Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone else made any mistakes after passing driving test? watch

ReputationRep:
    My driving teacher said that you'll start learning driving after your driving test...that's where you get the experience and where you learn from your mistakes!

ReputationRep:
    I expect the everyday driver will probably make 2+ majors or serious or both mistakes aswel as added minors everyday lol. I was thinking its pretty hypocritical of the examiner to tell the student that he/she's made a mistake which will result into an automatic fail then the examiner go home that day/night to make more mistakes on his way home than the student! Doesn't seem fair to me cause that's saying they are not safe for the road, nobody is lol.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is old but i've just experienced the same thing & i've not been passed that long.

I did the exact same yesterday. I was on the bypass and I overtook a driver then realised that it really wasn't necessary- even though i thought it was at the time- and just wanted to get back into the left as soon as possible. I over took him and another car and then went back into the left. I checked my mirrors and knew the driver behind in the left was close but didn't think he was as close as he was and cut in front. I realised straight after i done it and felt so bad and couldn't stop thinking about it, especially since i had one of my friends in the car with me.

I was so bad i actually phoned me dad (who is on holiday just now) in tears telling him that i didn't want to go out without him any more in case i caused an accident.

We all make mistakes and it will better all of us as drivers because we'll learn from that mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I've accidently cut someone up before, twice actually (not the same person, two incidents) Don't feel too bad about it, I made a lot of silly mistakes when I first passed, but as I got more experience, the mistakes became rarer and rarer.

ReputationRep:
    I do a right turn out of the side road at a fairly wide T junction usually at least once a day without incident but this particular day a few months ago I forgot to do one thing - rock my head around the left screen pillar and you can guess what happened ......

The little Micra and my blind spot were in perfect sync as he approached me on the main road from the left

I pulled out as to me it was clear and then just as I angled right I glimpsed the Micra !! ....... luckily the Micra driver has anticipated this so no collision

I jestured sorry - might have been 3 times - and all was well

What was really embarassing? ....... the fact that I am a senior IAM observer with IAM stickers in the rear window !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I bet those posting in this thread don't feel too silly...........

ReputationRep:
    I passed just over a month ago, about a week ago (Friday) I got a car. Few days later (Tuesday) I crashed the passenger wing into a wall. Luckily the indicator and lights are working, bar the side light (wing needs replacing). I hadn't driven since then until tonight (Sunday). I got a friend to sit in the car and she helped me do some parking stuff up in a stupidly hilly, tight, busy road where I work. I was still very very nervous and cautious in the car, probably too much so .

I'm feeling pretty shaken still and I don't know if I can actually drive myself to work tomorrow .

Any advice?

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I try and avoid driving anywhere unless I know there is a nice car park at the end! Anything with bay parking and not many spaces means I'll find alternate modes of transport :getmecoat:
    Haha, I am so glad I'm not the only person that does this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curlyx888)
    I passed just over a month ago, about a week ago (Friday) I got a car. Few days later (Tuesday) I crashed the passenger wing into a wall. Luckily the indicator and lights are working, bar the side light (wing needs replacing). I hadn't driven since then until tonight (Sunday). I got a friend to sit in the car and she helped me do some parking stuff up in a stupidly hilly, tight, busy road where I work. I was still very very nervous and cautious in the car, probably too much so .

I'm feeling pretty shaken still and I don't know if I can actually drive myself to work tomorrow .

Any advice?

x
    Just remember, you CAN drive. You know you can. Stuff does happen that shakes us up and puts us off driving. It's happened to me a lot. I slid across the road when it was icey and was shaking afterwards, I completely ignored the fact there was a roundabout in front of me once and nearly hit someone, and hit my neighbours car once. The neighbours car thing really made me think about selling my car because it really pissed me off more than shook me up.

