Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

They say its often easier to talk to complete strangers than to people you know so here goes. I've recently been diagnosed with psychotic depression following a prolonged period of low mood and thoughts of suicide which culminated in me making two attempts on my life and being interned in a psychiatric hospital for around a month. I was in my third year at uni and am having to retake my third year... I was just wondering what other people out there who have gone through similar experiences and what there experience of depression is like?

ReputationRep:
    I was in hospital for depression too (only without the psychosis [which didn't stop them from putting me on antipsychotics ]). Fortunately I've now fully recovered, thanks to finally getting put on the right antidepressants, but depression basically completely took over my life for the past two years. I had to stop going to uni (returning this september though), lost a couple of friends who couldn't cope with being around me when I was so depressed, and came very close to killing myself, although ultimately I decided to go into hospital in order to prevent me from killing myself.

Sounds like we've got a few things in common, feel free to pm me, or I post a lot in the depression society too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.