Turn on thread page Beta

Who pays for vice-related health problems? watch

ReputationRep:
    as far as i know, the answer is the NHS (unless you go private).

how does this make sense? surely if you have a health problem you caused yourself, such as smoking-related cancer, drug-caused brain damage, a preventable STI or an obesity-related problem, you should be made to pay the costs yourself, as you caused the damage by unthinking pleasure-seeking and we shouldn't have to fund that?

ReputationRep:
    You are a moron.

ReputationRep:
    Besides, it would cost more to implement than it does currently.

I could get cancer as a smoker or non-smoker - prove that I smoke.

ReputationRep:
    There's taxes on almost everything :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    Not treating these people doesn't stop them drinking/taking drugs. It just means they'll get sick, they may even die. Know what that means? It means the workforce dies. Know who the workforce are? Yup, they're the people paying taxes. Know what funds the NHS? Taxation does!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    What about fat people?
    What about people who do extreme sports?
    What about people who go to the gym?
    What about people who play in the park?
    What about people who cross the road?
    What about people who **** too much?
    What about people who pick their noses?
    What about love?
    What about happiness?
    What about truth?

ReputationRep:
    In some cases this already happens. It is pretty widely known that smokers contribute more in taxes than it costs the NHS to treat them, let alone the indirect savings from not having to pay for their pensions when they die earlier. Also I'd guess that drinkers pay more than it costs the NHS (or the police for that matter) to deal with those problems. The other self inflicted health problems you mention...... I don't think it would be possible for practical reasons, and would involve masses of extra bureaucracy and snooping into our private lives. If this is something you are desperate to solve then I'd suggest charging everyone for health care because it would perhaps encourage everyone to take better care of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sollythewise)

how does this make sense? surely if you have a health problem you caused yourself, such as smoking-related cancer, drug-caused brain damage, a preventable STI or an obesity-related problem, you should be made to pay the costs yourself, as you caused the damage by unthinking pleasure-seeking and we shouldn't have to fund that?
    I'm guessing you're unaware of the large taxes on things like alcohol and tobacco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sollythewise)

Whats a vice and how can you determine causality?

ReputationRep:
    You might find this debate interesting:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/oxford_debates/p...nhs/index.html

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.