Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best meals you've ever had abroad? watch

ReputationRep:
    So, what's the best meal(s) you've ever had when on holiday or travelling, and what made it so lovely? Although it doesn't have to have been a sit-down meal, I do mean something more substantial than just an icecream or a meat skewer or a cake etc.

My number one would be a meal I had at a Churrascaria (Brazilian grillhouse/ steakhouse) in Rio. It wasn't just the high quality of all the different types of meat, but all the things that came with it - the all-you-can-eat salad and sushi buffet to start off with, then delicious little hot bread rolls and baked potatoes with a lovely creamy garlic sauce inside, and platters of grilled button mushrooms and shallots and aubergine etc. It was the whole experience as well - I'd never been to a restaurant before where the waiters come round with the meat on skewers and just carve off however much you want onto your plate.

Another one would be the meal I had on Christmas Eve 2008 in Australia. A very tasty wattleseed damper with peanut oil and dukka seeds for a starter, then a game platter (emu steak with grilled mushrooms, kangaroo steak, crocodile strips in breadcrumbs, and sweet potato fritters) with a side of Asian vegetables and mirin sauce for the main course, and then wattleseed pavlova for pudding. I'd never had emu meat before so I was surprised at how different it was to any other kind of bird I'd eaten before; it was very much like juicy beef, not at all poultry-like.

Lastly, I'd have to put in the breakfasts we had on a week-long school trip to Normandy when I was in Year 8. I'll never forget how amazed I was at how incredibly big and soft and delicious the croissants were in comparison to all the ones I'd ever had in Britain. I also loved the way you could have great big bowls of hot chocolate to go with them!

ReputationRep:
    A massive steak with chips, onion and two fried eggs I had after a week of hiking and camping in Patagonia. It was the first proper meal I'd had all week and it was just :sogood:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    A massive steak with chips, onion and two fried eggs I had after a week of hiking and camping in Patagonia. It was the first proper meal I'd had all week and it was just :sogood:.
    Argentina or Chile? I've had quite a few people rave to me about how incredibly amazing the steaks are in Argentina... wish I could have made it there to sample one myself!

ReputationRep:
    coldstone ice cream.... best thing ever.

although i must say i had a hog roast on a beach in kenya which was amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    although i must say i had a hog roast on a beach in kenya which was amazing
    That does sound bloody amazing...

ReputationRep:
    Last Summer: Kleftiko

ReputationRep:
    Barbecued Octopus which you could dip in some beautiful chilli sauce, in Tanzania. The best thing ever!

ReputationRep:
    Some random potato pizza in France. I was in France for around 2 months, found this random pizzeria in some backstreet in Limoges, which is a city in central France. So good. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Argentina or Chile? I've had quite a few people rave to me about how incredibly amazing the steaks are in Argentina... wish I could have made it there to sample one myself!
    Chile. I've never been to Argentina, but I want to go some day purely because of the meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Some random potato pizza in France. I was in France for around 2 months, found this random pizzeria in some backstreet in Limoges, which is a city in central France. So good. :coma:
    Wow, that sounds like just my kind of thing I love potato bread and potato cakes. Hang on, you mean the base itself was based on potato, or it had a normal base but had sliced potato as a topping?

ReputationRep:
    Ooof this delicious sukiyaki we had in a minshoku (guest house) in Takayama, Japan. We had been walking since 7am on this hike, and we finally got back for dinner at about 5pm.

It was basically this hotplate over a fire, with delicious cuts of hida beef and mushrooms, and this sticky sweet sauce. There was a side bowl of eggy sauce for dipping. Served with a big bowl of gluteanous, fluffy white rice. Accompanied with generous side dishes of everything, but I especially enjoyed the Gyoza (fried dumplings), Yakitori (barbecued chicken skewers), edamame and sashimi (cuts of fresh raw fish). Oooh it was bloody gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Wow, that sounds like just my kind of thing I love potato bread and potato cakes. You mean the base itself was based on potato, or it had a normal base but had sliced potato as a topping?
    Normal base, potato topping. Hmm, though potato base may have been interesting.

I eat too many potatoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Ooof this delicious sukiyaki we had in a minshoku (guest house) in Takayama, Japan. We had been walking since 7am on this hike, and we finally got back for dinner at about 5pm.

It was basically this hotplate over a fire, with delicious cuts of hida beef and mushrooms, and this sticky sweet sauce. There was a side bowl of eggy sauce for dipping. Served with a big bowl of gluteanous, fluffy white rice. Accompanied with generous side dishes of everything, but I especially enjoyed the Gyoza (fried dumplings), Yakitori (barbecued chicken skewers), edamame and sashimi (cuts of fresh raw fish). Oooh it was bloody gorgeous.
    It certainly sounds it, from your description!

ReputationRep:
    Either -

a bowl of soup with noodles while in Hong Kong, it only cost about £1 or something silly like that but it was probably the best soup ive ever had! plus i got a free can of diet coke :P

or A big proper margarita pizza in italy

or a burrito/wrap/fajita like thing i had in Turkey, it had chicken, lettuce, cucumber, some onion & CHIPS in it. omg i've never had anything like it since

ReputationRep:
    Pizza in Italy :-)

ReputationRep:
    this thinly sliced, tender beef with beansprout in beijing. nom nom nom, it was beaaautiful! would do anything to go back

ReputationRep:
    I had the most amazing fillet of Grouper fish at this restaurant in Lanzarote, on the side was a really lovely sautéed pumpkin. Was very nice, but very bloody expensive!

Also, the best indian meal I've had was at this restaurant in Southern Spain (Puerto Banus) on the harbour, I can't remember the name, but it was bloody nice.

I wish I was on holiday now

Edit: Just found the name of the indian restaurant from Google: Mumtaz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)
    I had the most amazing fillet of Grouper fish at this restaurant in Lanzarote
    What's that like?

ReputationRep:
    Probably the meal I had at a tapas bar in Barcelona. I can only remember it being haddock the rest I can't really remember but it was definitely very good.

ReputationRep:
    The pizza I ate one night in the Dolomites. My boyfriend and I booked a cheap ass all-in hotel since we wanted to spend all our money on touring with our motorbikes, but the food there was absolutely awful, but hey, we wanted a cheap holiday... But one night, we couldn't stand it any longer and decided to eat out.. and what a pleasure that was..

That pizza, right out of a real pizza oven, fresh ingredients... awesome.. !

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.