Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey I did me NPLQ in December.

Just had my crb filled in for casual lifeguards so looks like they gonna take me on casually. But they told me, that they invite me back for swim test.

If anyone is a lifeguard does anyone know what that swim test is, they told me its a breakdown of what I did. Does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    It will just be the timed swims, and maybe a few tows. They wont ask for anything other than what you covered on your NPLQ ... so i would say, make sure you can do the 20:20 and 20:10 tows, and brush up on maybe Spinal work, thats the main

ReputationRep:
    I would say you'd probably need to practice to vice grip especially beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveBwfc)
    It will just be the timed swims, and maybe a few tows. They wont ask for anything other than what you covered on your NPLQ ... so i would say, make sure you can do the 20:20 and 20:10 tows, and brush up on maybe Spinal work, thats the main
    This, but also after they asked me Q's like in the actual lifeguard exam and we did CPR.
    Just go over the stuff covered in the course and refresh

ReputationRep:
    Its just a competency test, everyone has to do one when they first join. At my pool they basically ask you to do everything you did in the real test bar the spinal board. You also don't have to answer theory questions where I work.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a swimtest is generally a 20:20 conscious tow, a 20:10 unconscious tow, a spinal board rescue, an unconscious casualty rescue and maybe just some lengths to show you can actually swim.

To warn you though, it is the most boring job in the world. I've got my UKCC coaching level 2 now and would rather gouge out my eye with a spoon then do another 2-10 lifeguarding shift

ReputationRep:
    Haha, to be fair, it is quite boring. Apart from at my place, maximum 4 hour shifts, half an hour off (on reception), half an hour on poolside, and very good money.

If you can, apply to a private (not lesiure centre) pool, better pay and shorter shifts (but more of them).

Good luck for your test though liam

ReputationRep:
    I did it when I went and applied for the Fireman's Rehab Center.

Mine was timed swimming, conscious and unconscious tow, person on the bottom of the pool, potential spinal injury, hypothetical situation and bringing weak swimmers in.

It may not apply to everyone, but that was mine. :dontknow: We had the twelve lifeguards come in on one day to work on it; and because half of us there trained in one group, we got our former Instructor back to walk us back through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveBwfc)
    Haha, to be fair, it is quite boring. Apart from at my place, maximum 4 hour shifts, half an hour off (on reception), half an hour on poolside, and very good money.

If you can, apply to a private (not lesiure centre) pool, better pay and shorter shifts (but more of them).

Good luck for your test though liam

Cheers 20:20, I think I know I remember doing a 65 second tow for concious and 45 for unconcious. I soon find out, didn't do brillant on first aid bit on me test which was a bandage but me CPR was fine and everything else.. Spine board is the worst to do lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeschylus)
    Yeah a swimtest is generally a 20:20 conscious tow, a 20:10 unconscious tow, a spinal board rescue, an unconscious casualty rescue and maybe just some lengths to show you can actually swim.

To warn you though, it is the most boring job in the world. I've got my UKCC coaching level 2 now and would rather gouge out my eye with a spoon then do another 2-10 lifeguarding shift
    Hey, I'm hopefully doing my NPLQ during half term and I was wondering what a 20:20 and 20:10 tow is?

I've done lifesaving tests before (not for the NPLQ though) and I'm confused as I don't remember what those things are

Also, what's the actual NPLQ course like? The information I have about it makes it sound okay/ easy but a friend told me that it's incredibly hard and half the people pull out during the week because of how tough it is....was this the same for you?

ReputationRep:
    sorry for late reply.

the nplq requires a lot of theory just basically general knowledge like zoning, what you do as a lifeguard? such as your role, hazards etc.

20:20 - swim 20 meters of the pool and tow someone back 20 meters in under 65 seconds or less. (concious casualty)

20:10 - same as 20:20 except unconcious casualty they are lying with their face into the pool, except its towing back 10 meters instead of 20. You have to do this in 45 seconds or less.

Although you probably done this already.

Hope this helps.

Liam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeschylus)

Excuse my stupidity and a bump from an old thread, but what is the difference between the way a lifeguard would act if there was an unconscious tow and an unconscious casualty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dylantombides)
    Excuse my stupidity and a bump from an old thread, but what is the difference between the way a lifeguard would act if there was an unconscious tow and an unconscious casualty?
    An unconscious casualty will obviously not be cooperative, so its more of a grab and go thing.
    With a conscious casualty you can give them instructions, tow them with an item of clothing, use a chin tow or extended chin tow.

Also, you would need help to remove an unconscious person from the pool.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.