Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Strength training! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    Screen name is Mowoff. I have skype, what's your addy?
    alexandertait3

ReputationRep:
    when you planning on jumping over to madcows or whatever other routine you'll be doing?

ReputationRep:
    4 hours download my god. Basingstoke internet ftw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_tait)
    What are you downloading ?lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallium)
    when you planning on jumping over to madcows or whatever other routine you'll be doing?
    I'll move to Madcow's when I can sort my squat out. Would really like at least 130x1.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_tait)
    No rush, the HoN servers are complete crap atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    What are you downloading ?lol
    Heroes of Newerth. I guess this is revenge for when I borrowed my chinese housemate's laptop and installed World of Warcraft and all of the expansions on it without even asking his permission.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty bad session today:

Bench, worked up to 105kg x F. Didn't have a spotter I knew and didn't trust anyone to do a good job spotting sets so I just went for this. Bit disappointed because 100 wasn't too hard.

Deadlifts, 130kg x 2. Really psyched myself out of this one, just wasn't feeling it today.

ReputationRep:
    Log for the 14th:

Strict Press 60kg x 5,5,5. Felt fine, messed up breathing a bit on first and last sets which made those harder than necessary.

Here's a video of the 3rd set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD0rm_A_cwY

I'm glad I got this video because I can see that I am over arching my back, and need to avoid that in future.

Pendlay Rows 70kg x 5,5,5.

Squats 97.5kg x 5. Ran out of time here so didn't do 3 sets. Cut my depth a bit shorter than usual today to focus on maintaining good form, which I'm not sure is the case when I go ATG. What's annoying me is that no matter how much I focus on pushing my knees out, my feet still roll in slightly (I'm flat footed and weight is naturally distributed towards the insides of my feet).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUhSCGQSVXg

ReputationRep:
    Your press genetics confuse the **** out of me. Strong stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Had no spotter today and was at the gym with no 1.25kg plates or flat benches.

Strict Press 70kg x 1 (PB). This was fine.
    75kg x F. Got this just over my head but couldn't lock it.

Deadlifts: 130kg x 4.95. Grip gave out at the lockout of the 5th rep. Up until now I've used a double OH grip but now I'm going to switch to mixed. Hopefully this should provide a second wind for my deadlifts. I'm pretty sure Rippetoe or Powerlifter or someone reputable said that the back and legs won't pull what the hands can't grip. So with a stronger grip, my pulls should generally feel stronger.

Had an argument with a PT there who was trying to make me deadlift in my trainers, and go into more of a squat position too. This was during my 60kg warmup set, I'd like to see him pull anything remotely heavy from a squat position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    Had no spotter today and was at the gym with no 1.25kg plates or flat benches.

Strict Press 70kg x 1 (PB). This was fine.

75kg x F. Got this just over my head but couldn't lock it.
    Deadlifts: 130kg x 4.95. Grip gave out at the lockout of the 5th rep. Up until now I've used a double OH grip but now I'm going to switch to mixed. Hopefully this should provide a second wind for my deadlifts. I'm pretty sure Rippetoe or Powerlifter or someone reputable said that the back and legs won't pull what the hands can't grip. So with a stronger grip, my pulls should generally feel stronger.

Had an argument with a PT there who was trying to make me deadlift in my trainers, and go into more of a squat position too. This was during my 60kg warmup set, I'd like to see him pull anything remotely heavy from a squat position.
    This is the opposite of me, I fail in the initial lift off. Nice PB though.

I lol'd at the '4.95' measurement . Are you currently deadlifting barefoot? Also, I use a mixed grip for my heavy sets and it does help.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way I can pull 150x1 with a double overhand any more. On even a ****ty day I can do 160x1 with a mixed grip.

ReputationRep:
    Decent session today considering I was working off not much sleep thanks to late night HoN with alex_tait:

Bench Press: 87.5kg x 5,5,4. Happy with this, should make the full reps on next session.

Squats 97.5kg x 5,5,5.

Decline Sit ups 10kg x 10,10.

Rear delt flyes - need to look at some more form videos for this.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely spiffing!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Good session again today:

Strict Press 62.5kg x 3,3,3. Made the target, no further reps attempted.

Pendlay Rows 72.5kg x 5,5,5.

Squats 100kg x 5,5,5. These were ok but I'm still not getting my knees out far enough.

ReputationRep:
    Going to make some pre emptive excuses for tomorrow: I've been out too much recently which has meant my sleeping has been bad, and my eating has been worse. On top of that, I've run out of both protein and creatine, the latter of which I'm going to take a break from anyway. Also weighed in a couple days ago at 85.5kg.

ReputationRep:
    Good session surprisingly:

Bench 87.5kg x 5,5,5. The spotter touched the last rep of the 2nd set when I was near lockout but the rep was in the bag so I'm going to count it anyway. Last rep of the 3rd set was pretty hard, moving up to 90 next session.

Deadlifts 132.5kg x 5. Switched to mixed grip, felt a bit awkward (one side of bar coming up earlier than other) but my grip held out which is what mattered I guess.

Rear delt flyes for shoulder health.

ReputationRep:
    Reasonably good session:

Strict Press 62.5kg x 4,4,3. First 2 sets were fine, my setup was all wrong on the last set but I still made the target reps. Didn't feel too heavy, may just go for 5,5,5 next time.

Pendlay Rows 62.5kg x 5,5,5. Kept it light as my upper back felt a bit tired. This was really easy, form dead strict.

Squats 102.5kg x 5,5,5. Bar knurling was awful, felt like a grater. Skin on my back has been scraped off...

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.