Turn on thread page Beta

What did you get for packed lunch? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was the kid with the unusual lunches :P Mainly coz I was the only Jew and I used to get an array of Jewfood.
    My favourite lunches were the ones with fish finger and ketchup sarnies! I was never allowed crisps and never allowed a chocolate bar, except on special occasions. Club orange ftw

ReputationRep:
    A banana- which all too often would get squashed and destroy all my books and then my bag would have to go into the washing machine.

A sandwich on horrible bread- my mum worked in a supermarket and made the most of half price bread at the end of a shift and always bought that pork and onion sliced meat (luncheon roll) which I hated.

I was always jealous of people who got rice crispie squares!!!

ReputationRep:
    always got school dinners at primary school, but then i was allowed to buy my own lunch at secondary school and spent the first two terms living on cheesy chips and hot suasage rolls, so my mum started making me a packed lunch.
    generally contained a sandwich containing pretty much any mixture of fillings you can think of on the reasoning that i liked them both on their own and she was short of fillings. didnt always get a sandwich, think she forgot sometimes.
    packet of crisps, chocolate bar, pieace of fruit that got thrown at passers by everyday without fail. and sometimes i got a slice of cake or a little bag of peanuts or those mixed nuts and raisins. and a yoghurt
    always really wanted a cheesestring in my packed lunch but was never ever allowed one.

my mum still makes me a packed lunch now in the summer when im tractor driving, still has pretty much the same things in it, although no yoghurt as they are impossible to eat on a tractor. and still no cheesestring i do get biscuits and a flask of tea now though, so cant really complain!

ReputationRep:
    A sandwich (when I was young it was ALWAYS ham, in secondary school it was ALWAYS chicken :p:)
    A yogurt (PS- a frube! EPIC stuff that was! SS- muller corner of some description)
    A chocolate or cereal bar- special K bar or a twix/yorkie/pengun/club orange (whatever we had in the house!)
    Sometimes a bag of crisps if my mum was being generous/I made my lunch
    Drinks were normally tiptops in PS, and appletizer bought from the (healthy) vending machine in school

Up until 2nd year we had sweetie vending machines in school so lunch was always so much more interestng. Then they got rid because suddenly they all started caring about our health- what's that all about?

ReputationRep:
    Always the same fom reception to year 6:
    - Sandwich cheese and cucumber, or tuna and cucumber
    - Crisps
    - Some sort of cake bar like galaxy or something mr kipling: apple pies, french fancies, bakewells or angel slices.
    - frube or a little box of raisins
    - squah

If I was lucky once every know and then I would get cold sausages instead of a sandwich!

Now I cant stand anything mr kipling or cheese and cucumber!

Every year I got a new lunch box, me and my friends always had the bix box with a handle and matching drink bottle. I remember forever friends, winnie the pooh, rugrats. Then in year 6 we had a plain box with no handle - obviously we were to grown u to have a cartoon or a handle!!
    High school I had school dinners and then 6th form I got a sandwich or pasta from a shop. Put off packed lunch for life.

Can anyone remember those snack boxes that could fit a carton of ribena and a kitkat or something in - we all had them at break time. Our lunches were so unhealthy dont think they would be allowed now!

ReputationRep:
    2 sandwiches, . (somedays tortilla wraps <<<AMAZING)
    2 pieces of fruit
    dessert (flapjack or homemade cake usually)

ReputationRep:
    All I used to get was a sandwich ( which usually contained something awful like fish paste) wrapped up in a bread bag.My parents were'nt well off, but not poor enough for me to get free school dinners if that makes sense.I didnt even get a drink with it.I was always jealous of other people who had what seemed like loads of stuff in their packed lunches.I still had to take a packed lunch right up until I left school at 16.My own chidlren also have packed lunches but theirs are miles much better.They have a sandwich, crisps, fruit and a little something sweet.They are both in secondary school and could buy their own dinners there, sadly I cannot afford for them to do that.

ReputationRep:
    I remember having Dairylea Lunchables sometimes in primary school. Those were pretty fly. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Sandwich, pringles and a little pot of fruit and a penguin. Every day for 7 years :') The pringles were in a little pot as well

I used to love Frubes, but they got banned because people kept putting them on the table and smacking them so they flew everywhere :') Little rebels.

