Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thread for those on anti depressants watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do you feel on them? I've never wanted to be put on them; I don't believe that medicine can make things "better". Medicine solves nothing (in my opinion).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asiko)
    How do you feel on them? I've never wanted to be put on them; I don't believe that medicine can make things "better". Medicine solves nothing (in my opinion).
    I'm on clomipramine and I feel great. It's completely cured me of what was pretty severe depression. However, that was the sixth or seventh one (I can't even remember any more ) I tried, and some of the others seriously made me feel like crap. So it's pot luck basically if they make you feel better or worse, from my experience I wouldn't recommend antidepressants (or antipsychotics or lithium) til you're out of other options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Apart from the side effects. Look up the side effects for your seroquel.
    i dont have any side effects from the seroquel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilshere)
    i dont have any side effects from the seroquel
    Good for you.

Long term it's been linked to causing diabetes and permanent structural brain changes amongst other things. ""

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Good for you.

Long term it's been linked to causing diabetes and permanent structural brain changes amongst other things. ""
    oh man ... you are really scaring me with this i didn't know ... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilshere)
    oh man ... you are really scaring me with this i didn't know ... :mad:
    Oh sorry, I read into your post wrong, I thought you were being a ****. Sorry. Er...yeah, just google it, there's loads of info on the side effects of these drugs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 60mg of fluoxetine daily and trust me.. DON'T STOP YOUR MEDS SUDDENLY NO MATTER HOW WELL YOU FEEL!

Last june i was so happily sedated with prozac (fluoxetine) that i actually believed that ocd and depression can be cured just like this. I stopped my meds and for a month i was actually good and acting normal and BAM the next i was crying everyday on my bed, thinking of ways to kill myself, how everything really seemed so bleak and I believe ultimately what all people on anti depressants are scared of is THAT feeling.. when nothing seem to matter and you just can't get that sinking feeling in your heart away. It totally sucks and i was hospitalised for a week and they increased my dosage to 60mg from 40mg and gave me lorezapam for that week in the hospital. Being mentally ill sucks, yeah i've got lots to share

ReputationRep:
    My doctor has tried to prescribe me with ADs a couple of times now, as I get very low, but I've been trying to resist them for a long time as I really don't want to have to rely on medication to get me through the day I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to though, I guess I thought it'd get better on its own

ReputationRep:
    I don't think meds can "cure" me. Only changing my way of thinking or something really positive can change things for me.

It worries me how quick doctors are to perscribe SSRI's these days, I have several friends who went through phases of feeling down or stressed because of school or uni and they were put straight onto citalopram without any thought of counselling/therapy. In some cases they are still taking meds because they become depressed when they stop taking them...it's a vicious cycle..:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It worries me how quick doctors are to perscribe SSRI's these days, I have several friends who went through phases of feeling down or stressed because of school or uni and they were put straight onto citalopram without any thought of counselling/therapy. In some cases they are still taking meds because they become depressed when they stop taking them...it's a vicious cycle..:/
    It's true anti-depressants are over prescribed and in mild cases talking therapies have an equal or better outcome.

Sometimes a pill is just about the only thing the doctor can give to you there and then. Any sort of counselling is likely to have a waiting list. Psychological therapies have even longer waiting lists.

At the moment I am unable to have a CPN due to the CMHT being overstretched. This is despite feeling I need one and my psychiatrist and several nurses telling me I need one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Your mum is wrong, I'm afraid. Plenty of people are on all sorts of medication for life - think of all the diabetic, hypertensive, hypothyroid etc patients out there.

As for anti-depressants, there is good evidence that staying on them for at least 6 months after you recover prevents relapses. If you have had recurrent episodes of depression/anxiety etc then the recommendation is to stay on them for two years after recovery. I know it seems like a long time but to all the people in here wanting to come off, please wait until you've discussed it with your doctor before doing so.
    Yeah , please speak to your doctor. I got so pissed off with my mum and dad nagging me about getting better and coming off I just stopped taking them, which I knew I shouldn't have done but did anyway and I ended up feeling worse than ever and went back on soon after.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 5mg Cipralex after continually resisting them since early 2008! Only allowed 5mg at the most, because of side effects - and only allowed to stay on them for one year maximum, but they seem to be OK so far *touch wood*..

I agree - they are qucick to prescribe - but I had been through two years with one GP, 18 months with another, a period of counselling with a nurse, a period of counselling with another nurse, a period of counselling at uni and then therapy at a pysch hospital - and none of it made much long term difference *shrugs*.. 20 years of issues and none of them likely to go anywhere anytime soon basically!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    I'm on 5mg Cipralex after continually resisting them since early 2008! Only allowed 5mg at the most, because of side effects - and only allowed to stay on them for one year maximum, but they seem to be OK so far *touch wood*..
    Oh, that's a very low dose. Do you have problems with your liver?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maturestudy)
    Oh, that's a very low dose. Do you have problems with your liver?
    No, they just seem to not want to put it any higher - only started a week ago, and because side effects were quite bad; very sleepy after taking them, very dizzy etc - and they said rather than risk side effects getting any worse, just to stick on 5mg for a few weeks.. I think 20mg is the highest anyone can go though - they said 5mg of cipralex is equal to like 40 of citalopram so..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    No, they just seem to not want to put it any higher - only started a week ago, and because side effects were quite bad; very sleepy after taking them, very dizzy etc - and they said rather than risk side effects getting any worse, just to stick on 5mg for a few weeks.. I think 20mg is the highest anyone can go though - they said 5mg of cipralex is equal to like 40 of citalopram so..
    I had some bad side effects too when I started on Duloxetine - very nauseas and sleepy - but these fortunately wore off after a few weeks. I hope yours do too.

ReputationRep:
    Fluoxetine was always a nightmare for me. Literally.

It made me have symptoms / exacerbated underlying symptoms and so I came off them. Best decision I made to be honest as I couldn't function with them so best choice was to work around them.

Of course I still have problems but at least I don't go around delusional...normally :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fascination)
    Fluoxetine was always a nightmare for me. Literally.

It made me have symptoms / exacerbated underlying symptoms and so I came off them. Best decision I made to be honest as I couldn't function with them so best choice was to work around them.

Of course I still have problems but at least I don't go around delusional...normally :')
    care to share your symptoms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    I started on fluoxetine yesterday. I don't feel anything yet, but then I don't think I'm meant to. I'm not looking forward to any potential side effects.
    I don't think I had any side-effects when I started on fluoxetine. But now I very quickly got to a point where it seemed like the drug wasn't working. But my doctor won't change my meds or increase them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkofaneye)
    care to share your symptoms?
    Drowsiness constantly.
    Vivid nightmares which I would then act out.
    Combine the last two and you get someone acting out nightmares during the day...on the bus if start to nod off.
    Restless leg syndrome.
    Cognitive difficulties

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.