Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Quite simply what would you consider modest GCSEs for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    A few A*s, mainly As with one or two Bs.

ReputationRep:
    I'd consider mine quite modest, 1A* 5As 4Bs 1C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    Did you apply for medicine this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arunadindane)
    Did you apply for medicine this year?
    Nope, applying this year (2012 entry)

ReputationRep:
    Mostly As with a couple of A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clewsy)
    A few A*s, mainly As with one or two Bs.
    And in the competitive nature of med would you say modest cuts it or is not good enough?

ReputationRep:
    Mine: 2A*s 7A's 2Bs

pretty modest.

ReputationRep:
    Mine are 3A*, 3A, 3B and a C. If you say modest = average, I'd say mine are a tad under.

ReputationRep:
    Not a single A*...I am 'below average'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arunadindane)
    And in the competitive nature of med would you say modest cuts it or is not good enough?
    Modest cuts it. A friend of mine has 2 A*s, a few As, few Bs and a C and currently has two offers and one interview. I think as long as you have As in your sciences and don't apply to GCSE mad universities (Oxford, Birmingham, Kings and to an extent George's and Liverpool) you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetanus)

pretty modest.
    Congratulations on your offer for Soton 5000 applicants this year, but if you don't mind mind me asking why do you reckon you got rejections from your other unis?

ReputationRep:
    That's probably below average tbh (I got exactly the same thing btw - don't apply to leeds, lol) Had that and was estimated 4A's in all science and maths and got 9/16 for academics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    That's probably below average tbh (I got exactly the same thing btw - don't apply to leeds, lol) Had that and was estimated 4A's in all science and maths and got 9/16 for academics
    I know they're below average, it's a shame I didn't revise for GCSEs. I was thinking of applying to Leeds haha, any tips on where to apply with GCSEs as awesome as ours?

ReputationRep:
    I know they're below average, it's a shame I didn't revise for GCSEs. I was thinking of applying to Leeds haha, any tips on where to apply with GCSEs as awesome as ours?
    I got an interview at Glasgow (though rejected after, haha) focus on UKCAT, get a good score and go for ones with cut offs (not sheffield unless you're in the high 700s)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    I got an interview at Glasgow (though rejected after, haha) focus on UKCAT, get a good score and go for ones with cut offs (not sheffield unless you're in the high 700s)
    Ah unlucky about Glasgow, are you reapplying? And yes, UKCAT is going to be a major focus in a couple months time, just got a few AS levels to focus on then all my attention will be focussed on doing well in the UKCAT and making a good PS.

ReputationRep:
    Ah unlucky about Glasgow, are you reapplying? And yes, UKCAT is going to be a major focus in a couple months time, just got a few AS levels to focus on then all my attention will be focussed on doing well in the UKCAT and making a good PS.
    nah going GEM, lol.
    sweet, research your uni's hardcore now so you know where you have a chance, i could have had 3 interviews realistically but didn't research properly, go out of your comfort zone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    nah going GEM, lol.
    sweet, research your uni's hardcore now so you know where you have a chance, i could have had 3 interviews realistically but didn't research properly, go out of your comfort zone
    Ah, good luck with GEM, hard to imagine something even more competitive than A100 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, good luck with GEM, hard to imagine something even more competitive than A100 :rolleyes:
    I know, but no more gap year, just gonna take it as it comes, if it's supposed to happen i'll get there, lol and i only lose a year tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetanus)

pretty modest.
    I'm so glad to see that someone with similar GCSEs to me has an offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.