Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically im looking for some information from people who sail at York or Durham. I am finding it hard to chose which to go to for Chemistry so I'm looking into every little thing I can. Any info you can please

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about York, but Durham has a very active sailing club; the main focus is on fleet racing, which they're pretty successful at. They sail fireflies at Derwent. Most of the year is focused on the squads, there's not much for people who just want to sail for fun, but then after exams in the summer they organise RYA courses and more relaxed sailing days, where everyone heads up to Derwent for sailing and a bbq. That's pretty much all I know about dinghy sailing, but there's more information on the club website (just google durham sailing).
    I was on the yachting team last year (couldn't go this year ) at BUSA in Portsmouth - we go out on a Sunsail regatta beforehand to train, and the old boys (the "Dambusters") come back to race and catchup in the evenings (usually involving copious amounts of alcohol.....), then we had two teams in the BUSA yachting championships. There's a new focus on improving Durham yachting, with more training weekends throughout the year (4 days, immediately before the event, isn't really enough!).

Hope that's helpful! I'm not massively involved with them, as I don't sail dinghys anymore but my experiences with them have been good, and they're a very active society (they join up with Newcastle sailing club for joint socials quite a lot).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.