Turn on thread page Beta

Best meals you've ever had abroad? watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A huge-ass sandwich called the Club Dear (triple decker turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato) at Carnegie Deli in New York
    Duck breast strips with honey, apple and pasta at Cafe Kor in Budapest. Sounds bizarre but it was lush.
    Red snapper at Fog Harbor in San Francisco. I'm not normally a big fish eater but this was delicious! So fresh and yummy.
    Fettucine Alfredo at Alfredo's in Epcot Florida. So so simple but done perfectly.
    Beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde, New Orleans - who doesn't love warm sugary doughnutty goodness with coffee?!

ReputationRep:
    Shikh Kebabs fresh off the grill in Bangladesh were fantastic. The meat melted in my mouth in a burst of flavours. You cannot get the type I had there in the UK, which is sad . Also, there's something called a Pani Puri as seen below which I also had in Bangladesh which was just awesome. The blend of textures and flavours in the mouth makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I know this is rather contradictory, but the best Indian meal I've ever had was in Halkidiki in Greece.

I've also eaten at Raffles Hotel and in the revolving 'Top of the M', both in Singapore. Exquisite food there.

And you can't beat American food really... Australian Outback to be more precise. <3
    The best Turkish food I've ever had was from a Turkish cafe in Auckland A delicious Turkish pizza and some absolutely heavenly baklava. Every baklava I've had since has simply paled in comparison...

I've had a Singapore Sling at the Raffles, and some of the monkey nuts The meals were out of our price range though.

Ahhh, the Australian Outback - the memories - I remember buying some kangaroo steak in Katherine and then driving for 100s of kilometres down the Stuart Highway to Tennant Creek, setting up camp for the night and cooking the steaks with chopped onions, before falling asleep under the stars to the sound of flying foxes and nocturnal frogs... The camel jerky was lovely too. What sort of food did you have in the Outback?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    The best Turkish food I've ever had was from a Turkish cafe in Auckland A delicious Turkish pizza and some absolutely heavenly baklava. Every baklava I've had since has simply paled in comparison...

I've had a Singapore Sling at the Raffles, and some of the monkey nuts The meals were out of our price range though.

Ahhh, the Australian Outback - the memories - I remember buying some kangaroo steak in Katherine and then driving for 100s of kilometres down the Stuart Highway to Tennant Creek, setting up camp for the night and cooking the steaks with chopped onions, before falling asleep under the stars to the sound of flying foxes and nocturnal frogs... The camel jerky was lovely too. What sort of food did you have in the Outback?
    Yes, Raffles was excessively expensive but my parents were like "what the hell?!" which suited me just fine.

I was actually talking about the restaurant Australian Outback (it's an American chain). I'm sad to say that I've never been to Australia. Sounds wonderful though.

ReputationRep:
    'Gambas Pil Pil' in a few of our local restaurants in spain...never had prawns like it here

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Raffles was excessively expensive but my parents were like "what the hell?!" which suited me just fine.

I was actually talking about the restaurant Australian Outback (it's an American chain). I'm sad to say that I've never been to Australia. Sounds wonderful though.
    Oh I see Well, I definitely recommend some kangaroo steak if you do make it to Australia!

ReputationRep:
    And you can't beat American food really... Australian Outback to be more precise. <3
    You ever tried their ribs? mmmmmm. :sogood: They also do bacon bits on your fries, ****ing fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    I had a very nice prawn cocktail in Kavos of all places- I don't know what it was about it but it was the most amazing prawn cocktail ever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Oh I see Well, I definitely recommend some kangaroo steak if you do make it to Australia!
    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind! It's one of my top 5 places to go next.

ReputationRep:
    This thread's making me hungry

I had some really really really tasty spaghetti prawn thingy in an Italian restaurant in Vancouver. NOM! and baklava with mint tea in Istanbul!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    You ever tried their ribs? mmmmmm. :sogood: They also do bacon bits on your fries, ****ing fantastic.
    I know!

And the Buffalo wings. :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    This thread's making me hungry

I had some really really really tasty spaghetti prawn thingy in an Italian restaurant in Vancouver. NOM! and baklava with mint tea in Istanbul!
    That sounds heavenly.

I keep bumping into you tonight, it's intriguing! I'm guessing you're off to uni this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Shikh Kebabs fresh off the grill in Bangladesh were fantastic. The meat melted in my mouth in a burst of flavours. You cannot get the type I had there in the UK, which is sad . Also, there's something called a Pani Puri as seen below which I also had in Bangladesh which was just awesome. The blend of textures and flavours in the mouth makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Pani Puri :sogood: I have all the ingredients, temped to go make one now

ReputationRep:
    Not technically a meal but while Skiing in Italy they had the BEST hot chocolate ever - it was practically melted chocolate in a mug....heaven!

ReputationRep:
    burger in Australian bar in Cuzco, Peru.

recommended in Lonely Planet guidebooks.

best burger EVER, and I've had a fair few burgers in my lifetime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SayonaraSamm)
    Lokma are dough balls fried in syrup. Pretty simple, but delicious.
    And as for Koupes, it's more of a snack than a meal, and not exclusive to Cyprus, but it's essentially A ground and fried bulgur wheat casing around minced meat, onions and parsely. Probably haven't explained it that well but eaten hot or cold with lemon squeezed on them, they are a taste sensation.

Ah we call them Kibbeh around here!
    I agree, so good! I love to dip them in tzatziki.
    Gozleme too, is great, it's like a stuffed parata. I like the spinach and feta cheese-yum!

Also, nothing can beat authentic shish taouk sandwiches.

ReputationRep:
    Either whole garlic prawns in southern France, bolognese topped-pizza in Croatia or burritos in southern USA

ReputationRep:
    In the Italian district of San Diego I had the most delicious seafood spaghetti dish known to man. Then for dessert we got to pick a cake from the bakery owned by the restaurant. It was lots of layers of puff pastry with cream and caramel and banana on top. *drool*

ReputationRep:
    Everything I ate in Rome <3 everything was just so much better than here. And also this is a bit odd, but when we went to Disneyland Paris a few years back, the hotel had the most amazing breakfast ever. Two rooms devoted to just tables of food :O It was amazing, I could have spend all day there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.