Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you make your car un-stealable? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So my car got stolen in front of my flat last week and since then I am paranoid that the people who stole my car will steal my new car again. I just got a new used car for myself today and it's Honda Accord. According to some people I know, the most stealable car is Honda. Now I am scared to death that people will steal my car again, I'm seriously thinking that maybe it's someone who lives in my flat because no one could get inside my flat unless you have a remote control key. So it's either someone who lives inside or someone who works inside my flat. I'm really scared that maybe they are watching me. Until now I still haven't heard anything from my car. But 2 days after my car got stolen, my coworkers daughter got her car stolen too, and it's also in front of her flat which was the same scenario like mine but different place and it's a Honda too. So my question is, is there any way to make your car un-stealable? I mean besides putting alarms/cane lock in it is there really any other way? I don't want my car to get stolen again. :sad: It's bothering me so much that I look outside my window every minute and I'm thinking of putting a hidden camera outside my patio.

I was thinking of putting an alarm, and more than 1 alarm (an alarm that makes a loud sound if someone tried to open it and a gps so that when they get away with it I would still be able to locate the location of my car). What do you think? I need some opinion please. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Awwwwwwww

ReputationRep:
    You could wire in a cut off switch to the fuel pump.

My car would be so easy to steal. If you could get into the engine bay you've only got to move a couple of wires around and break the steering lock. But that's 34 year old technology for you.

ReputationRep:
    They tell you to scratch your number plate number into all your windows.. You wouldn't really want to steal a car that has that as you can't really change the plates.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    clamp your car???

ReputationRep:
    Funkss! idea is good

Also, fit a tracking device to your car so you can find it if it does get stolen, then you can catch the theives and stop them from doing it again to either you or anyone else

Also, fit some sort of fancy (sorry for the lack of technical terms here) alarm to scare them off and display a sticker to say what kind of alarm is fitted to your car. Also, this alongside a tracker being fitted can decrease the price of your insurance so it's well worth doing either way.

ReputationRep:
    I gave your thread a thumbs up. Ironically of course. This is a terrible thread.

Well, it's alright.

ReputationRep:
    get a **** car that no one would bother robbing

ReputationRep:
    Sell it?

ReputationRep:
    - clamp it.
    - leave it parked with empty fuel tank so the thief (spelling...........?!..... :/ ) cannot drive it away.
    - befriend an owl and request it to guard it for you whilst you sleep at night.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you get a steering lock? And invest in an alarm.

ReputationRep:
    If you put a tiger in your car the chances of it being stolen decrease significantly.

If it's any consolation, I'm sure I remember some tests were done a few years ago and the Fiat Multipla was the car that got stolen fastest out of the cars being experimented on.

ReputationRep:
    Just put a bomb in it so that if anyone tries to cut any wires when the immobiliser/alarm is activated the car blows up.

Then you can just tell your insurance that they blew it up when they tried stealing (hot wiring) it as they obviously screwed it up and caused an explosion.

You may not have the same car but the satisfaction you'll have when you see the fried criminal inside will be much more pleasing.

ReputationRep:
    Clamp it.

ReputationRep:
    Get it painted pink. With yellow polka-dots.

Noone would steal it then

On a more serious note, get a decent alarm / tracker. Or clamping it yourself isn't that bad of an idea.

ReputationRep:
    Have a body-heat-activated speaker system play the Jaws theme song whenever someone opens the driver's door. The suspense will kill them, and the fear of being eaten by a shark will motivate them to run off.

ReputationRep:
    Make an induction coil with thick gauged wire round the steering wheel, spray black to disguise and hide an isolated key

ReputationRep:
    Trackers work on the mobile phone service, and pro thieves buy jammers for £90 off eBay, or just rip out the device. Even a bit of tin-foil over the aerial works. On a fairly cheap car they are a waste of several hundred pounds, plus annual subscription fees.

The best security device I have found has been the Disklok which have proven to be very resistant to attack unless the keys are acquired. It also protects your expensive airbag from theft (very common).

A half decent alarm is OK, but again, pro's know how to silence them before activation and then disable them. A secondary system to the alarm is the Clifford Blackjax which will not only protect the car if the alarm is over-ridden, but also if they acquire the keys, and in the event of a car-jacking.

ReputationRep:
    If the criminals want it, they'll get it - even if it means loading it onto a flatbed in the middle of the night. However, physical security (such as the Disklok mentioned above) is still your best bet. It won't stop them, but it'll make your car less attractive and chances are they'll pick an easier target (especially as it's not a rare model).

You could spend an absolute fortune on tracking systems, but criminals tend to just steal the car and then park it up for a few days to see if any tracking device is fitted. If nobody has found it by then, chances are it's clear. The cheap trackers off eBay can be disabled by a little device which plugs into the cigarette lighter - so effectively useless. Nobody takes a blind bit of notice of alarms.

You won't believe how far criminals will go for the 'right' car. Recently, there's been a number of VWs and BMWs stolen on the key, despite the fact that the owner hasn't lost any of their original keys. How? There's dodgy blokes working at the main dealerships who'll programme their car criminal mates a replacement key using the centralised system, then delete all tracks. Doesn't matter how good the security systems are when the criminal's opening the car with a seemingly legitimate key.

Since you mentioned there are a few Honda going missing in your area, I reckon the chances are that there's a less than wholesome individual with access to a machine which can programme Honda keys. So, to protect yourself, physical security is key - something like the Disklok is probably the easiest, cheapest option.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.