Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mobile Suit Gundam Metaseries Discussion Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippin4242)
    I'm hoping to start on Victory soon - AJ passed it on to me, which is why I'd go with that rather than '79. Any comments? :3 Do people like that one?

Previously - and I can't believe there's an oldschool thing that I've seen more of than AJ, but then again, Aberanime's History of Mech was sort of my project - I've seen Wing, 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket and Turn A. I guess I'd probably say I thought War in the Pocket was the most enjoyable out of the four, though for the simple fact that Turn A is longer and more complex, I'd call myself more of a fan of that. Also, come on, Yoko Kanno, an upbeat theme, Little House on the Prarie stylings and oodles of crossdressing. I don't get why that one gets so little love. :P

- Pips
    Well ive not seen it myself but victory is at the end of UC whereas 0079 is the first and is damn good despite its age and the 70sness of it. (:banana2:) But I dont know if any of the previous series are required viewing to understand victory.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I really, really enjoyed the first episode when we showed it - it looked great, visually, and only the hairstyles really dated it! I just thought I should watch what I have before I filled up my harddrive again. :P I wasn't the one who provided 0079 for the screening (we had Mazinger Z, 0079, Patlabor, NGE, and TTGL, for the record. It was amazing how many people there hadn't even seen NGE).
    But yeah, a lot of what I've seen before is a bit stand-alone. It might be that I really need to know who's who if I watch Victory, then...

- Pips

ReputationRep:
    I really, really enjoyed the first episode when we showed it - it looked great, visually, and only the hairstyles really dated it! I just thought I should watch what I have before I filled up my harddrive again. :P I wasn't the one who provided 0079 for the screening (we had Mazinger Z, 0079, Patlabor, NGE, and TTGL, for the record. It was amazing how many people there hadn't even seen NGE).
    But yeah, a lot of what I've seen before is a bit stand-alone. It might be that I really need to know who's who if I watch Victory, then...

- Pips
    it does seem to take place like 80 years or so after the main UC series so you might be able to get away with it, But Id absolutely recommend watching the original anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Just found this (somewhat spoileriffic!) Zeta Gundam Video:shock:

So pretty :s: why didnt they reanimate all the scenes in the films like this.

ReputationRep:
    Really need to watch Gundam Unicorn, looks great

ReputationRep:
    But yeah, a lot of what I've seen before is a bit stand-alone. It might be that I really need to know who's who if I watch Victory, then..
    Well, Victory's completely detached, plotwise, from the rest of UC. So you don't really need to have seen anything else to watch it.

It has some wild mechanical designs (giant two-wheeled land battleships which turn towns into roadkill -- and those aren't the wildest designs!) and Uso does inventive stuff with the V Gundam's bits. Characters die off fast, frequently in arbitrary and cruel ways, and now and then they make headscratchingly odd decisions, which I won't spoil.

Victory's a very weird series and, while I enjoyed parts of it and am glad I watched it, it's not a show I want to watch again any time soon.

I can't tell you whether people in general like it. I know most denizens of /m/ don't seem to, but then /m/ dislikes most things.

ReputationRep:
    Ive really only scratched the surface having previously only seen wing and 00, but recently(ish) getting into UC. Really didnt think Id like the original as much as I did. Part of it was that the main characters were mostly all ordinary people thrown into a situation just trying to survive everyday.

ReputationRep:
    New gundam series coming in Autumn. http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...nime-this-fall

some magazine scans for it, no idea what it says :tongue:
    Spoiler:
    Show

From what Ive seen so far no one seems to have anything nice to say about it. :erm:

this shadow pic they released previously makes it seem more like a pokeymans :huff:

and those characters could well have appeared in pokeyman black/white :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's hideous. I mean, it would look fine in a kids show, but Gundam? Seriously?

I thought I didn't have an art bias, but... ick. That is the least Gundam thing I've ever seen.

- Pips

ReputationRep:
    Seems that this incarnation is going to be more of a kids friendly show going by early info. I will of course give it a whirl, but not particularly excited at the moment - will stick to Unicorn for my Gundam fix I think.

ReputationRep:
    Well I finished ZZ gundam ...it was not very good.:sad: It did show the whole war is hell side of gundam because the whole damn conflict was as pointless as the series.:dry: What a poor series for some of the better characters to die in.:hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    Watched Char's counterattack last night and wrote a review on it today.:sad: Well I guess that's it from the old cast unless...