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much had the same as everyone else, sandwich, apple, drink and crisps, and I'd always pray that i didnt get a cheese sandwich, and if i did I'd trade with others on the table.
    School dinners were always the better option though, I'd make sure that i had school dinners on a Wednesday for pizza and a Friday for chips.
    I think i had a cookie monster lunchbox, until i got a cooler bag in year 3 because they were all the rage, along with Beyblades

ReputationRep:
    Mine was just Margarine spread in the bread. Just god damn awful. With a packet of crisps. Most the time I just threw them in the bin or the top of the garage. Eventually I got caught and got given a minor upgrade to a ham filling.

I didn't really get enough time to eat either, as we usually just played football during lunch. Looking back at this, I do feel kind of guilty for throwing food away like that.

Edit:

As for drink, just a bottle of water. The crisps just had to be the lame walkers stuff too. Sometimes I got the short end of the straw and got the lame Ready Salted ones. I didn't know back then how good Salt and Vineger crisps were in bread.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Always: sandwich, orange juice, piece of fruit, yoghurt. No exceptions. I envied my friends with their biscuits and crisps and stuff, but I took the high ground and laughed because I thought they'd grow up to be ugly and fat. But they haven't. [Yet.]

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take anything with me, because we got a full lunch at the school canteen.
    My mum just gave me money everyday so I could buy sweets or a can of iced tea.

ReputationRep:
    Capri Sun, or Fruit Shoot, without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearly 18 and I still get my lunch made everyday . Me and a couple of friends always and contrast our mystery lunchboxes at school.

ReputationRep:
    I would always have a sandwich (tuna, cheese, ham or chicken), a packet of crisps (cheese and onion), a piece of fruit, some cheese (be it cheese cut into cubes or a cheese string or babybel), a yoghurt (usually frube type things) and on a good day I was allowed a chocolate (usually a penguin) as well, but my parents never really bought sweets or chocolate to keep in the house like all my friends would have a drawer somewhere in their kitchen with sweets and chocolate but we never did.
    I used to love having cartons of fruit juice with my lunch though, orange juice or apple juice, and if it was sports day I had one of each

I had to start making my own lunch when I got to year 5/6 though and then it just turned into a sandwich and crisps.

ReputationRep:
    I miss packed lunches

I used to get a sandwich, never knew what was in it. Used to love egg sandwiches but man they used to stink my whole bag out!
    I'd get chocolate & crisps also, the fruit wouldn't be touched..

Then I got a bit bored of packed lunches and bought paninis or cheesy pasta from the canteen. Mmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    All I used to get was a sandwich ( which usually contained something awful like fish paste) wrapped up in a bread bag.My parents were'nt well off, but not poor enough for me to get free school dinners if that makes sense.I didnt even get a drink with it.I was always jealous of other people who had what seemed like loads of stuff in their packed lunches.I still had to take a packed lunch right up until I left school at 16.My own chidlren also have packed lunches but theirs are miles much better.They have a sandwich, crisps, fruit and a little something sweet.They are both in secondary school and could buy their own dinners there, sadly I cannot afford for them to do that.
    Paste sandwiches!! These were a staple alongside cheap tinned meat on my sandwiches in primary school. We were pretty poor but we always made do, and I often got a "token" (free school dinners) so like I said, packed lunches were the exception rather than the rule.

But I did love a paste sandwich.

ReputationRep:
    The world-famous crisp sandwich. Got to be the best thing ever invented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess.)
    At my primary school all students had to eat the school dinners which were pretty nasty. To make it worse there was always a teacher on duty to make sure you'd eaten absolutely everything on your plate. I LONGED for a packed lunch

(Original post by TotoMimo)
    Likewise. It was a rare occasion where I had a packed lunch because I always had the square-cut traybake pizza/chocolate johnny cake or epicness. School dinners were amazing. I always got a humongous portion of sprouts when it was on the menu, because nobody else wanted them. Cubed mixed veg was always on there otherwise.
    At my primary school it was a sort of buffet, and all the foods were marked red for protein, blue for carbs, and I think yellow for fat- you could have 3 protein items, two carb items and only one fat item. It sucked.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.