Why don't you go on a small trip first? I don't know how far your work is but just get used to the fact you can drive without being shook up. That's what I've done in the past. As soon as you've driven around a bit the feeling will go, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Just remember, you CAN drive. You know you can. Stuff does happen that shakes us up and puts us off driving. It's happened to me a lot. I slid across the road when it was icey and was shaking afterwards, I completely ignored the fact there was a roundabout in front of me once and nearly hit someone, and hit my neighbours car once. The neighbours car thing really made me think about selling my car because it really pissed me off more than shook me up.

Why don't you go on a small trip first? I don't know how far your work is but just get used to the fact you can drive without being shook up. That's what I've done in the past. As soon as you've driven around a bit the feeling will go, trust me.
    Work is literally like 2 miles away - I used to walk it. It is a ridiculous road though, it's very steep (my instructor's brand new 1.6 mini had to go up it in 2nd gear), lots of parked cars to the right as you're driving up, and there are ALWAYS cars coming in both directions so maneouvres of any description are difficult at the best of times.

I find myself really wondering how on earth I passed. It took me 4 tests to pass too so it's not like it was a fluke!

Not to mention, after having bought the car I now have 40 pounds (more to accurately -1,960 pounds) to live on until pay day (Friday). And I can't even use the damn thing! .
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by curlyx888)
    Work is literally like 2 miles away - I used to walk it. It is a ridiculous road though, it's very steep (my instructor's brand new 1.6 mini had to go up it in 2nd gear), lots of parked cars to the right as you're driving up, and there are ALWAYS cars coming in both directions so maneouvres of any description are difficult at the best of times.

I find myself really wondering how on earth I passed. It took me 4 tests to pass too so it's not like it was a fluke!

Not to mention, after having bought the car I now have 40 pounds (more to accurately -1,960 pounds) to live on until pay day (Friday). And I can't even use the damn thing! .
    Is it the sort of place that would be quieter say at weekends, or evenings? If so, I suggest driving there when it should be quieter, just to build your confidence a bit. Could you get someone to meet you when you get there to help you park (if you need that help)?

As for my mistakes, yes I've made a number of small ones, including stalling. A few others like getting into the wrong lane, but that was also because I didn't know the area (I'm now living in a place completely different to where I did my test). Also nearly had a very nasty accident with a lorry, but it started moving into my lane as I was driving past it, so not my fault!

ReputationRep:
    I just passed my test like a week ago and bounced off the curb (badly) and whilst going on to a round about, oh boy do I feel *****y but it's normal. P-plates have really helped, everyone seems to stay well away from me!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Gingerjess21)
    I just passed my test like a week ago and bounced off the curb (badly) and whilst going on to a round about, oh boy do I feel *****y but it's normal. P-plates have really helped, everyone seems to stay well away from me!
    Please do pay more attention to the dates of this thread; this thread is 5 years old! Make a new thread in future.

ReputationRep:
    I've taken a very tight corner wide, I've done that a couple of times now, not on the same corner. It's made me feel awful, I am learning to take more time with driving, I panic when other cars are behind me, I think I'm going to slow - even though I'm going the speed limit - does anyone else have that problem?

ReputationRep:
    You're fine. I was driving home from college today and some ****ing idiot woman beeped me because i was in the merger lane. The roundabout is 4 lanes wide, the left and middle left lane can go straight on so i go in the left and just slow down a little to merge which is what everyone else does but this woman beeps me and starts shouting at me even though I havent done anything wrong. You wont be the worst driver on the road trust me. I make mistakes still now, everyone does. You only learn to drive after passing your test
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Please do pay more attention to the dates of this thread; this thread is 5 years old! Make a new thread in future.
    That's two newbies bumping this thread as a first post in the last two months :rofl: Makes you wonder how they found this thread and why did they decide to sign up just to post in it, then log out and probably never post again...

(Original post by Samantha1000)
    I've taken a very tight corner wide, I've done that a couple of times now, not on the same corner. It's made me feel awful, I am learning to take more time with driving, I panic when other cars are behind me, I think I'm going to slow - even though I'm going the speed limit - does anyone else have that problem?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Samantha1000)
    Please don't bump outdated threads - closing it now.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.