Turn on thread page Beta

Strength training! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Strict Press: 57.5 kg x 3,3,2. Definitely reset for this one.

Squats: 95kg x 5,2,5,5. Basically the equipment at my gym is really poorly maintained. Halfway through my second set a guy wandered over to tell me the bar was sliding and it was dangerous so I stopped after the second rep to try and sort it out, then continued after that. Anyway onwards to 2 plate!

Cleans: 50kg x 3,3,3,3,3. Wrists are definitely getting more flexible.

So as any readers may have noticed I'm about to embark on resets for the strict press and bench press. I haven't done this before so if possible could a couple of people give some feedback on whether these are good paths to take?

Bench: 60kg,65kg,70kg then work up in 2.5 jumps.

Press: 45,50 then work up in 2.5 jumps.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)

So as any readers may have noticed I'm about to embark on resets for the strict press and bench press. I haven't done this before so if possible could a couple of people give some feedback on whether these are good paths to take?

Bench: 60kg,65kg,70kg then work up in 2.5 jumps.

Press: 45,50 then work up in 2.5 jumps.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
    With bench i'd just do 70 then up in 2.5kg jumps and press i'd do 50 then 2.5jumps. No point going all the way down to 60 or 45 imo...

I'm not the biggest expert here though...

Also, you squat atg or parellel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    With bench i'd just do 70 then up in 2.5kg jumps and press i'd do 50 then 2.5jumps. No point going all the way down to 60 or 45 imo...

I'm not the biggest expert here though...

Also, you squat atg or parellel?
    I squat as low as I can whilst keeping tight. This tends to be a couple of inches below parallel, certainly not ATG, I don't have the flexibility for it yet.

ReputationRep:
    Good session, despite going disgustingly early (10am!):

Deload Bench: 60kg x 5,5,12. Ok I may have gone too far on this but I wanted to take it as an opportunity to fix some form issues.

Squats 97.5kg x 5,5,5. The last 4 reps of every set feel like a battle but I guess this is what it's all about... also the first time squatting in orthotics, however it felt like it was putting a lot of strain on my lower back during the warmup so I took them off for the work sets.

Deadlift form work @ 60kg,80kg,100kg. These felt good, will get a video next time to check everything is ok then start working the weight up again.

Dips: BW x 11,10,6

ReputationRep:
    Nice work, keep it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cast.Iron)
    Nice work, keep it up.
    Thanks! I have the details of the skype group btw if you'd like to join.

Anyway a good session today, I got compliemented on my squat depth by someone who looked pretty huge.

Strict Press: 50kg x 5,5,5. Nice and quick, felt good.

Squats: 100kg x 5,5,5. The last rep of the last set was higher than usual according to the guy I was training with but I'll move up a weight next time anyway.

Power Cleans 55kg x 3,3,3. Going to get these up to 60 so I can use plates of the proper height then work on form from there. We don't have bumper plates at my gym so catching the bar is a big issue on the way down.

Decline sit ups with pause at bottom: 10,10,8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    Thanks! I have the details of the skype group btw if you'd like to join.
    Sure, sounds good.

ReputationRep:
    The "rule" is if a spotter touches the bar at all then you don't count the rep. It sucks but that's why you need to get good spotters...
    But in terms of a training regime and logging training you should really use your own discretion about counting a rep. Obviously in a powerlifting meet the rep wouldn't be counted, but often in my gym I have retarded spotters that gently tap the bar when I'm clearly about to lockout.

In terms of training my body I've completed the rep, my body just sees it as a rep of 89.5 kilos instead of 90 and that sort of slight change in weight is passable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Question)
    But in terms of a training regime and logging training you should really use your own discretion about counting a rep. Obviously in a powerlifting meet the rep wouldn't be counted, but often in my gym I have retarded spotters that gently tap the bar when I'm clearly about to lockout.

In terms of training my body I've completed the rep, my body just sees it as a rep of 89.5 kilos instead of 90 and that sort of slight change in weight is passable.
    True but if you're going for a 5RM or a 1RM then it's bad to count it but if it's just a normal gym session then it doesn't really matter either way...

I go for the no spotter approach because i find spotter always stand so close to the bar i can't set up to bench properly and then they're basically in the way the whole time and they always touch the bar...

ReputationRep:
    I go for the no spotter approach because i find spotter always stand so close to the bar i can't set up to bench properly and then they're basically in the way the whole time and they always touch the bar...
    Fix that by kindly saying to your spotter: "Can you move away from the bar please so I can set up properly and while I'm benching can you not touch the bar unless it's about to decapitate me"

Funny thing is that still only works like 70% of the time.

My bench progressed when I became anal about benching 90% and above with a spotter.

I need one even if I know he's gonna **** it up. For example, I'm certain I could go and bench 85kg 5x5 right now comfortably without a spotter, but couldn't rest easy doing the same with 90kg even though I probably could do it.

So a spotter is a five kilo difference in training, when it comes to the bench 5 extra kilos per set per rep makes a ****load of difference.

But you might be more of a daredevil and say "**** it", I'm loading that bar close to my max and I don't give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to agree with The Question that having a spotter can often give you the confidence you need to get those last couple of reps without having to worry about killing yourself. For me at least there's nothing that's more likely to make me fail a rep than thinking I'm going to fail it...

