Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Nice pressing. Overtaken my press now...

If your squats are that easy then try going up 5kg per workout for a while?
    Should be able to get up to around 90 or so with little effort i reckon...
    Yeh you might be right on the squatting front, but they have been one big disaster for me so far so I'm going to take it as slow as possible from now on and make sure my form remains as good as possible.

Just had a look over at your blog btw, very nice squatting and deadlifting!

ReputationRep:
    Another good session on the whole.

Bench Press 77.5kg x 5,5,5. These went up so fast, maybe because I had a good night's sleep or something.

Squats: 77.5kg x 5,5,5. Felt a bit stiff today, had some problems with depth which I saw in the video afterwards. Will go for 80kg next session so yay my squat will finally overtake my bench!

Deadlifts 105kg x 5. Quite easy, just working back up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeMrgFQJpyY

Chins: BW x 8,8,5. Realised that I wasn't doing these from dead hang before but I am doing them properly now.

ReputationRep:
    Good session today, although I came home and fell asleep straight after...

Strict Press 52.5kg x 5,5,5. These went up surprisingly easily, especially considering I lost my balance on the 4th rep of the 2nd set

Squats 80kg x 5,5,5. Getting harder now.

Deload Rows 50kg x 5,5,5. Very easy, may have taken a bit too much weight off.

Dips BW x 9,9,9.

For some reason I ended up being in the gym today well over an hour, I'll try and cut down my warm up for squats a bit since this seems to be the main time sink.

ReputationRep:
    Nice progress. Why are you doing your DL's for 3x5? Or has the program changed now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_tait)
    Nice progress. Why are you doing your DL's for 3x5? Or has the program changed now
    Thanks! I'm doing them 1x5, that was a typo

ReputationRep:
    Feeling very tired the last couple of days. I'm going to have 2 or 3 days completely off from lifting, so next session will be Tuesday or Wednesday. Looking back over the blog, I've been going every 2 days for the last 2 weeks so a small break is probably a good thing anyway.

Bench: 80kg x 5,4,4. On the last rep of the second set, my spotter touched the bar with his index fingers. He insists he didn't help lift it at all but I'm not sure whether or not I should count the rep.

Squats: 82.5kg x 5,5,5. Felt hard again but all doable.

Deadlifts: 60kg x many, 80kg x 5, (mixed grip goes on) 100kg x2, 110kg x 5, (changed mixed grip) 80kg x 5. These felt ok.

Too tired for chin ups at the end, still ended up spending nearly 90 minutes in the gym somehow.

ReputationRep:
    The "rule" is if a spotter touches the bar at all then you don't count the rep. It sucks but that's why you need to get good spotters...

ReputationRep:
    He's normally pretty good, maybe he just had a panic moment. I'll count that as 5,4,4 then.

ReputationRep:
    Reasonable session today:

OHP 55kg x 5,5,5. Lost balance a couple of times so I'm going to take a wider stance from now on. Also, 1 plate is in sight!

Squats 85kg x 5,5,5. Felt pretty gruelling again. I'm still not entirely happy with my form on these so I'm going to do light squats from now on the bench / dead days where I really focus on form and keep adding 2.5kg on the OHP days. I just can't face a 3rd full deload, not for ego reasons but that it would be too frustrating to have to completely set back progress another month.

DB Rows 32.5kg x 5. Was quite tired at this point so I left it there.

ReputationRep:
    Mixed session today:

Bench Press 80kg x 5,5,3. Having to shout at your spotter mid rep not to touch the bar is somewhat offputting...anyway might be my first full stall on this coming soon.

Squats: Light form work on 40kg, plenty of sitting in the hole just keeping knees out and trying to get my weight onto the outside of my feet.

Deadlifts: Worked up to 115kg x 5. Moderately difficult and a bit of back rounding but nothing too horrible I was told.

Dips: BW x 10,10,8.

ReputationRep:
    First really bad pressing session today.

Strict Press 57.5kg x 3,3,2. This was very disappointing considering that 55kg went up quite easily for 3 sets of 5. It seems that my pressing is quite sensitive to small changes in form and how I feel on the day.

Squats x 87.5 kg x 5,5,5. Felt hard but bar speed good on the whole.

Cleans 40kg x 3,3,3. First time ever on these, quite easy since focus was on form. However I'll be the first to admit I'm not too sure what I'm doing beyond the youtube videos I've seen so I'll upload my own video soon for criticism. Hardest bit was wrist flexibility for the rack position.

Chins: BW x 8,8,6. Any progress is good I guess.

In other news, I found out I've been eating 300g of cereal in the morning rather than the 100g I thought I was. Needless to say this is slightly overkill so I've cut down (possibly why my OHP was weak today).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    First really bad pressing session today.

Strict Press 57.5kg x 3,3,2. This was very disappointing considering that 55kg went up quite easily for 3 sets of 5. It seems that my pressing is quite sensitive to small changes in form and how I feel on the day.

