Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If I am considering several gap year schemes but also want to apply to university what are the options to me?

I'm not interested in taking a gap year if I don't get onto one of the schemes but if I don't get one of my top choices I would probably prefer one of the gap year schemes.

Do you have to state you want deferred entry when applying or can you tell them at a later date? (I.e when accepting/ rejecting offers)

Also, if I get accepted by one of my middlish universities next year but also have an offer for an amazing gap year scheme and reject the offer and take the gap year will it count against me if I reapplied to the same place next year?

ReputationRep:
    you can tell them at a later date, some will agree some won't. ring up their admissions offices before hand and ask them what their normal stance is.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    you can tell them at a later date, some will agree some won't. ring up their admissions offices before hand and ask them what their normal stance is.
    Ah okay thank you, do you know what the likelihood is of acceptance? Are they usually quite accepting in such circumstances or do many reject it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tateco)
    Ah okay thank you, do you know what the likelihood is of acceptance? Are they usually quite accepting in such circumstances or do many reject it?
    I asked 3 universities last year if I could defer, and they were all fine with it. I've never heard of anyone being told they can't defer, although I'm sure it does happen. You should just email your choices and see what they say.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As long as you don't mess the uni around they're unlikely to care if you decline their offer and then reapply. You can withdraw right up until the day you're supposed to go, but the earlier you tell them the better. If it's after results day then they will be able to offer your place to someone else, and before that it doesn't matter so much as they give out many more offers than they have places as they know people will withdraw (or miss their offer).

As long as you have a good reason, which you do, asking to defer shouldn't be a problem.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.