ReputationRep:
    Spotters always make me f*ck up. I don't know why, they just do. Therefore I normally just bench and squat without one, but of course there's the embarrassment of having to have the bar lifting off your chest if you fail.

But sometimes, just sometimes, I manage a cheeky roll down the torso and then pick it up with nobody noticing

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually squatted with a spotter. It looks very ... awkward, and I'd rather just dump on the safety bars if I fail.

ReputationRep:
    2 big exams this morning and not a lot of sleep last night meant this was destined to be a bad session.

Bench: 65kg x 5,5,11 or 12. Nice and quick, not taken to failure.

Squats 102.5kg x 2, failed 3rd. My mind really wasn't there today. Looking back at my blog it looks like I've had 13 consescutive sessions without missing a squat so I'm not too bothered, I guess this is going to happen from time to time.

Deadlifts: 100kg x 5, got a video, still not 100% pleased with form - slight back rounding although that's again probably because I was tired and not really in the zone today. Going to start adding weight again next session.

Dips: BW x 10,5.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't eat enough before training today, need to be stricter with myself from now on.

Deload Strict Press 52.5kg x 5,4,5. First two sets were cleaned up first, may have affected my performance. A couple of these reps were disappointingly hard.

Squats: 102.5kg x 5,5,3. Much better than last time. I didn't actually fail any reps on the third set, but the last rep was disgustingly hard and I decided not go for another, which was probably a mistake.

Power Cleans: 57.5kg x 3,3,3,3. I'm sure my technique is still not very good on these and once I can clean 60kg comfortably (full size plates), I'm going to go back to weighted chins, rows, or both.

So the plan for my next "B" session is to increase the weight on the squat and press. May be a bit controversial but I'm sure if I eat more beforehand it will be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Very meh session today - felt generally tired and unmotivated. It might have been because the people I usually train with weren't here or because I've had quite a heavy week of exams.

Benh 70kg x 5,5,5. This was interesting, I got someone to spot the first set and unsurprisingly he couldn't keep his hands off the bar despite clear instructions not to touch it. So I did the second set without a spotter, but on the 3rd or 4th rep someone comes running over from his T-Bar rows to start fondling the bar and shout that I had more in me?!? This meant I had to time the 3rd set so that this guy wasn't watching and I didn't get a spotter, so I just stuck with 5 reps.

Squats 80kg x 5,5,5,5. Kept it quite light as the plan was to go heavy on deadlifts. I tried low bar position for the first 3 sets but it felt quite awkward, I feel much more comfortable with my usual high bar squat.

Deadlifts - 60kg x some. Felt awful, decided to leave it.

Dips: BW x 10,10,5.

So the plan for the next couple of weeks is do my usual session on Monday, then go for heavy singles of the Bench, Squat and Deadlift on Wednesday. After that I'm away for a week to wreck my liver, hopefully I won't lose too much strength over that period.

ReputationRep:
    Woops forgot to update this.

Sunday:

OHP: 55kg x 4,4.
    Squats: 102.5kg x 5. Left knees was hurting in second set so I left it there.
    Some weighted paused sit ups.

Gym was closed today so I couldn't go I'm away for a week now so no lifting until I'm back obviously. May do some pressups / situps etc. to try and minimise strength loss.

Some notable learning points from my first real go at lifting properly. Firstly, I need to be taking videos more often of my squatting and deadlifting. Secondly, I'm going to start squatting low bar because I do not believe I have the flexibility to squat high bar properly yet. I only picked high bar to start with because it was the only way I knew. Finally and most importantly, I need to be stricter with eating. Throughout exams I kept lifting regularly but didn't eat nearly as much as I should have, usually just 3 regular meals + protein. When I get back I'm going to be far more consistent.

ReputationRep:
    Missed an update again. Got back from Greece on Thursday and went to the gym on Friday. I'd spent the last week eating once per day and being fuelled by the sugar from alcohol so I decided to take it easy - still feeling a bit rough.

Benching at 60kg
    Squats at 70kg
    Deadlifts at 90kg

Fin.

ReputationRep:
    OHP: 50kg x 5,5,5. Mostly quite fast so this was encouraging.

Squats: 80kg x 5,5,5. Continuing to squat low bar, feels less comfortable but I'll get used to it. Will get a video next time.

Pendlay Rows: could not get the technique right on these at all.

Weighted decline paused sit ups: 5kg x 10,10,10. Going to up the weight and gradually remove the pause.

For anyone who might be reading: are weighted chins a reasonable replacement for rows? Finding it very difficult not to cheat rows and I quite like chinning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    OHP: 50kg x 5,5,5. Mostly quite fast so this was encouraging.

Squats: 80kg x 5,5,5. Continuing to squat low bar, feels less comfortable but I'll get used to it. Will get a video next time.

Pendlay Rows: could not get the technique right on these at all.

Weighted decline paused sit ups: 5kg x 10,10,10. Going to up the weight and gradually remove the pause.

For anyone who might be reading: are weighted chins a reasonable replacement for rows? Finding it very difficult not to cheat rows and I quite like chinning.
    I feel your pain. It took me ages to get the hang of these and I'm still not sure if my form's correct.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.