Turn on thread page Beta

Disliked because my parents help me financially watch

So sometimes I feel people will talk about me behind my back because they can help me financially more than others..... parents income was just under£70k before recession, lucky to get much over £55k now.

I've had part time job through first 2 years of HE and I only asked for money when I was stuck, which I paid back. I won't get next 2 years tuition loan now, and my parents will pay it for me, it's necessary but they don't just hand out blank cheques.

But the most ironic thing about ANYONE who I feel contempt from.

They are going to university in the hope that one day they can do the same for their kids.

ReputationRep:
    OP...is this "contempt" something actually happening or something that you THINK is happening?

ReputationRep:
    How comes you won't get the next 2 years tuition loan ?

ReputationRep:
    Last I knew, student loans were still available....??
    Either way, why let it bother you? Getting through university does not guarantee anything, its how well you do with what you have gained once its over that counts. The wealth or lack of wealth of parents, isn't a contributing factor to future success.
    People might moan when they have no money, but you seem to be moaning because you have the money/have the option to ask for assistance with the costs from parents..
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I know some people who are helped out (to varying extents) by their parents, and I've found that any "disliking" towards them is both rare and completely in jest. If people actually have a problem with it then they're just being silly and you should ignore them, but I can't help but think that you're being a bit paranoid. I mean, this kind of thing doesn't come up in everyday situations, unless it's the only thing you talk about (in which case it's probably the fact that you talk about it which is making people dislike you).

This is contempt that is sometimes there or I feel it, I am good at seeing small things like that in people's attitudes. It is there whether obvious or not.

Also I'm probably one of the most well off in the class, car bought and insured for me, only thing I do is pay for petrol, and I know others are not so fortunate at all. It's kind of like I really can't moan about money or things being dear because others are 4 figures down in overdraft.

Even when those LESS well off are there because of their lack of sense, I'd be hundreds in debt to nationwide if I wasn't sensible with my spending...(was bad last summer tbh).

I just don't get why people moan when they plan on being just as well off as me when they have a family....and WONT appreciate it.

(Original post by DeepStar)
    Last I knew, student loans were still available....??
    I get maintenance loan next 2 years but not tuition loan.

....also, before you say it, you might as well ask me why the sky is blue.

ReputationRep:
    Just get a loan or get a job and stop whingeing - nobody cares where the money comes from, unless you are standing on a corner and advertising it? If your parents pay - so? Take it. Use it. Earn some more. Grow up a bit.

(Original post by Molltroll)
    Just get a loan or get a job and stop whingeing - nobody cares where the money comes from, unless you are standing on a corner and advertising it? If your parents pay - so? Take it. Use it. Earn some more. Grow up a bit.
    Isn't me that needs to grow up more than anyone else, really, trust me when I say that.

ReputationRep:
    so what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So sometimes I feel people will talk about me behind my back because they can help me financially more than others..... parents income was just under£70k before recession, lucky to get much over £55k now.

I've had part time job through first 2 years of HE and I only asked for money when I was stuck, which I paid back. I won't get next 2 years tuition loan now, and my parents will pay it for me, it's necessary but they don't just hand out blank cheques.

They are going to university in the hope that one day they can do the same for their kids.
    Anyone who speaks behind your back is not worth caring about.

ReputationRep:
    I get maintenance loan next 2 years but not tuition loan.

....also, before you say it, you might as well ask me why the sky is blue.
    Stop moaning. Get a job and grow up a little in the process.

ReputationRep:
    maybe your a spoilt brat and go crazy when you don't get your own way?

ReputationRep:
    Grow up slutface

(Original post by DeepStar)
    Stop moaning. Get a job and grow up a little in the process.
    Where was I moaning?

ReputationRep:
    I dislike people who get helped by their parents and happily live off them.

Earning your own way while parents help with their income is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Where was I moaning?
    Where weren't you?

ReputationRep:
    I think this kind of thing is normally misinterpreted. My parents help me out (they've paid my tuition fees as far as possible, I have minimal loan for that) but I've never really felt any resentment from anyone for that. To be perfectly honest I haven't discussed money sources with my friends, everyone just has a vague idea of who normally has to be a stingy, and who can normally eat out for lunch, etc.

Are you sure you don't unintentionally gloat? That could do it. People will naturally be envious of you dodging so much debt, but resentment isn't natural if it's obvious that the person involved really appreciates the financial help.

(Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    I dislike people who get helped by their parents and happily live off them.

Earning your own way while parents help with their income is fine.
    Yes, I agree with this. People should appreciate the amount of help their parents are giving them (if applicable).

ReputationRep:

1 - You are VERY lucky to be born into a family like that. I hope you realise that. A lot of people don't, or can be quite ignorant to the reality of other peoples lives.
    2 - Why can't you get tuition fee loans for the next 2 years?
    3 - Surely you can see their reasons? For whatever reasons you have needed money, and your parents have been able to provide that. For the people you are described, that probably was never the case. Their parents probably are never able to help them out with money at all.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i'm jelous, I wish my parents pay my university...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.