Squats x 87.5 kg x 5,5,5. Felt hard but bar speed good on the whole.

Cleans 40kg x 3,3,3. First time ever on these, quite easy since focus was on form. However I'll be the first to admit I'm not too sure what I'm doing beyond the youtube videos I've seen so I'll upload my own video soon for criticism. Hardest bit was wrist flexibility for the rack position.

Chins: BW x 8,8,6. Any progress is good I guess.

In other news, I found out I've been eating 300g of cereal in the morning rather than the 100g I thought I was. Needless to say this is slightly overkill so I've cut down (possibly why my OHP was weak today).
    Nice pressing brah. Don't worry too much about not getting all of the reps you wanted.
    Also to help you with wrist flexibility for cleans, I'd recommend doing some light front squats with the weight after you've done your full sets.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, I'll definintely give some front squatting a shot next time.

ReputationRep:
    Nice progression mate, just read through the blog.

You seemed to handle those deads nicely but there might be a couple of technique issues which you might want to address. You seem to lock your legs out pretty early and towards the last couple of reps your lower back was rounding a bit. Might just have been because of the amount of reps though.

Also, I can't see on the video, but are your shins close enough (essentially touching) to the bar in the setup? I think they were but I couldn't tell.

You're right about the gym though, doesn't seem too high tech!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cast.Iron)
    Nice progression mate, just read through the blog.

You seemed to handle those deads nicely but there might be a couple of technique issues which you might want to address. You seem to lock your legs out pretty early and towards the last couple of reps your lower back was rounding a bit. Might just have been because of the amount of reps though.

Also, I can't see on the video, but are your shins close enough (essentially touching) to the bar in the setup? I think they were but I couldn't tell.

You're right about the gym though, doesn't seem too high tech!
    Yes I can definitely see where you're coming from with the deadlifting. Also, my gym is in fact so low tech that when picking up a plate two days ago, a bit of metal splintered off and into my hand!

ReputationRep:
    Meh session today.

Bench Press: 80kg x 5,5,4. GRAAAAH! **** it i'm going up to 82.5 and I'm going to eat more sugary stuff before I train next time.

Light Paused Squats: 50kg x quite many.

Deadlifts: Worked up to 120kg x 3. I was able to pull these but my back was apparently rounding quite a lot so I left it there. I'm going to take powerlifter's advice, go back to an easy weight and work up. No need to rush it.

Dips: BW x 10,10,7. Not nearly enough rest before the last set but people were rushing me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    Meh session today.

Bench Press: 80kg x 5,5,4. GRAAAAH! **** it i'm going up to 82.5 and I'm going to eat more sugary stuff before I train next time.

Light Paused Squats: 50kg x quite many.

Deadlifts: Worked up to 120kg x 3. I was able to pull these but my back was apparently rounding quite a lot so I left it there. I'm going to take powerlifter's advice, go back to an easy weight and work up. No need to rush it.

Dips: BW x 10,10,7. Not nearly enough rest before the last set but people were rushing me.
    Do it. Just move up to 82.5 if you've been stuck on 80. It could just be down to a bad day, I was stuck on weight for 4 weeks (on 5 x 5) and I got fed up and just moved up the next week and I got it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Do it. Just move up to 82.5 if you've been stuck on 80. It could just be down to a bad day, I was stuck on weight for 4 weeks (on 5 x 5) and I got fed up and just moved up the next week and I got it!
    Yes I think I will, good to have confirmation that it's the right move from a decent lifter though. Tbh I'm surprised my bench has gone up this well so far on SS, given that it was by far my most advanced lift when I started.

ReputationRep:
    Found out yesterday that someone I know who doesn't even post here has been stalking my log. Thumbs up for great e-detective work! Anyway pre-workout meal today consisted of 200g of cereal and 2 M&S strawberry tarts; carbtastic stuff!

Strict Press: 57.5kg x 4,3,2. Progress is progress I guess, may have to be patient with this from now.

Squats: 90kg x 5,5,5. Felt hard again but good. I'm worried I may be doing too much of a good morning to get them up sometimes so I'll get a video next session.

Powercleans: 45kg x 5,5,5.

Hanging legs raises x 5,5,5. Finding it hard not to swing on these.

All in all a reasonable session. I think I'm at the end of the line where I can just keep adding 2.5kg to my strict press and may have to aim for 3x3,3x4,3x5 from now on before moving up a weight.

ReputationRep:
    Had to be up early to see the doctor about my flat feet this morning so not much sleep last night.

Bench Press 82.5kg x 3,3,2. Going to do a reset on this where I go back to 70 and work up in 2.5kg jumps again.

Squats 92.5kg x 5,5,5. Felt difficult as usual but got all the reps. Got a video of it and I noticed that I keep my back very upright, especially when driving up. This is probably because of me actively trying to avoid doing a good morning but it's limiting my hip drive so I'm not going to worry about it from now on.

Deadlifts: form work on 60,80,90 and 100kg.

Dips: BW x 10,10,10.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.