Turn on thread page Beta

Thread for those on anti depressants watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilshere)
    i wish i wasnt on them its not fair :mad:
    No one wants to be on them. Its just a part of life I'm afraid and life isnt always fair. You just need to follow your doctors advice and not come off them just yet though...

ReputationRep:
    i wish i wasnt on them its not fair :mad:
    I wish my dosage was larger. I'd do anything to make me life just that bit better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I wish my dosage was larger. I'd do anything to make me life just that bit better.
    ask your doctor then?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    ask your doctor then?
    I have. She keeps saying 'maybe when you go to uni...' and 'but you're so small, you couldn't cope with more...' I don't want to risk trying a different drug before my exams...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    How long have you been on them? I am just wondering because I was on AD for just over 2 years and according to my mum that is an unusually long time to be on any sort of medication.
    Your mum is wrong, I'm afraid. Plenty of people are on all sorts of medication for life - think of all the diabetic, hypertensive, hypothyroid etc patients out there.

As for anti-depressants, there is good evidence that staying on them for at least 6 months after you recover prevents relapses. If you have had recurrent episodes of depression/anxiety etc then the recommendation is to stay on them for two years after recovery. I know it seems like a long time but to all the people in here wanting to come off, please wait until you've discussed it with your doctor before doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Your mum is wrong, I'm afraid. Plenty of people are on all sorts of medication for life - think of all the diabetic, hypertensive, hypothyroid etc patients out there.

As for anti-depressants, there is good evidence that staying on them for at least 6 months after you recover prevents relapses. If you have had recurrent episodes of depression/anxiety etc then the recommendation is to stay on them for two years after recovery. I know it seems like a long time but to all the people in here wanting to come off, please wait until you've discussed it with your doctor before doing so.
    It's just annoying though, it makes me feel abnormal, but at the end of the day I think I'm quite a normal typical guy, with the exception of my OCD and depression.
    Do you see what I'm trying to say? I don't like to feel like I'm mental because generally I think I'm just a normal guy, not a mental person

ReputationRep:
    It's just annoying though, it makes me feel abnormal, but at the end of the day I think I'm quite a normal typical guy, with the exception of my OCD and depression.
    Do you see what I'm trying to say? I don't like to feel like I'm mental because generally I think I'm just a normal guy, not a mental person
    You're not a mental person just because you're on antidepressants! You are on medication for a problem which you had/have, and there's no shame in that regardless of whether it's physical, mental or both. As I said, the chances of you having a relapse of your OCD/depression are higher if you stop your antidepressants early or especially if you stop them abruptly, so that's why we advise against it - just as plenty of other medicines have to be cut down slowly.

ReputationRep:
    My tablets are forever I think and I'm okay with that. Is that weird?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twist.the.illusion)
    My tablets are forever I think and I'm okay with that. Is that weird?
    yes because you can't drink alcohol as much as you would be able to?

ReputationRep:
    yes because you can't drink alcohol as much as you would be able to?
    You're not supposed to drink alcohol with anything anymore! I still do! The Doc knows that, he's not silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twist.the.illusion)
    You're not supposed to drink alcohol with anything anymore! I still do! The Doc knows that, he's not silly.
    yes i still do sometimes too.
    so i guess there is nothing wrong with being on medication forever if it keeps you well and you can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    yes i still do sometimes too.
    so i guess there is nothing wrong with being on medication forever if it keeps you well and you can afford it.
    Apart from the side effects. Look up the side effects for your seroquel.

Just wondering how do you feel once your on them? Is it just calmer/ less worries? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 40mg Citalopram which was recently upped from 20mg. It helps a LOT with the anxiety and also depression. Keeps all evil thoughts away most of the time and i actually feel like a normal human being. Only thing i've found so far is it affects ur sex drive. Orgasm/ ejaculation is really hard to achieve and the semen prodcued is just water in my case. I also get REALLY VIVID dreams. They just feel so REAL it's insane!

