Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    With the debate regarding whether AV or FPTP is best for the job, why is it that everyone's not talking about the Additional Member System or Single Transferable Vote. Now, I can't vote in the upcoming referendum, but I'd vote no if I could. If we get a yes, that's not a 'stepping stone' for a new fairer system, it's just going to be a system catering towards coalitions of Labour/Tories + Lib Dems. If we really want a fairer electoral system then we should be focusing on a system such as AMS, which seamlessly brings together the advantages of FPTP and PR into one electoral system. Voting no is surely the best way to go - the possibility of a better electoral system than AV in a subsequent, but distant referendum and, with nothing left for the Lib Dems to fight for having lost their dignity already, maybe the coalition will fall.

Your views?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, in my opinion going from FPTP to AV is going from one corrupt backwards system to yet another corrupt backwards system.

Despite the fact I am Conservative, I actually support STV just as much as you do. But it won't happen at the moment. If a vote on it happened in the Commons tomorrow you would get around 80 Ayes, and the rest Nays. It simply doesn't have popular support with Labour or Conservatives.

If AV happens, Labour take the advantage and have no reason for Electoral reform as the system suits them. If FPTP remains, Conservatives stay happy as the electoral system continues to suit them. And Labour probably do nothing, if anything they attempt to put AV in power anyway.

Advocates of AV say if a Yes vote is passed then there will opportunity for more reform in the future, a No wouldn't as the population would vote for no change. Personally I intend to vote No because why would a Conservative supporter do so? In the next election my seat could be marginal, if it were fought under AV it would be a Lib Dem stronghold. Personally I think if AV is passed there won't be more opportunity for reform as Labour would be happy in power and if the Liberal Democrat vote does collapse from 57 seats to potentially less regardless then won't be reform.

As much as I want STV to happen I simply can't see it happening anytime soon unless Labour or Conservatives get a more Liberal Leader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChipDeeks)
    With the debate regarding whether AV or FPTP is best for the job, why is it that everyone's not talking about the Additional Member System or Single Transferable Vote. Now, I can't vote in the upcoming referendum, but I'd vote no if I could. If we get a yes, that's not a 'stepping stone' for a new fairer system, it's just going to be a system catering towards coalitions of Labour/Tories + Lib Dems. If we really want a fairer electoral system then we should be focusing on a system such as AMS, which seamlessly brings together the advantages of FPTP and PR into one electoral system. Voting no is surely the best way to go - the possibility of a better electoral system than AV in a subsequent, but distant referendum and, with nothing left for the Lib Dems to fight for having lost their dignity already, maybe the coalition will fall.

Your views?
    I rather like AMS - though it makes getting a majority very, very difficult. That said, it instantly stamps out Labour party-dominance of certain areas. In Glasgow, for example, Labour may well win all but one/two of the constituency seats, but the SNP wins almost all of the regional seats. Their votes are quite similar, but Labour just wins for some reason. Often with around 20% of the overall vote - because most Glasgow people don't turn out to vote.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.