Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whatever I put in it the night before. No surprises for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lack of Creativity)
    Whatever I put in it the night before. No surprises for me.
    your username has just become incredibly apt!

ReputationRep:
    Sandwich, apple/ banana/ orange, crisps one day of the week, chocolate another day, erm can't remember what we had on the 'healthy' days. Probably a cereal bar or carrot sticks or something.

I was jealous of the kids who got crisps and chocolate EVERY day

ReputationRep:
    Cheese and pickle sandwich, crisps, a chocolate bar and some water, usually. We also went through phases of Frubes, Staffordshire oatcakes, and Capri-Suns.

ReputationRep:
    1. A sandwich of either cheese, "butter butter" (peanut butter and butter), Marmite or some kind of deli meat on two slices of white.

2. A packet of crisps. Usually either Tesco (although there was great horror when these were from the Value range) but sometimes we got Nik Naks or Skips... whichever way they were always discarded by myself.

3. A cake/some form of chocolate (generally Tesco mini rolls, sandwich bars, Rocky bars, ginger cake, malt loaf or Time Outs, but when my mum wasn't busy she would bake huge batches of chocolate buns, butterfly cakes, jam tarts and cornflake crispies and send me away with armfuls for my friends and I.

4. A giant bottle of orange juice (I was obsessed).

The sandwich was occasionally replaced with crackers, a sausage roll, scotch egg or pasty, or sometimes filled with tuna or egg (when I had no shame for the stink of my lunchbox). When I was really lucky and my parents were feeling particularly rich (we struggled with money) I would get salad (I love, love salad) plopped in there too. My favourite was tuna and salad on wholemeal! As I got a bit older the sandwich as a whole was replaced by vegetable crudites.

As the one stuck with chocolate and crisps, I was always massively jealous of friends who got "exciting" food like chicken salad pittas, yogurts, dried apricots, Babybels and cereal bars! My treat lunch on school trips was actually an egg salad... strange child?! We really didn't have much money and I guess my mum wasn't very imaginative... although she tried. Her baking was mega popular, too.

ReputationRep:
    I just had the usual, not very exciting... sandwich, apple/carrot sticks, some home baking, and a drink... notable only in that we always avoided anything containing artificial sweeteners (I still do :P)

(Original post by jeh_jeh)
    Cheese and pickle sandwich, crisps, a chocolate bar and some water, usually. We also went through phases of Frubes, Staffordshire oatcakes, and Capri-Suns.
    Cold oatcakes?!

ReputationRep:
    I used to have pink heart shaped lunch box

I got the same..except i had both chocolate and crisps together, sometimes a yogurt too...and i would always take my fruits back home.

ReputationRep:
    stupidly healthy lunch. in fact 90% of my whole food intake was either fruit or veg :/ i was always jealous of the kids with crisps and chocolate as we never bought it

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else used to have these as an occasional treat?

ReputationRep:
    I had a sandwich or plain, cold pasta, a bag of crisps and a chocolate bar. And normally a fruit winder at break, or a cheese string.

Lunchables occasionally.

We got free milk and fruit at school too.

ReputationRep:
    Wholegrain bread and sometimes some fruit.

Typical Norwegian packed school lunch ( Norwegian schools don't serve warm lunch)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam*)
    Did anyone else used to have these as an occasional treat?
    I did. But thinking about it now: :puke:

ReputationRep:
    Nowadays I just walk through a shop on my way to school an grab a coke crisps and sandwich. When I was smaller my mum made me have school dinners (cause my dad worked the late shift we had sandwiches for dinner) but in the summer our school would do packed lunches which were a little packet of crisps some sandwiches (tuna was to be avoided at all costs) a small cup of juice and the pudding.

ReputationRep:
    A sandwich (either cheese or ham - cheese & jam on special days ), a little apple pie, and a frube. Our primary school didn't allow chocolate or sweets - I remember the dinner ladies coming round and confiscating anything too unhealthy from your lunchbox.

ReputationRep:
    I started with cheese and tomato ketchup sandwiches (dairylea triangles), iced gems biscuit things, an apple and a carton or orange juice. It stayed similar, except sometimes I got those mini dairylea packs instead of the sandwich, or changed my sandwich to chicken/ham after going off cheese for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god MEMORIES.

this one time, I got given a frube.. and i couldn't open the top properly so I squeezed and squeezed and yeah... the entire yoghurt coated my hair/face/uniform. Mum wasn't too pleased that she had to come pick me up and take me home to get changed, and I wasn't allowed squeezy yoghurts from then on

ReputationRep:
    well....a sandwich or maybe a paratha with mango and if im lucky2 mintue noodles achaar( indian flatbread with pickle)...a yoghurt and a mini fruit salad....with some cashews and raisins

ReputationRep:
    Erm,
    I usually got a sandwhich (usually tuna), Fruit, Crisps or Chocolate and Cordial =]

ReputationRep:
    If I was good, I used to get Kinder eggs with my sandwiches on Fridays. Good times.

ReputationRep:
    beginning of primary school i used to have a new lunch box every term (and pencil case....still constantly buy new pencil cases) those square ones with pictures on... then year 4ish we all used to use the mini cool bags
    my mum used to do my lunch, and my dads but it was very rare he would ever remember to take his so he used to end up with 3 day old sarnies because she refused to make more lol EW!

to start off with i had billy bear sandwiches, occasionally it was dinosaur or mickey mouse... always some kind of billy bear type meat
    though if i was lucky and we had been to merry hill (a large shopping centre ) the day before i got to have marks and spencers prawn mayo sarnies they were my favourite! cant stand prawns now... but once upon a time...
    sometimes i used to have rather large chunks of cucumber or carrot sticks <3 but we only used to go shopping once a month back then so was only ever at the beginning of the month
    a penguin (the dinner lady used to read the jokes out to the class ) or a wagon wheel < my mums favourite
    frubes but i dont remember them untill i got to being in like year 4 or 5
    i dont really remember having much fruit but im sure i did probably peeled and cut up

for a term my school trialed having school dinners, they used to be cooked at a pub down the road and brought up, it didnt last long though, i remember there being lots of slugs found in lettace i never really liked them though far too fussy.

high school i had packed lunch for a few years too, sucked once my sister started school because my mum would quite often accidentally cut my sandwich into triangles, but not just triangles, like cut in half then in half again then in half again :| like bite size for a 4 year old!
    then i moved onto having "cooked dinners" rarely was it actually canteen cooked dinner because stupid jamie oliver stopped me just having cheesy mash
    so i would go to this other little place they had with a stupid french name... and had their chicken and salad baguettes
    x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.