How did you get a non-trivial solution?

And I just want to make sure a part of my reasoning was correct for case 1. I got the trivial solutions but I didn't know if how I justified in my head was mathematically sound.

For one bit, I got  y(0) = A cosh(\alpha \pi) + Bsinh(\alpha \pi) = A and then concluded A = 0 and B = since there were no cosh or sinh terms on the right.
    You can't determine c_2, it's arbitrary. The solution is therefore y=c_2 for any choice of c_2. Hence, nontrivial solutions exits. I just picked c_2=1 but anything other choice is fine. Keep in mind that eigenfunctions are sometimes only determined up to a constant multiple (multiplying the d.e. and b.c.s by a constant and you still have a soln with the same eigenvalue.)

For your second part, I worked with exponentials, not hyperbolic trig functions, and the equations were much simpler to solve. (By the way, the equation you obtained after evaluating at the boundary point doesn't look correct.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    And for \lambda &gt; 0 I got  \lambda = 4k^2 and the corresponding eigenfunction to be  y(x) = Acos\alpha x = A cos (4k^2)x where A =/= 0.

Just want to make sure that is correct because I don't feel confident on some parts of my working out.
    I think there's something wrong here. You should have two independent solutions for each eigenvalue (meaning distinct functions).

By the way, why do you have a 4 in your expression for the eigenvalue? It serves absolutely no purpose!

ReputationRep:
    I think there's something wrong here. You should have two independent solutions for each eigenvalue (meaning distinct functions).

By the way, why do you have a 4 in your expression for the eigenvalue? It serves absolutely no purpose!
    I can't see where I've made my error. It's most likely an assumption error (I think) so I'm just going to post up some of my working out for  \lambda &gt; 0 .

y(x) = Acos(\alpha x) + Bsin(\alpha x)

\Rightarrow y(0) = A

y(\pi) = Acos(\alpha \pi)

y(0) = y(\pi) \Rightarrow cos(\alpha \pi) = 1 

\Rightarrow \alpha = 2k, k\in \mathbb{Z}

y'(x) = -\alpha Asin(\alpha x) + \alpha B cos(\alpha x)

\Rightarrow y'(0) = \alpha B 

y'(\pi) = -\alpha A sin(\alpha \pi) + \alpha B cos(\alpha \pi)

y'(0) = y'(\pi) \Rightarrow \alpha B cos(\alpha \pi) = \alpha B

\Rightarrow cos(\alpha \pi) = 1

\Rightarrow \alpha = 2k, k\in \mathbb{Z}

\lambda = (\alpha)^2 \Rightarrow \lambda = 4k^2 and y(x) = Acos(\alpha x) = A cos (4k^2)x, A=/= 0

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, ignore my remark about the number 4; I misread your email and didn't realise you were giving me the actual values for \lambda .

Now for your calculation. I think you made a mistake on the 9th line:

y'(0)=y'(\pi)\implies \alpha B=-\alpha \sin(\alpha \pi)+\alpha B\cos(\alpha \pi) ;

not

\alpha B\cos(\alpha \pi)=\alpha B

as you have written. You should end up with an eigenspace that's 2-dimensional.

Everthing else looks correct.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, ignore my remark about the number 4; I misread your email and didn't realise you were giving me the actual values for \lambda .

Now for your calculation. I think you made a mistake on the 9th line:

y'(0)=y'(\pi)\implies \alpha B=-\alpha \sin(\alpha \pi)+\alpha B\cos(\alpha \pi) ;

not

\alpha B\cos(\alpha \pi)=\alpha B

as you have written. You should end up with an eigenspace that's 2-dimensional.

Everthing else looks correct.
    But won't the sin term always equate to zero?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you're quite right. I was looking at general periodic boundary conditions where the function is evaluated at a general point L . When L=\pi , it introduces a simplication. So you're calculation is correct. In this special case, the eigenspace is only 1-dimensional. Keep in mind, however, that in the general case the eigenspace will be 2-dimensional.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.