Turn on thread page Beta

can I be a BARRISTER if i did my LLB AT NOTTINGHAM TRENT? watch

ReputationRep:
    get very good marks.

Then find someone who works in Law to give you work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charly533)
    Well, I'm not going to lie, it's not as good as having consistent good grades, but in the end an overall classification of a first is a first and this is what most chambers care about (according to my sponsor and barristers I've spoken to). I got a 2.ii in my first year, then a first in my second year and a first in my final year and I'm getting interviews so it clearly is still possible to be a barrister. But you have to be aware, as Clip states, the chances in this climate, for anyone, are slim.
    sorry i think im confused about something, have you got a chamber sponsoring your BVC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistudent369)
    sorry i think im confused about something, have you got a chamber sponsoring your BVC
    No (I wish!) most of the inns partner you up with a barrister as a source of advice and to look over your cv.

ReputationRep:
    Unless I'm wrong Nottingham Trent is ranked in the 40s for law. The University I went to is ranked in the late 60s! Plus I got a 2:2 in my first year (although I got a first overall) and yet I have a pupillage interview next week.
    I'm not saying I'll definitely get a pupillage (far from it!) but they only interview people who they could see as a pupil. My point is that it's definitely possible to be a barrister with an LLB from Nottingham Trent. As Crazy Jamie says, just work really hard and build up your CV.
    Thanks for the neg rep. I would love to hear what was actually wrong with this post...

ReputationRep:
    is it possible i know it will be hard, but i sooo want this!!1

any tips?

i was thinking after doing my BVC at London College of Law, should I go to another city in the uk to do my pupillage like essex, nottingham, newcastle etc in order to qualify, as they are less popular options, then come back down to london to practice in chambers?
    It's not impossible but it's going to be very difficult for you, because you'll be up against people from the top UK universities. Competition for the Bar is tough and pupillage even tougher, still, if you have your heart set on it, it's worth a try.

You can apply for as much pupillages as you like, as far as I'm aware, so you might as well give both London and other cities a go.

ReputationRep:
    Most Chambers look at the overall degree classification rather than the individual marks. Some scrutinise your marks more, but the reality is that most Chambers will not distinguish between a low and high 2:1. It is seen as a generally accepted minimum because most people who apply for pupillage have a 2:1.

Which is where the views on a First and a 2:2 come into things. Those who suggest that you need a First to secure pupillage are wrong, but a First most certainly does help because it makes you stand out from the majority of candidates in at least one area. And a First is potentially more useful when you attended a weaker university at undergraduate level because that in itself can be a disadvantage.

On the other side of the fence, a 2:2 puts you below the vast majority of candidates in the area of undergraduate degree. It should be obvious that that is a serious blow to your chances of securing pupillage. It is not, however, fatal. There are still people who secure pupillage with a 2:2; to do so you need to be exceptional in most other areas of your application and have real tenacity and determination to succeed. I wouldn't necessarily suggest that your chances of securing a pupillage with a 2:2 are 'almost zero', but whilst you are in the position where you can secure a 2:1 or a First, you might as well view a 2:2 as all but killing your chances of pupillage because it will be a great motivator to get a better mark overall.

The bottom line is this. Competition for pupillage is beyond fierce, and even securing an interview can be a struggle. To get to the interview stage you need to stand out from the majority of applicants who apply. Some things make you stand out more than others, but the general aim is to have as strong an application on paper as you can, which incorporates everything from degree grade to BPTC grade, and awards and other relevant experience outside of academia. The one thing you do not want to do is stand out in a negative way by having a weaker application than the majority. Coming away with only a 2:2 is one glaring way to do this, and as a result you will find that your chances of getting interview (and therefore pupillage) are greatly reduced, even relative to the low standard figures for securing pupillage. You should therefore do everything in your power to avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    so will a 2.ii in my first year and say two 1sts in my second and third year, equating to a first overall hinder my chances?
    Just out of curiosity, if you think you are capable of getting a first in your second and third year (arguably the hardest 2 years out of the degree) why can you not manage to get one in your first year? Charly is one example of a law student who really pulled her grades up from a 2.ii to a first, but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication and to be quite honest... most students won't be able to pull off such a feat.

ReputationRep:
    Not true I spoke to my sponsor and he said most chambers just ask for the overall classification - I'm sure it's different for the top commercial chambers. The civil set I applied for did ask for a breakdown of grades and I got a 2:ii in my first year and was still called for interview. Your overall classification is by far the most important thing.
    I agree that your first year grades may be considered but not that "you WILL definitely need a high 2.i or a first [in your first year] to stand a good chance" though no doubt it helps.
    I didn't say: you will definitely need a high 2.i / first in your first year - you misquoted me. I meant overall, however getting a 2.ii in your first year isn't an amazing indication that you will do well in your 2nd or 2rd year. As you have proved - pulling your grade up from a 2.ii to a first is possible, however I'd argue a lot of people don't manage it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Songeuse)
    I didn't say: you will definitely need a high 2.i / first in your first year - you misquoted me. I meant overall, however getting a 2.ii in your first year isn't an amazing indication that you will do well in your 2nd or 2rd year. As you have proved - pulling your grade up from a 2.ii to a first is possible, however I'd argue a lot of people don't manage it!
    I apologise, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying it in the context of what the OP was saying (whether a 2.ii in first year would hinder chances). I completely agree with the fact that overall you will need a 2.i or 1st to have a chance.
    I think it's quite common for people to under perform in the first year and, I don't know whether it's the same at other universities but, at my university the first year did not count towards overall classification, so it was not a case of pulling up my grade but knuckling down. If you have absolutely tried your hardest to achieve a 2.i or a first in your first year and failed to do so, then I agree that that isn't an amazing indication of how you will do in subsequent years.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.