Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    No worries. I stole the idea off Becca's blog on here.

Your bench press is higher than mine...
    Take a video of your squat and upload here to show powerlifter and he'll help you out with your technique...
    The only reason my bench press is high is because of the chest / biceps mentality that pervades the school gym

Conveniently I got someone to video me on a warm up set today, should I PM powerlifter or make a post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    The only reason my bench press is high is because of the chest / biceps mentality that pervades the school gym

Conveniently I got someone to video me on a warm up set today, should I PM powerlifter or make a post?
    Tbh if you post in the muscle building soc and/or the ask powerlifter threads then you'll get replies from him and others...

ReputationRep:
    Tbh if you post in the muscle building soc and/or the ask powerlifter threads then you'll get replies from him and others...
    Thanks, rep'd!

ReputationRep:
    I missed out heavy squats today so I can work on my form. Just did some sets on 60kg, really focused on getting my ass out and weight onto my heels. The outsides of my feet were coming up a bit at the end so I'll work on that next time.

OHP - 40kg x 5,5,5. I'm quite happy with how this lift is coming along so far but will probably stall soon.

Bent over BB rows - 50kg x 5,5,5

Wasn't tired at all so DB rows - 25kg x 6,6,6

Chins - BW x 8,8,7

ReputationRep:
    Didn't get much sleep last night and didn't really get to eat this morning so this session was always going to be sub-par.

Bench Press 70kg x 5,5,5

Light Squats to focus on form at 60kg.

Deadlifts 60x5,80x3,110xF. Just didn't have the energy to squat or DL properly today.

Dips BW x 7,7,5

ReputationRep:
    Decent session today:

OHP - 42.5kg x 5,5,5. The last rep on the last set was horrible and messy but I'll definitely go up to 45 next session.

Squats - more form work, much happier with my form now so I'll restart progression.

BO BB rows - 55kg x 5,5,5.

DB rows - 27.5kg x 5,5,5.

Chins - BW x 8,8,5. Don't think I had enough of a break before the last set as it was just terrible compared to the others.

On a more positive note, I weighed in at 76kg on Monday which is a gain of nearly 4kg in a month! There hasn't been a massive gain in fat either just judging from the mirror, so this was pleasing.

ReputationRep:
    Went today instead of Friday because I was stupidly hungover...

Bench Press 72.5kg x 5,5,5. Very surprised at how this lift is coming along given that it was probably my most advanced when I started. About 3 weeks ago I tested my 1 rep max and it was 75kg, so I'm excited for the next session.

Light Squats, will start posting weight once I've worked up again. Still having issues shifting weight to the outsides of my feet, but sitting back a lot better.

Deadlifts 60kg x many, 80x5, 100x5, 110x4. Will repeat this weight, anything over 100 I'm doing mixed grip. Unfortunately I'm finding one variation (right hand under) a lot easier than the other. Anyone else has the same thing?

No dips today, was too tired after deadlifting.

ReputationRep:
    You may as well post your squat weights even if they're light.

No ones gonna come in and take the mick if your squats are low in comparison to the other lifts.

And yea, i find right hand under a lot easier on deads and normally do that for my top working set... Normally i kick off 30kg or so afterwards and do another set with the other hands way round.

ReputationRep:
    You may as well post your squat weights even if they're light.

No ones gonna come in and take the mick if your squats are low in comparison to the other lifts.

And yea, i find right hand under a lot easier on deads and normally do that for my top working set... Normally i kick off 30kg or so afterwards and do another set with the other hands way round.
    Yeh you're right about the squats.

With the deads, I read somewhere that you should try and have parity between the different mixed grips or you'll develop imbalances. I can't remember where this was so it may have been someone talking ****. If so, is this unnecessary and can I just stick with right hand under grip for my top set? Currently I've been swapping the grip over during the set.

ReputationRep:
    Diet's been generally quite good but I haven't eaten enough in the last few days. Will rectify this but made a bad start today by forgetting to bring my protein shake! In other news, I will probably be back at the school gym soon which is bad because it doesn't have a squat rack. I may just bite the bullet and get a membership somewhere.

OHP 45kg x 5,5,4, dam! Will repeat this weight because I want to delay my stalling for as long as possible on this

Squats 60kg x 5,5,5. Very light, quite a few of these were more like paused squats.

Bent over BB rows 60kg x 5,5,5. These are getting harder.

DB rows 30kg x 5,5,5.

Chins BW x 8,8, can't remember the third set. Biceps were actually aching a bit from the rowing.

ReputationRep:
    Today was interesting. Managed 75kg x 5,5,4 on the bench which is great because 75 was my 1RM not so long ago. Then we all had to leave the gym early for some reason so I couldn't squat or deadlift! I'll go tomorrow and do OHP, Squat, Deadlift then probably DB rows too to make up for it.

ReputationRep:
    Really good slightly *******ised session today.

OHP - 45kg x 5,5,5. This felt really easy so onwards and upwards!

Squats - 65kg x 5,5,5.

