Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I received an offer from Leeds Metropolitan University and the decision letter that I was sent stated the following:

"80 points must be obtained from a minimum of 2 GCE A Level qualifications or equivalent."

Now here's the thing - does that mean that the university is expecting 80 points each from at least two A-Levels, or that they are expecting an overall total of 80 points from the A-Levels that I am doing?

For instance:

Photography - 80 points = C
    Film Studies - 80 points = C

OR,

Photography - 40 points = E
    Film Studies - 40 points = E

If anyone could clear this up I would be highly grateful, thanks a friggin' bundle

ReputationRep:
    It would be 80 points overall.

ReputationRep:
    80 points to get onto a degree? Holy feck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smrj)
    So, I received an offer from Leeds Metropolitan University and the decision letter that I was sent stated the following:

"80 points must be obtained from a minimum of 2 GCE A Level qualifications or equivalent."

Now here's the thing - does that mean that the university is expecting 80 points each from at least two A-Levels, or that they are expecting an overall total of 80 points from the A-Levels that I am doing?

For instance:

Photography - 80 points = C
    Film Studies - 80 points = C

OR,

Photography - 40 points = E
    Film Studies - 40 points = E

If anyone could clear this up I would be highly grateful, thanks a friggin' bundle
    What the **** 80 points. Is leeds a good uni?

ReputationRep:
    you can get into a university with 2 Es? :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by njl)
    Well, you can potentially get into Christ's Cambridge with 2 E's.

Why neg rep? It's true. I mean they give out about 1 offer like that but you can get into christs with those grades if you're very very very lucky.... (at least I think it's christs, hope I haven't got my colleges mixed up)

ReputationRep:
    Whut, 80 points?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by njl)
    It's probably a foundation course for 1 year which leads onto a BSC honours or it could just be a FDSC course which is a full time foundation degree.

And it means 80 points from the two A levels you are currently doing. You'll get it easily anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thames Valley require 50 UCAS points on one of their courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppp)
    What the **** 80 points. Is leeds a good uni?
    Leeds Met rather than Leeds, but it's definitely not a trainwreck of a university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)

Why neg rep? It's true. I mean they give out about 1 offer like that but you can get into christs with those grades if you're very very very lucky.... (at least I think it's christs, hope I haven't got my colleges mixed up)
    It is Christ's, but according to their website 1/3rd of their offers are allocated as such - alternatively, they gave out at least one A*A*A*A*A* offer as well last year, for medicine, so if you apply there & get in I guess it'll either be REALLY good or REALLY stressful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Yes, but it's a bit of a catch-22 clause, because the calibre of a student who got an EE offer from Cambridge would probably be so high that they'd already have more than EE from their AS exams alone.

ReputationRep:
    80 points? I need 360 points and that's just to put me in a position to reapply Damn you medicineeeee!

*Shakes fist towards sky*

But, in answer to your question, it means that as long as you make up 80 points between the 2 courses you'll get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinchenko)
    It is Christ's, but according to their website 1/3rd of their offers are allocated as such - alternatively, they gave out at least one A*A*A*A*A* offer as well last year, for medicine, so if you apply there & get in I guess it'll either be REALLY good or REALLY stressful!
    True, but you must still be very lucky to get the offer considering the fact that christs is one of the more applied to colleges (from what I hear), so not only do you need to get into cambridge (difficult), you also need to get into christs (even more difficult) and you need to be in the top third (even more difficult still)

ReputationRep:
    That sounds sooo easy!!
    I would have got that after sitting half my AS exams!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Yes, but it's a bit of a catch-22 clause, because the calibre of a student who got an EE offer from Cambridge would probably be so high that they'd already have more than EE from their AS exams alone.
    True, I was merely pointing out that you can go to a world class university (theoretically) with 2E's at A level. I mean obviously like you say in practice it's meaningless. I was just making a point more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    woah I need 360...

ReputationRep:
    I need 320. (I felt like joining in because it seemed like a bragging spot.) >.>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    I need 320. (I felt like joining in because it seemed like a bragging spot.) >.>
    Um well in that case I win/lose since I need 440 equivalent

ReputationRep:
    OP, yes all you do need is 2 A'levels with an E grade at both.

Im guessing this is deifnitely for a foundation degree?

If not, that is really surprising.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.