Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)
    C'mon, Cicero is awesome! :love: Catullus is a bit dump, though... :nothing:

And Catiline, well, I already said that I love Sallust. I actually did an Ancient History module on Sallust (and therefore Catiline, too) last semester, that was really good! It was one of the things that motivated me to do Ancient History at uni, too, though Classics is still my core passion
    I don't like him as the person he portrays himself as. So far at least. Catullus, I like his poetry but Catullus the character had his head up his arse. Or rather, up the arse of a real Roman citizen.

It's more the problems of the sources for Catiline that make me dislike him right now - I have an essay on him due in on Monday :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    When reading a text it is like the author is reaching out and speaking to you personally, so to get into the mindset and be spoken to by a great figure of the classical world (Cicero, Caesar, Virgil, etc) is a truly humbling experience.
    Virgil is my favourite at the moment, we are studying book 6 in school for our exams and I have fallen in love with Cerberus!

I can't say I'm that keen on Cicero, I find it pretty hard to translate

I don't do classics but I do latin and I love how every story is like a fairytale and they did not give a **** about shagging other folk while married.

ReputationRep:
    It's just one of the more traditional subjects and fuses philosophy, art, literature, history and it enhances my logical skills in way which maths has failed to do so. It's challengic and thought-provoking.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Sappho)
    C'mon, Cicero is awesome! :love: Catullus is a bit dump, though... :nothing:

And Catiline, well, I already said that I love Sallust. I actually did an Ancient History module on Sallust (and therefore Catiline, too) last semester, that was really good! It was one of the things that motivated me to do Ancient History at uni, too, though Classics is still my core passion
    Catullus is my favourite Roman author. He's so witty and innovative. I have to disagree with you there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet by and by)
    Virgil is my favourite at the moment, we are studying book 6 in school for our exams and I have fallen in love with Cerberus!

I can't say I'm that keen on Cicero, I find it pretty hard to translate

I don't do classics but I do latin and I love how every story is like a fairytale and they did not give a **** about shagging other folk while married.
    Fairytales for adults, filthy-minded adults

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinite_Spectrum)
    It's just one of the more traditional subjects and fuses philosophy, art, literature, history and it enhances my logical skills in way which maths has failed to do so. It's challengic and thought-provoking.
    Yeah, I love the way it fuses together different subjects too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Catullus is my favourite Roman author. He's so witty and innovative. I have to disagree with you there.
    I like his poetry but I hate the character he portrays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    I studied it at A Level, it was my most enjoyable subject.

And The Bacchae. My favourite Greek Tragedy. Ever.
    :suith: Euripides
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    I like his poetry but I hate the character he portrays
    It's part of the charm surely? His persona of the typical lad is why his poetry is still accessible today.

ReputationRep:
    Because Greek is awesome in more ways than I can describe. I did Greek Higher Level for IB and it was my favourite subject by far. And Aristophanes = total legend

ReputationRep:
    Cicero and the Civil Wars was what really got me into Classics, Ovid's Amores is awesome and now im getting into Greek philosophy just need to learn some basic greek over the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Fairytales for adults, filthy-minded adults
    Oh indeed, my slightly odd latin teacher almost jizzed once when he told us a story, he wall all wheezy :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The language - I HEART Latin grammar in a bizarre kind of way, and of course the literature. Ovid et al. are just utter dons.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.