Deadlifts 60kg x some, 80kg x 5. (mixed grip goes on) 100kg x2, 110kg x 5. (switched the grip around) 80kg x 5, 60kg x many. This felt much easier than last time.

At this point I wasn't sure if my core could handle too much more so I just did DB rows: 32.5kg x 5,5,5 (R) and 4,4,4 (L). Next time I'm going to go left arm first and limit my right arm to what my left does to prevent imbalances developing further.

ReputationRep:
    Considering I had to press and row again today with only a 2 day break due to the mid week nonsense, today was really good.

OHP 47.5kg x 5,5,5. The second set was stupidly hard but the 3rd was actually ok.

Squats 70kg x 5,5,5. Going up in 2.5 increments from now on.

Bent over BB rows 65kg x 5,5,5. I feel like I cheat some of the reps on this slightly so I may deload a bit and work up.

Quite-wide grip pull ups: BW x 5,5,5. Quite happy with this since I could barely do any not so long ago.

Chins ups: BW x 8,8,8.

ReputationRep:
    In the gym with no squat rack today, it's going to feel good when I finally progress on this lift.

Bench Press 75x5,5,5. Repeated this weight due to the missed rep last time, felt much better this time. Had to shout at my spotter not to touch the bar on the last rep. I also went for a max, did 80kg then 82.5kg so that was good!

Deadlifts: 60kgxmany,80x5,100x2, (mixed grip)115x5, (reversed) 90kgx5. I'm liking this lift a lot more now that I'm doing it barefoot, serious back doms though at the moment. My back felt a bit tired from saturday anyway...

Dips: BWx7,7,5

Pull ups: BW x 6, had to leave at this point.

ReputationRep:
    First time I've had proper bad DOMS from deadlifting, 2 days on and my back is still quite sore / tight. Made for a bit of an odd session.

Strict Press - 50kg x 5,5,4. Very happy with this despite not making the last rep. Will repeat the weight next time and hopefully get all 3 sets.

Squats - 72.5kg x 5,5,5. I spent quite a lot of time with another couple of guys messing around on form. Had my toes pointed less out this time and they said it looked better like that. Going to get some converse shoes asap because lifting barefoot is attracting some odd looks.

BB rows - 60k x 5,5,5. Couldn't stabilise properly because of my sore back...

Chins BW x 11
    Wide grip Pull ups BW x 4,5,5 (cant really remember the numbers, may need to start writing this down).

ReputationRep:
    Weird few days. I missed Saturday's session because I was worried that the area around my kidneys was still hurting. Went today and got:

Bench Press: 77.5kg x 5,5,4
    Squats - no squat rack
    Deadlifts - tried one at 60kg and was hurting the area around my kidneys so I pulled out.
    Chins: BW x 12,8,7
    Pull ups: BW x can't remember.

Went to see the doctor about the pain, she thinks it's a kidney infection. On the bright side this means I can deadlift without worrying that I've strained a muscle. On the other hand I have to take anti biotics

ReputationRep:
    Kidneys feeling much better because of the medicine, but I think I've lost some strength due to the missed workout from the infection.

OHP: 50kg x 5,3,4 One more miss of this and I'll probably deload to 45kg.

Squats: 70kg x 5,5,8. First time squatting in shoes for a while, felt ok.

DB rows: 30kg x 5,5,5. Form very strict.

Dips x 9,7,5. I was working in with a couple of other guys; unfortunately they were doing quarter reps so their rest times were very short between sets so I couldn't get proper rest either.

ReputationRep:
    My mate got me into the David Lloyd for free today. Everything looked very shiney but they only had 1 squat rack...

Bench Press: 77.5kg x 5,4,4 I'm not sure whether this was to do with the benches being unusually soft at this gym, felt like I couldn't really push as effectively. One more fail of this and I'll deload.

Squats 72.5kg x 5,5,5.

Deadlifts: 60kg x some, 80 x 5, 100 x 5, (mixed grip goes on) 120kg x 2. Wanted some more volume after the 120 fail so 100kg x 5, 80 x 5, 60 x 15 some touch and go. I guess that not deadlifting for a while did impact progression more than I thought it would, will work back up from 105kg in 5kg jumps.

Dips: BW x 8,6,6

Pull Ups: Bw x 4,4,4.

Going to be more focused about my assistance from now on so I can get some real progression on that too.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent session today, very pleased with how it went!

Strict Press: 50kg x 5,5,5. I was so sure I'd fail this after last session's mess but they went up comparatively easily. Onwards and upwards!

Squats: 75kg x 5,5,5. Still quite easy, finding this much easier in shoes now.

Bent over BB row: 60kg x 5,5,5. Going to deload this to 50 and work on form since I feel like I'm cheating some reps.

Dips: BW x 8,8,8

ReputationRep:
    Nice pressing. Overtaken my press now...

If your squats are that easy then try going up 5kg per workout for a while?
    Should be able to get up to around 90 or so with little effort i reckon...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.