Turn on thread page Beta

Parents spoil me...how to stop? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I realise some people are probably going to pass hate my way simply for stating I'm spoilt. But it's better to notice I am than not noticing at all and carrying on with life.

My parents frequently buy me stuff out of the blue despite the fact that I never show any interest in wanting anything and I'm sated previous to that point. I'm very grateful for it, but I never asked for anything, and it always makes me feel immensely guilty and spoilt (I don't WANT to be spoilt).

If I EVER show any interest in an object, for example "Oh, I'm saving up for that" or "That looks nice" normally within a few days it's bought for me. I'm grateful for it, but I don't want this. How will I ever know what it feels like to work for the things I want most? It means I don't genuinely talk to my parents about my interests or desires because if I do they'll go out spend on me.

After a while I could never bring my friends back to my house because I didn't want them to see how much my parents spoil me, it was genuinely embarrassing and made me feel bad in front of them. I've told my parents to stop buying me things, but they simply laugh it off, dismiss the thought and carry on.

When I went to university I thought it might change, but it didn't. They still buy me stuff just in anticipation for when I come back.

For example I was speaking to my dad on the phone the other day and he asked me what I thought about that new Crysis 2 game. I stated it looked alright but it was more to my brother's sort of taste and that I did not want it. Only to come home this weekend and find it waiting for me, neatly placed on the desk in my room...

I realise I should be more grateful, and people are going to call me spoilt for complaining about being spoilt. But how do I get them to stop? I've tried talking to them but they won't listen <_>.

ReputationRep:
    Donate it all to your local Oxfam shop.

ReputationRep:
    wanna swap parents?

ReputationRep:
    Have a clear out of all the stuff they've bought for you that you don't want or need.

Tell your parents you're doing this and ask what they think you should do. Say you can either try and sell it, or give it to a charity shop, but just make it clear that you didn't want or need all the extra stuff, and that you want to give it to people who will actually need it.

Just an idea :/ Thats a difficult one!

ReputationRep:
    Simply tell your parents you would rather be independent and would prefer it if they didn't buy you things, especially things you don't ask for. Basically, everything you've said in this post. Tell them you won't be able to develop a work ethic and respect for money if things are made so easy for you and therefore be unable to function in the real world.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.