Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (c) Explain how transmission of information in the nervous system may be modified by summation. (4 marks)

I'm not sure. I know its something to do with temporal/spatial summation, is the question something to do with neurotransmitters. What is it asking and how would I go about explaining it?

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    (c) Explain how transmission of information in the nervous system may be modified by summation. (4 marks)

I'm not sure. I know its something to do with temporal/spatial summation, is the question something to do with neurotransmitters. What is it asking and how would I go about explaining it?

Thanks for any help
    Hmm, did this exam in January, think i remember...but dont quote me on this...

Summation can either excite the postsynaptic neurone, or inhibit it, therefore having a say wether an action potential is transmitted....spatial summation can act from many neurones to a single one (or other way round), and temporal is the frequency of action potentials (?) ...

Think the question is basically trying to ask how summation acts and the job it does....Hope it helps, but im pretty sure i just wrote a load of rubbish
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SteveBwfc)
    Hmm, did this exam in January, think i remember...but dont quote me on this...

Summation can either excite the postsynaptic neurone, or inhibit it, therefore having a say wether an action potential is transmitted....spatial summation can act from many neurones to a single one (or other way round), and temporal is the frequency of action potentials (?) ...

Think the question is basically trying to ask how summation acts and the job it does....Hope it helps, but im pretty sure i just wrote a load of rubbish
    Thanks a lot Its better than no reply and very useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)

Thanks for any help
    role of summation;spacial summation (inhibitory or excitatory); temporal summation would seem appropriate? (?presynaptic modulation if you do it).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.