Turn on thread page Beta

Someone mark this for me please? [English Lit] - Can you tell me what grade it is? watch

ReputationRep:
    Done

ReputationRep:
    B is still a grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    B is still a grade
    That doesn't make sense? B is still a grade?

Could you re-phrase that lol

and thanks for reading
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think he's trying to say it's about a B, I'd be inclined to say it's a low B or high C

It starts off well but then your paragraph length drops considerably, this is fine when done right in an article type piece, but not in an analysis essay.

You're also seriously lacking when it comes to quotes and it's rather short, only about a page of A4, while the length would be a high B or low A in an exam (providing it was a good essay other than the length), it's a bit lacking when it comes to coursework with which you should be aiming at 2 pages at least, most of my class did at least 3 with most doing 4.

ReputationRep:
    I am putting on my 'snarky teacher' hat for this, so forgive me if I'm a bit rude.

(Original post by ju1c)
    Educating Rita is a play which was written by Willy Russell in the late seventies. There are two main characters in the whole play. Frank her tutor, and Rita the student. This play is about Rita, a married woman, trying to achieve a better life for her. Going to an Open University has turned her life around. She is willing to lose everything for an enhanced standard of living.
    You are not meant to summarise the story of Educating Rita, you are meant to answer the question.

Act 1 scene 1 is the introductory stage to Russell's characters.
    What is an 'introductory stage'? Awkward phrasing.

we get to know Frank quite well
    How nice. Inappropriate.

We learn that Frank is a university lecturer who appears to have grown tired of his job and the same old people.
    Again, you need to be answering the question, not re-telling the story.

Russell uses a lot of dramatic devices.
    Good for him.

To begin with, Russell does not tell straight away the reason why Frank, the university lecturer, is “hurriedly” replacing each book on the bookshelf; instead, he creates an element of suspense, keeping interest in the audience’s eyes.
    Here you are actually answering the question; well done. I am not quite sure what 'keeping interest in the audience's eyes' is meant to mean, however. Rephrase it.

We see Frank searching the rows and rows of literature in his office for an author beginning with "E"; he then seems to decide he wants Dickens. Once he finds his collection of Dickens, he pulls them out, to reveal a bottle of Whiskey.
    You're narrating again.

They have a conversation that increases in venom
    Another turn of phrase that isn't very convincing.

Whoever is on the other side of the door is having trouble making their way inside, and so Frank begins to get irritated with their persistent knocking after he has already said, "Come in.." a few times.
    This is not analysis, this is narration.

Russell uses the door metaphorically to explain how hard and painful it is for Rita to get an education now, and also, all the decisions she is going to take, such as leaving Denny.
    Good. Explain this more, though - weave the prior narration into an explicit point.

After this, it gets better, and the essay leaves the earlier narration for analysis that is often solid.

Rita has a ‘working-class’ accent and speaks informal
    Rita does not speak 'informal', she speaks 'informally'.

This makes the opening very dramatic as we see such a big gap in education and social class level that the audience can pick up on it and make sense of the humour in it.
    You'd hope so, wouldn't you? This just isn't very convincing - be more confident.

Introducing of the characters Rita and Frank to the audience was also effective
    Either say 'the introduction of the characters Rita and Frank' or 'introducing the characters Rita and Frank'. But then again, perhaps you'd be best off rewriting the sentence.

and by using in-depth symbolism to make this such an effective opening to the play
    I'd like an example.

The extensive insight gained in this first scene, will help the reader tremendously, in understanding further events in the play, and the relationship that develops.
    A bit odd. The commas in this sentence should be removed. Elaborate on this point a bit, perhaps.

In general, I think you need to adopt a more authoritative tone, and to stop using language that you clearly don't fully understand. Also, I'm not sure what the word limit is on this piece, but it feels a bit brief. Overall I think this is C-grade stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Nvm

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.