(Original post by Silver Arrow)
    I'm on 40mg Citalopram which was recently upped from 20mg. It helps a LOT with the anxiety and also depression. Keeps all evil thoughts away most of the time and i actually feel like a normal human being. Only thing i've found so far is it affects ur sex drive. Orgasm/ ejaculation is really hard to achieve and the semen prodcued is just water in my case. I also get REALLY VIVID dreams. They just feel so REAL it's insane!
    Hello mate, regarding your sex drive: has it reduced since youve been on the pills? Also, before you took the pills, did you feel really low and depressed all day or was it just at night?

cheers,
    Rich

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_183)
    Hello mate, regarding your sex drive: has it reduced since youve been on the pills? Also, before you took the pills, did you feel really low and depressed all day or was it just at night?

cheers,
    Rich
    Hi Rich the sex drive has reduced since i've been on them. It's still there ofc because i'm male and 19 but it's noticeably decreased. Before i'd bget horny virtually everytime, but when i'm on them i don't get as horny as before and it dies down quickly.
    When i ejaculate it takes a lot of effort and it's not even that enjoyable. Before taking the pills, i felt really low during the day and ESPECIALLY at night. I can't even begin to decribe how **** i felt at night when i was in bed. I only started the pills because i'd seriously had enough and i felt like my head would explode.

One thing i've noticed is that gyming while on them helps. You just get a rush of endoprhins and you just feel UNBELIEAVBLY good. It's almost like being on some sort of illegal drug or sth.

(Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Hi Rich the sex drive has reduced since i've been on them. It's still there ofc because i'm male and 19 but it's noticeably decreased. Before i'd bget horny virtually everytime, but when i'm on them i don't get as horny as before and it dies down quickly.
    When i ejaculate it takes a lot of effort and it's not even that enjoyable. Before taking the pills, i felt really low during the day and ESPECIALLY at night. I can't even begin to decribe how **** i felt at night when i was in bed. I only started the pills because i'd seriously had enough and i felt like my head would explode.

One thing i've noticed is that gyming while on them helps. You just get a rush of endoprhins and you just feel UNBELIEAVBLY good. It's almost like being on some sort of illegal drug or sth.
    Okay, cheers for the info!! Tbh im happy to live with a lower sex drive if it means i feel better cos i feel ****ing low, especially at night!! Didn't really think anything of it but suicidal thoughts and general anxiety this past year has led me to think again maybe I should see my gp but I keep saying to myself to man up!! How long you been taking the pills? And are they free if your a student? Did the doc just prescribe them to you when you told him about how you were feeling?

ReputationRep:
    Me, I take Citalopram 60mg and Seroquel 50mg. I went a bit crazy with my obsession problems a while ago.
    I'm on Duloxetine. 3rd anti-depressant in 6 years but this one seems to be agreeing with me a bit more.

Psych. was going to put me on Quetiapine (Seroquel) but I wasn't happy about it so he gave me Duloxetine instead. Several people in my day treatment unit take it and I'm so glad I objected as they all have pretty major side effects!

How do you find it?

Not sure how long I'll be taking anti-depressants as I've been on/off them for several years and had several relapses. Could be that psychological intervention has a very positive effect and I won't need them any more - but I'm not holding my breath.

The pharmacist has been into our unit to explain the various types of medication and their effects. This was really helpful and informative and should definitely be more commonplace in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_183)
    Okay, cheers for the info!! Tbh im happy to live with a lower sex drive if it means i feel better cos i feel ****ing low, especially at night!! Didn't really think anything of it but suicidal thoughts and general anxiety this past year has led me to think again maybe I should see my gp but I keep saying to myself to man up!! How long you been taking the pills? And are they free if your a student? Did the doc just prescribe them to you when you told him about how you were feeling?
    Yes i'd live with a low sex drive if it meant i could keep my sanity. I've been on them since around October (20 mg) Foolioshly stopped just before Christmas and went back on them in January (20mg) stayed on that for 2 months and then got it increased to 40mg just recently. They're free cos i'm in uni. Doctor asked me if i'd kill myself by O'D ing on them if she gave me pills and i said no. When you start you'll feel bad for about a week. I remeber i just slept through a whole week and missed a LOT of lectures. You'll also feel dizzy and get brain zaps, plus nauseous and you'll throw up. After that you'll be fine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.