Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was the super healthy kid. Wholemeal sandwich or pita, usually with something kind of gross like cheese and tomato (makes the bread soggy, NOT COOL) or tuna (everyone tells me I stink and refuses to sit with me) . Always a piece of fruit and carrot sticks. And if I was lucky, a homemade flapjack.
    It worked though, as I've never been overweight or got notably ill, and I developed a taste for healthy foods. Lots of times I'd rather eat a nutritious meal than fast food, and I freak out if I haven't eaten fresh fruit or veg that day, and hunt down something vitamin-y. So thanks mummy and daddy

There were always those kids who got Lunchables + monster munch + kit kat + frube and no fruit or veg. I used to envy the hell out of them until secondary school when they all started getting chubby. Mwahaha :P

ReputationRep:
    I used to have jam sandwiches (every day- I don't eat them much anymore! :p:) a packet of crisps and maybe like a penguin bar and a Capri Sun or something like that. I wasn't 'allowed' yoghurt because I'd invariably spill it down myself xD

I also remember my mum buying these colourful sandwich bags that had stickers that closed it together which had 'fun facts' printed on them

At high school I had the same thing really (sandwiches, crisps, chocolate bar), I rarely had hot dinners because they weren't that nice. I knew a girl that'd have a packed lunch AND something from the school canteen.

ReputationRep:
    I never got a packed lunch, I always got lunch money then looked in envy at the kids with their nice home made sandwiches, whilst I ate my state made slop. Although the breaded fish and chips drenched in vinegar on a friday were quite nice, and I always got extra money for the tuck shop. MMMMMMMM 10p crips :coma:

ReputationRep:
    There was always one kid every single day who went crying to the dinner lady because their yoghurt had exploded in their lunch box.

Our school had 'the trolley' which was like a little tuck shop with ice lollies, cakes, biscuits etc. One day my friend came in with £10 and we spent it ALL. Then we both got in tons of trouble because it turned out she'd nicked it from her mum's purse!

I hated the hot lunch and how they wouldn't let you leave until you'd eaten everything on your plate. The mashed potatoes were the worst. I used to cry and cry because I didn't want to finish my lunch but they just shouted at me for wasting it and wouldn't let me go outside with my friends I bet they don't even do that anymore, it always seemed really really cruel. You shouldn't be able to force-feed a kid. If they don't want to eat then just let them go, jesus christ. PENT UP RAAAAGEE

ReputationRep:
    Well I got school dinners until I was about 8/9 as my parents were poor, but not poor enough for free school meals.

I had to make my own lunch for me and my bro and we usually had a sandwich with jam/cheese on dry cheap bread and a penguin/club bar & crisps. My drink was water the cafeteria gave for free.

I was so lame I used to help out in the lunch hall being a 'scraper'. URGH repulsive. BUT I got a free meal every day so I gave up my ****ty packed lunch.

This was all Primary School btw. At Secondary school I ate minimal food because I was proper fat and never ate...I would pig out at home though. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floskii)
    There was always one kid every single day who went crying to the dinner lady because their yoghurt had exploded in their lunch box.

Our school had 'the trolley' which was like a little tuck shop with ice lollies, cakes, biscuits etc. One day my friend came in with £10 and we spent it ALL. Then we both got in tons of trouble because it turned out she'd nicked it from her mum's purse!

I hated the hot lunch and how they wouldn't let you leave until you'd eaten everything on your plate. The mashed potatoes were the worst. I used to cry and cry because I didn't want to finish my lunch but they just shouted at me for wasting it and wouldn't let me go outside with my friends I bet they don't even do that anymore, it always seemed really really cruel. You shouldn't be able to force-feed a kid. If they don't want to eat then just let them go, jesus christ. PENT UP RAAAAGEE
    We were used to feel guilty about children starving in Africa and how we should be grateful. Way to bring a small child down eh??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    My mum was a single parent struggling with three kids, studying for a Law degree so I got a sandwich, drink, tesco crisps, apple, penguin bar.

I used to be insanely jealous of the kids with the Walkers, cheese-strings and Frubes, but now I realise she did the best she could for us
    Weird thing to say - not on topic.

But this post is one of the only posts I've ever read on TSR that has made me feel really warm and happy inside.

+1

ReputationRep:
    I think the most "premium" product I ever got in a packed lunch was an old school Munch Bunch yoghurt. You know, when the ACTUAL MUNCH BUNCH were on the labels. I used to get so excited to see I'd gotten one, even more so if it was the yellow (banana) one, then the red (strawb), then the pink last (raspberry). I agree I'm a little jealous about all you guys saying you had these super-spensive (well, relatively so) lunch items like Lunchables! *huff*

ReputationRep:
    I had a few cases where I'd have a packed lunch rather than a school dinner, though it never overly appealed to me because I think I prefer my meals hot to cold. But when I did I'd usually have a Lunchables (I remember a ham, cheese, cracker one I had a lot and also one that had like some sort of pizza sauce?) And I'd have dunkers! And then those little pots of chocolate dip, the kp ones. A satsuma and a little box of sunmaid raisins. And then usually a capri sun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoriacatherine)
    Cold oatcakes?!
    I have been known to eat cold oatcakes, but I should probably add that I used to sometimes take them for lunch in Sixth Form, where we were entrusted with a microwave. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to this thread I'm now nostalgically craving cheap sandwich meat paste. Proper old-school, dirt-cheap stuff on doorstop white bread...

ReputationRep:
    Chicken legs, a yogurt and some sort of chocolate roll. I was never allowed crisps

ReputationRep:
    Marmite on crackers, carrot sticks, an apple or grapes and a cereal bar. Everyone elses packed lunches sound so much nicer then mine

ReputationRep:
    My packed lunches were pretty awsome. Got 2 breads, alternated between sweet sweet jam, chocolate and prawns. Got a whole packet of Mary Land Choc chip cookies which I used to share with the friends, a sweet, my personal favourite was Milky Bar Buttons, which went delicously well with the cookies. The drink was usually fruit shoot, capri sun or mango juice when I got lucky.

Good times, good times

Packed lunch? I bought (paid for) my food/had them served out.

ReputationRep:
    I was always sooo jealous of kids who got Lunchables. They lookes so fun! Especially the deluxe ones that came with a Capri Sun and a handful of mini Dime Bars!

Then one day I finally got to try one!

And I was SO disappointed (this should be crossposted in the disappointing food thread). The crackers were really salty, the cheese was just ... bland Dairylea, and the ham was WET. It was coated in like, salt water or something. Horrible. I'm so glad my parents insisted on healthy granola-type-food instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floskii)
    I was always sooo jealous of kids who got Lunchables. They lookes so fun! Especially the deluxe ones that came with a Capri Sun and a handful of mini Dime Bars!

Then one day I finally got to try one!

And I was SO disappointed (this should be crossposted in the disappointing food thread). The crackers were really salty, the cheese was just ... bland Dairylea, and the ham was WET. It was coated in like, salt water or something. Horrible. I'm so glad my parents insisted on healthy granola-type-food instead
    I know what you mean about the wet ham thing. There's always a little reservoir of water at the bottom of their compartment for some reason.

The pizza ones, however - that came with self-applied pizza sauce, were actually very tasty! I think this was attributed to the fact that pizza bases and pepperoni slices are pretty hard to get *really* bad.

As for the ones that came with Daim, didn't they also do those ones with Milka chocolate?! If so, those always looked great.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they did!
    They also did hotdog ones, which looked kind of foul, since you got three tiny hot dog buns, three tiny weiners (teeheeheee) sealed in plastic and a tube of ketchup. Those aren't hot dogs. They're cold puppies!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.