Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Actually madbid is a penny auction, where you have to pay to get a fee just to get into the bidding. So while one person may get a MacBook Air for £40, if there's 50 other people who have paid a tenner to bid then the seller gets over £500 [= it's a mug's game really =P
    But how can it be! The retarded humpty dumpty with a gavel looks so trustworthy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twist.the.illusion)
    But how can it be! The retarded humpty dumpty with a gavel looks so trustworthy!!
    Haha I know, certainly there can't be anything dodgy behind a £50 laptop! =P

ReputationRep:
    Apple Resellers/ Apple Store with a Student discount.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies guys they all helped tremendously! Once I can give rep again I'll be handing it out haha.

(Original post by Gofre)
    Just one thing, do you reckon it's best to go directly to the Apple Store (easy for me since I live in Glasgow) or order online through the University Network/Phone?

Reason I ask is someone told me (dunno whether to believe them or not) that you get more student discount over the phone or online.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutini)
    Thanks for all your replies guys they all helped tremendously! Once I can give rep again I'll be handing it out haha.

Just one thing, do you reckon it's best to go directly to the Apple Store (easy for me since I live in Glasgow) or order online through the University Network/Phone?

Reason I ask is someone told me (dunno whether to believe them or not) that you get more student discount over the phone or online.

Thanks again.
    There's no difference in discount given, I called up myself to check when I bought mine in January. The Apple store quoted me identical prices to those given online.

The only major difference is that the free extended warranty is exclusive to the online store. I personally went for the discounted AppleCare for the telephone support and home pickup/delivery, but if you'd rather have the free coverage then go online. Otherwise I'd buy from the store simply because the staff can answer any questions you have, help you set it up (Not really necessary, but handy if you're new to Macs and want the piece of mind of having an experienced user with you) for free and you get the machine on the day, rather than having to wait for it to be shipped (On that note, I've personally had major issues with getting things delivered in the past and wouldn't trust delivery services with something I've just paid a grand for =P).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    There's no difference in discount given, I called up myself to check when I bought mine in January. The Apple store quoted me identical prices to those given online.

The only major difference is that the free extended warranty is exclusive to the online store. I personally went for the discounted AppleCare for the telephone support and home pickup/delivery, but if you'd rather have the free coverage then go online. Otherwise I'd buy from the store simply because the staff can answer any questions you have, help you set it up (Not really necessary, but handy if you're new to Macs and want the piece of mind of having an experienced user with you) for free and you get the machine on the day, rather than having to wait for it to be shipped (On that note, I've personally had major issues with getting things delivered in the past and wouldn't trust delivery services with something I've just paid a grand for =P).
    Thanks again, but hmmm I'm not really sure what would be best now, 3 year free warranty does seem really tempting though, that means free replacements/fixing if anything breaks right? Which would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutini)
    Thanks again, but hmmm I'm not really sure what would be best now, 3 year free warranty does seem really tempting though, that means free replacements/fixing if anything breaks right? Which would you recommend?
    It won't cover any accidental damage, but yeah, the warranty will cover break downs. I had the entire top half of my MacBook Pro replaced overnight when it broke, which I was very happy with! I personally chose the fully fledged AppleCare, in the grand scheme of things £50 isn't a lot when you're paying £900, and the convenience of 24hr phone support and home pickup (Especially useful if you live a distance away from an Apple Store) is worth it in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Wait til September when they give our free iPod Touches with every Macbook for students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It won't cover any accidental damage, but yeah, the warranty will cover break downs. I had the entire top half of my MacBook Pro replaced overnight when it broke, which I was very happy with! I personally chose the fully fledged AppleCare, in the grand scheme of things £50 isn't a lot when you're paying £900, and the convenience of 24hr phone support and home pickup (Especially useful if you live a distance away from an Apple Store) is worth it in my opinion.
    Sup it's me again, hahaha, I spoke with an Apple 'Expert' over the chat on the Apple Website today and she told me that the three year warranty comes with the educational discount anyway, so it is available directly from the store as well as online, are you sure it was only available online? So I'm a bit confused, I've heard loads of different things and I have no idea what's going on. I don't have access to the Apple Store or my Uni Network at the moment otherwise I'd know the answer by now ofc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Actually madbid is a penny auction, where you have to pay to get a fee just to get into the bidding. So while one person may get a MacBook Air for £40, if there's 50 other people who have paid a tenner to bid then the seller gets over £500 [= it's a mug's game really =P
    Been on Madbid two days so far and won 2 iPod Shuffles, a £75 Next voucher, £25, a 103 piece tool set (lol), and some madbid credits. Made a tidy profit so far, yup, definitely a mug's game

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone my name is eli i am from lebanon. I am currently pursuing my masters degree at city university.

I would like ur help in a certain issue. Most of my work will demand using excel and powerpoint for my finance presentations. I need to buy a new laptop and i was thinking of getting a mac. Is the mac easy to use if i am a beginner? And will i find any difficulties using excel and powerpoint since i have never used a mac before?

Finaly which one do u recommend for a first time a pro or an air?

Thanks a lot

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.