Turn on thread page Beta

close + delete pls watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Thread has been answered & thanks for your help.

Forum staff ---> Could you please close & delete this thread as I feel it doesn't help me nor anyone else using the search box.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, one of my mothers friends husband is a manager of a waste management centre, they deal with collection, sorting and disposal of the waste and I believe he earns 60k and gets a company car. But manages about 100 people and has a 6 figure budget. As for a normal bin collector, I don't believe it would be 40k a year. He still calls himself a binman, as that's what he started off at and saying you're a waste management manager is a bit of a mouthful.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure I read that somewhere that the salary of a bin-man in Birmingham is around 35-40k which is crazy but they do a job alot of people wouldn't do.

ReputationRep:
    This suggests starting salaries could be c.£14k: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lications.html
    This backs up what salaries can rise to: http://www.birminghampost.net/commen...5233-20457592/

As with all salaries, they'll likely vary by region, though. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    so wait... why do so many people take the piss out off it?

You need no qualifications, right?

Is it competitive to get a job as a binman?
    The type of work (dealing with rubbish, after all) is the reason why people demean it. It's also the reason why nobody wants to do the job, which is why it has to be highly paid.

ReputationRep:
    so wait... why do so many people take the piss out off it?

You need no qualifications, right?

Is it competitive to get a job as a binman?
    No idea if it is competitive, but i know it frankly.. a well paid job, considering the only factor about it is that most people wouldnt do that, it requires in essence no special skill or knowledge, like from a degree etc.

So tbh, a binman earning say.. 25k a year, could laugh at the face of maybe half, maybe more, of the graduates out there right now.

ReputationRep:
    LOL seriously, BIG WOW, its only rubbish nothing a shower can't get rid off .

What does a binman job involve? exactly... (going to field of rubbish etc.. or just picking up bins and tipping them in lorries?)
    Indeed, I take your point. For the pay it isn't that bad. As far as I know, the job simply involves walking around and loading bins onto the back of the truck. Then, when the area's complete, heading to the landfill and emptying it, and heading back to the depot. I can't imagine much admin work being involved

Edit for apostrophe pedantry.

ReputationRep:
    A job is a....job. Better than living off benefits.

I seen 1 the other day that looked like Michael Bubble
    I'm in love with my local binman... wake up early just to see him :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    oo , eww rats & **** though . meh... going to the landfill I would have thought is for a split second.

Is it me or do binmen generally look more *cool* these days?

I seen 1 the other day that looked like Michael Bubble
    Yes, I do believe you may face the odd rat or two, and let's not forget that the odd corpse has been found by binmen, in both the bins and at the landfill! Do they look cool? I'm not sure, but it's certainly not a job that I could face doing.

ReputationRep:
    Did any of you see a while ago the episode of Rhod Gilbert's work experience where he worked as a bin man?

It is a lot of hard work i cant remember how many miles exactly because it was on tv a year ago but they walk for miles everyday doing all the different areas, early mornings, dealing with peoples rubbish, lifting heavy bins. Definitely not an easy job.

ReputationRep:
    lol rat eww, what is a corpse? I feel stupid now lOL
    I apologise in advance. A corpse is the remains of a deceased animal, in this case human.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.