Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I got these two offers but not sure where to go.

My problems is: I haven't any prior working experience(though I secure an internship for only 2 months this coming summer). It seems feasible to do a part-time finance related job in LSE while it's impossible in Oxford. And I think in Oxford I'm not competitive at all comparing those with average 2 yrs working experience.

Do you think it will be a tragedy for me in seeking jobs if I choose Oxford? Or no matter where I decide to go it will be a tragedy.....Please help me if you know anything about the placement this year. Thanks a lot!

Btw, I'm an international student.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably be too busy to have a part time job wherever you go. What a choice to have though.

Depends what you want to do and where you want to work. For IB in London LSE probably has the (slight) edge. Pretty much anything else and I'd personally go to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    for IB LSE doesnt have an edge. if anything oxford gives you a better chance. go to oxford. you ll enjoy the uni experience and will meet more all rounded people.

ReputationRep:
    From yesterday I feel a little depressed because the future seems to be dim to some extent. Well, my family is not rich even in my home country, so thousands of pounds is a very very very heavy burden. Although my parents appear to be happy to afford all the expenses, I feel guilty actually. I wish to have the highest probability of getting a job in UK after graduation because salary there is much higher than in my home country. Then LSE better?

ReputationRep:
    Go to Oxford you will have a better uni experience and no place will not hire you because you went to Oxford..they love Oxbridge graduates.....I dont think you have anything to lose you can always do a postgrad of PHD at LSE

ReputationRep:
    Go to oxford. No brainer.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, you mind sharing your stats? Gmat/Gre, toefl, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imdingzai)
    From yesterday I feel a little depressed because the future seems to be dim to some extent. Well, my family is not rich even in my home country, so thousands of pounds is a very very very heavy burden. Although my parents appear to be happy to afford all the expenses, I feel guilty actually. I wish to have the highest probability of getting a job in UK after graduation because salary there is much higher than in my home country. Then LSE better?
    Don't feel guilty. A degree from either uni and you'll probably be able to pay it back in your first year or two.

To clarify: I wasn't saying that LSE was better. I just meant that some people regard LSE as better in the eyes of some IBs.

But overall, I agree with the others. Definitely go to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys and girls!!! You cheer me up so much! I feel better now XD ~~

I LOVE Oxford! But it's normal to worry before making this life-long decision, right?

But anyone can tell me something about the placement these years? Some statistics,examples,or something else? Especially for non-experience like me...Or what can I do now to improve my CV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ametista616)
    Just out of curiosity, you mind sharing your stats? Gmat/Gre, toefl, etc.
    I now in Netherlands but I'm Chinese. GPA 8.8/10, Toefl 110, GRE 690+800+3.5(Poor writing), Dual degree. Oxford may think I'm a research geek so they offered me a place. But I prefer working to researching.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.