Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Strength training! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Didn't get much food or sleep before this session unfortunately, but it was still ok:

Bench Press 90kg x 5,4,3. Reasonably happy with this, should make 5,5,5 soon.

Deadlifts - did some work with mixed grip at 100kg and 120kg just to get used to it. Going to get some chalk too as everyone has to bite that bullet eventually.

Rear delt raises.

ReputationRep:
    Weighed in at 85.5kg a few days ago, forgot to mention.

Strict Press 62.5kg x 5,5,5. Felt fine, very pleased with this.

Squats 105kg x 3,3,3. First time in oly shoes, was a bit different to usual so I kept the volume low.

Decline sit ups 10kg x 10.

I'm going to uni on saturday so the plan is do my normal bench and deadlift session tomorrow, then max out the 4 main lifts on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    Weighed in at 85.5kg a few days ago, forgot to mention.

Strict Press 62.5kg x 5,5,5. Felt fine, very pleased with this.

Squats 105kg x 3,3,3. First time in oly shoes, was a bit different to usual so I kept the volume low.

Decline sit ups 10kg x 10.

I'm going to uni on saturday so the plan is do my normal bench and deadlift session tomorrow, then max out the 4 main lifts on Friday.
    Which oly shoes did you decide on?

Strong pressing as usual and good squats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cast.Iron)
    Which oly shoes did you decide on?

Strong pressing as usual and good squats.
    There was a shop near me which sold Power Perfect II so I went for them.

ReputationRep:
    Good(ish) session:

Bench 90kg x 5,5,5. Felt strong, really pleased with this.

Deadlifts 135kg x 5. Form is definitely deteriorating towards the end of the set, but I'm really not sure how to stop this happening...

Rear delt raises.

Maxing out on Friday, I'm aiming for a 370 total and a 75 strict press.

ReputationRep:
    whats the reason behind deadlifting on a different day from squats.}

I may do it, my lower back is too fatigued after squatting so my dl suffers quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallium)
    whats the reason behind deadlifting on a different day from squats.}

I may do it, my lower back is too fatigued after squatting so my dl suffers quite a bit.
    Primary reason was similar to you: squats were knackering my hamstrings and I felt it was impeding my deadlift progress too much. Also, splitting things up the way I've done has given me more flexibility in how I plan my week because I can now lift on 2 consecutive days if I have to. You can't really do that if you're squatting every session (inb4 Mr. Fox tells me I could).

Anyway today was my last session before uni starts, so me and a mate went for a powerlifting meet style session. PBs all round!

Bench: 105kg
    Squat: 125kg
    Deadlift: 150kg

This gives me a total of 380kg at bodyweight of 86.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    Primary reason was similar to you: squats were knackering my hamstrings and I felt it was impeding my deadlift progress too much. Also, splitting things up the way I've done has given me more flexibility in how I plan my week because I can now lift on 2 consecutive days if I have to. You can't really do that if you're squatting every session (inb4 Mr. Fox tells me I could).

Anyway today was my last session before uni starts, so me and a mate went for a powerlifting meet style session. PBs all round!

Bench: 105kg
    Squat: 125kg
    Deadlift: 150kg

This gives me a total of 380kg at bodyweight of 86.
    PBs for everyone, nice work mate! Now just focus on that 400kg total.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so bit of an interesting week. Didn't get inducted to the Jesus gym until today and the last week has involved lots of alcohol and not a lot of sleep. Add to that starting rugby fitness training, I've decided to take off about 10% from each lift and just work up again.

Strict Press 55kg x 5,5,5. Felt easy, may not have lost much strength here.

Deadlifts 120kg x 5. The guy with me said form looked super strict so that was good.
    140kg x 1. Way less than super strict...

Pendlay Rows 65kg x 5,5,5.

ReputationRep:
    Training interrupted by rugby initiation, the less said the better. Log for the 11th:

Bench 80kg x 5,5,8. This felt pretty light, maybe deloaded too far but better to go too light than too heavy.

Squats 90kg x 5,5,5. Done in olympic shoes, felt awkward but that's probably because I haven't squatted in quite a while.

Pullups (Overhand grip) x 5,4,4. No proper pullup bar, done on a rack.

ReputationRep:
    Been pretty ill over the last few days, today was the first time I felt decent enough to lift, but still quite bad. Unfortunately when I woke up this morning my shoulder was hurting, no idea why, and military pressing felt bad so I cut the session pretty short Hope it feels better in the morning, this has been an awful couple of weeks for lifting.

Strict Press 57.5kg x 5.
    Deadlifts 110kg x 5.

ReputationRep:
    ^ You will much better after recovering through this illness. Too much exertion results strain. My left arm resonates in nothing but pure pain.

I am liking the progress!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    Strict Press 57.5kg x 5.
    Deadlifts 110kg x 5.
    Nice, your upper body stuff kicks my ass but your squats/deads are around the same. V close to 400 total though which is my aim. Jealous...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Nice, your upper body stuff kicks my ass but your squats/deads are around the same. V close to 400 total though which is my aim. Jealous...
    Cheers, although I do weigh a bit more too.

ReputationRep:
    Still been feeling a bit ill but well enough to lift light today:

Bench 82.5kg x 5,5,5.
    Deadlifts 122.5kg x 5. Bit sloppy.

Some chin ups.

ReputationRep:
    Still feeling ill but definitely on the mend.

Strict Press 57.5kg x 5,5,5. Felt too hard for someone who's done that with 62.5.

Squats 80kg x 5,5,5. Only just realised how much I was relying on the mirror in front of the rack at my old gym now that I don't have one. Don't feel comfortable squatting yet so I'm not going to increase the weight until I do. Also all the rugby / cycling is making it tough.

ReputationRep:
    Meh session today. Pre workout nutrition consisted of a chocolate cookie with smarties in it: delicious but not as effective as I hoped.

Bench 85kg x 5,5,4. No failure but pretty sure I wouldn't have made the last rep. Not too worried about this, more consistent food and I'll be fine.

Deadlifts 125kg x 3. Felt fine but it was destroying my shins, wasn't wearing long socks today.

ReputationRep:
    mcdonald's stacks better with workout performance bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_tait)
    mcdonald's stacks better with workout performance bro
    Sorted it out today, had a footlong meatball subway pre w/o instead.

Strict Press 60kg x 3,5,5. Wasn't that bad, should have just gone for 3x5.

Pendlay Rows 65kg x 5,5,5.

Squats 80kg x 5,5. These still feel horrendous, need to get some videos and see what's going wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Rolled my ankle in hockey today. It's pretty swollen so if it's a sprain I definitely can't squat and might not be able to deadlift for a while

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 1, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.