Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently owed over £600 by this girl. Now she says she's going to pay me back when she has it. Now that's cool and everything, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I knew for sure I'd be getting my money. Is it possible to get a solicitor to draw up a contract for us both to sign that actually obligates her into paying me when she can? If so, how much would this cost? Not being a **** or anything, but I don't want her to run off with my cash.

ReputationRep:
    probably
    but for a large fee most likely

ReputationRep:
    LEarn a little bit of law and draw up your own? save money? ;D

ReputationRep:
    It'll cost around £600!

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a solicitor for this. Just draw one up yourselves and sign it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    You don't need a solicitor for this. Just draw one up yourselves and sign it!
    a worthless piece of paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    a worthless piece of paper!
    Hm no... It's perfectly possible to draw up a contract yourself and have it enforced in the courts if necessary.

By the way, a contract drawn up by a solicitor normally won't actually say "drafted by Joe Bloggs of Bloggs, Bloggsby and Bloggins LLP" on it. It will just state the OP and the girl as parties and be signed by them. So by looking at the contract/"piece of paper" you won't necessarily even know if it has been made by a solicitor or the parties themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Too late. You'd have had to get the contract written before you gave her the money. There's nothing a solicitor can do to ensure you get money back that isn't signed under a contract. In the eyes of the law, you gave it to her. End of.

Sorry

EDIT: Scrap that, read the original post wrong. You might be able to get one - but it will cost you all the money she owes you to do so. You'd be better off writing your own contract and getting the solicitor to sign it, that might only cost you £200

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.