Turn on thread page Beta

Best meals you've ever had abroad? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Argentina or Chile? I've had quite a few people rave to me about how incredibly amazing the steaks are in Argentina... wish I could have made it there to sample one myself!
    Steak I had in Buenos Aires last night was awesome, along with a porterhouse I had in New York, although that cost $75, last nights cost £6

Also the Churrascinas or whatever them Braziliian Buffet things are called, went to one in Rio which was amazing

Also I loved loads of the food and restaurants in Beijing, the local hot pot restaurants are pretty cool but even just local dim sum restaurants are great.

Damn, I'm hungry now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedger)
    Last Summer: Kleftiko
    *Every summer. Best thing about grandparents living in Cyprus is the annual visits, during which I eat an almost impossible amount of food. Kleftiko, Stifado, Koupepia, Afelia, Lountza, and Tavvas, and for desert, Lokma and Baklava. Cypriot food is just so damn amazing.

However, for the best thing I've ever eaten abroad, that'd have to be another one from Cyprus, a snack called Koupes. Best thing I've ever eaten.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    A really posh restaurant in Paris, a really expensive steak, cooked really not very much, big chunky chips triple cooked, MELTS IN MOUTH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SayonaraSamm)
    However, for the best thing I've ever eaten abroad, that'd have to be another one from Cyprus, a snack called Koupes. Best thing I've ever eaten.
    You've intrigued me - what is Koupes? And Lokma?

ReputationRep:
    Turkey had very good food, Kebab-wise. Also, I ate delicious grilled salmon in Canada.

ReputationRep:
    A ham, Gruyere and asparagus crepe in a resturant in Bordeaux. Oh my god, it was heavenly. I've tried to make it myself many a time but it just never compares.

ReputationRep:
    A meal I had at a place called 'the banana leaf' in New Delhi.

It was a thali, VERY cheap, about a pound.

I got a dosa, coconut chutney, sambar, coriander chutney, and a sweet, gajar ka halwa (warm spiced carrot pudding-amazing!)
    Eaten quite rightly on a banana leaf. Washed down with a sweet lassie (yogurt drink).

ReputationRep:
    You've intrigued me - what is Koupes? And Lokma?
    Lokma are dough balls fried in syrup. Pretty simple, but delicious.
    And as for Koupes, it's more of a snack than a meal, and not exclusive to Cyprus, but it's essentially A ground and fried bulgur wheat casing around minced meat, onions and parsely. Probably haven't explained it that well but eaten hot or cold with lemon squeezed on them, they are a taste sensation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SayonaraSamm)
    Lokma are dough balls fried in syrup. Pretty simple, but delicious.
    And as for Koupes, it's more of a snack than a meal, and not exclusive to Cyprus, but it's essentially A ground and fried bulgur wheat casing around minced meat, onions and parsely. Probably haven't explained it that well but eaten hot or cold with lemon squeezed on them, they are a taste sensation.
    Oh my God, those both sound absolutely delicious. Looks like I'm going to have to go to Cyprus sometime soon!

ReputationRep:
    Tapas in Seville. Yummy.

ReputationRep:
    An amazing Japanese meal in this random back street in Madrid of all placess. Vegetarian ramen, then the most wonderful green tea ice cream. Never had anything as awesome before or since.

Experience nicely topped off by walking out into parade of what I thought I bore a striking resemblance to a KKK rally. Little did I know it was Easter, and it seems quite the thing to do out in España. Type 'spain easter' into Google Images for visuals.

Sorry, got a bit off-topic there.:erm:

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God, those both sound absolutely delicious. Looks like I'm going to have to go to Cyprus sometime soon!
    Oh, do it. I'm already looking forward to seeing my grandparents this summer, and a significant part of that is because it'll be two weeks of sitting by a pool, and then going out to eat.
    Then, have a nap, and repeat.

I'm incredibly hungry now.

ReputationRep:
    In Florida, this place called Manny's Chop House

A lush salad for starters (And I usually HATE salad, so it was quite a feat that I liked it...), and freshly baked warm rolls with CINNAMON butter (SO LUSH), and filet mignon with chips... all for like $15... it was so ridiculously cheap. yummmmm

ReputationRep:
    Bolognaise pizza in a seafront cafe in France

Squirrel fish at Da Dong restaurant in Beijing

Huge fluffy pancakes for breakfast in Snowlands restaurant in Lhasa, Tibet

ReputationRep:
    Double bacon cheese burger and fries at the Mara in the animal kingdom hotel. I'm not even joking I would cut off my right arm to live in that place.

ReputationRep:
    France, definitely. Me and my parents stayed in a family run auberge after doing the "boating down the canal" thing for a week prior, and we had the most gorgeous meal. I can't remember the starter, but the lamb for the main was absolutely divine! For pudding, the chef did warmed pears, with homemade vanilla ice cream and warm chocolate dribbled on top.

Best meal I've ever had. The French sure know how to cook.

ReputationRep:
    The Mexican food (Taco Bell) in the US.

ReputationRep:
    When I first had tacos in either Spain or Greece, it sparked a new food love in me!
    Oh, and in Majorca, a place called the Be Ba Bo (not sure on the spelling) is where I had the gorgeous paella ever. Mmmm.

ReputationRep:
    We went to Barbados for Christmas one year and went to Sandy Lane hotel for Christmas Day. I don't remember much of it (I was only about ten), but I do remember there being salad, fish, rice, potato cakes - it was just amazing!

Also, when I was on my year abroad in Italy my town had a pizza chain called Spizzico. It's like McDonald's, but pizza and it was REALLY good. The best one was probably the gorgonzola and prosciutto pizza. :love: And, obviously, copious amounts of dulce de leche ice cream for afters.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is rather contradictory, but the best Indian meal I've ever had was in Halkidiki in Greece.

In terms of the best quality meals, I had a delicious, albeit huge, meal at the Cook Saddle in Fox Glacier, New Zealand. Such a remote place, but such friendly people. Ah, I'm feeling a sense of nostalgia right now. :heart:

I've also eaten at Raffles Hotel and in the revolving 'Top of the M', both in Singapore. Exquisite food there.

Al Muntaha at the Burj, Dubai is overrated.

And you can't beat American food really... Australian Outback to be more precise. <3

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.