Also just finished the first ep of Gundam Unicorn. It makes much more sense after watching everything before in UC.:giggle: I understood what they were talking about and recognised the units and the ship and the terms used. I also spotted the stuff on the board in the classroom about 0079.:proud: It was somewhat boring when I watched it last year and understood none of it, but now it kept my attention throughout and I liked it much more.:yep:

...The new zakuesque zeon grunt is just too obviously supposed to be a nazi with that helmet and the symbol on the side.:erm: With the older series you could see where the inspiration was from but it was never this glaringly obvious linke in this case or in alot of igloo. :erm:

EDIT:Watched the second ep which I really liked too. I noticed the references... "He's travelling at three times the speed of any other mobile suit!:zomg:" and the signs in the mine "Black three stars" and "Red Comet":awesome:

Full Frontal ...great character ..terrible name.:mmm:

ReputationRep:

:beard:Didnt think it looked too bad till the kid appeared.:erm: The character designs are a bit baby's first gundam.

Watched the third ep of Unicorn now. Ive noticed full frontal(:mmm:) doesnt wear a normal suit when piloting just like char didnt in early gundam.:beard: Such confidence in his abilities.:giggle: Wasnt that into this ep though, they spouted a load of stuff in the middle ...and then characters seemed to die pointlessly in unnecessary and avoidable ways.:eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    I don't like small gundams en mi opinion es mucha gundams are epic. They just shine with power and fear e.g. Epyon.

I think they should all come together and link the best ones in one way or another instead of making new ones all the time, some which are rubbish and hop onto the Gundam franchise name to make a it of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    Where can i also watch Gundam UC?

Don't fear for I shall give it some love
    The universal century timeline is the first and most developed one by far. Ive listed which series they consist of and what order you can watch them in, in the first post of this thread.:yep:

The original 1979 series is also on crunchyroll or on their official youtube channel. This would be better since there are far too many ads on crunchyroll.:indiff: But both are dubbed.
    I dont know if i could have watched it all with this kind of voice acting.:mmm:

But there are three compilation films for the original series which do a good job of condensing it all and have slightly improved animation.:tongue: They are Mobile Suit Gundam I, Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow, Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space. Despite it's age it's a great series and is essential viewing to understand the other UC series. (though maybe not the side stories such as 08th MS team/ War in the pocket/ Stardust memory) But the Universal century is one of the best anime universes there is.:coma: Something Id recommend to all gundam fans. There's a sense of realism to it all. No pretty young boys bending prison bars with their bare hands or exploding leos when nudged here.:tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    The universal century timeline is the first and most developed one by far. Ive listed which series they consist of and what order you can watch them in, in the first post of this thread.:yep:

The original 1979 series is also on crunchyroll or on their official youtube channel. This would be better since there are far too many ads on crunchyroll.:indiff: But both are dubbed.
    I dont know if i could have watched it all with this kind of voice acting.:mmm:

But there are three compilation films for the original series which do a good job of condensing it all and have slightly improved animation.:tongue: They are Mobile Suit Gundam I, Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow, Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space. Despite it's age it's a great series and is essential viewing to understand the other UC series. (though maybe not the side stories such as 08th MS team/ War in the pocket/ Stardust memory) But the Universal century is one of the best anime universes there is.:coma: Something Id recommend to all gundam fans. There's a sense of realism to it all. No pretty young boys bending prison bars with their bare hands or exploding leos when nudged here.:tongue:

I see after reading this all I will definitely watch it. That's another added to my list :awesome:
    Where I live nodboy likes anime or has even heard of Gundam :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Gundam wing should re-air on the tv channels here isntead of stupid new shows like 'Bakugan' or Hero101 or whatever it is. Kids these days haven't seen real TV

ReputationRep:
    "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin" manga is going to be animated next.:teeth:
    (Original post by http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/06/22-1/mobile-suit-gundam-the-origin-to-be-animated)
    Leaked pictures from the August issue of Gundam Ace, on sale 6/25, show it will be announcing that Mobile suit Gundam: The Origin will be animated, or more specifically, that the animation project has begun. Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin is a manga adaptation by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko of the original Mobile Suit Gundam anime. According to people who got a copy of the magazine early, Sunrise will be in charge of animation.

via Yaraon!
    Image ©Yoshikazu Yasuhiko / Kadokawa Shoten
    Going right back to the beginning of UC.:w00t: So this is going to be an anime adaptation of a manga adaptation of the original series.:giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Great to hear. When i go to waterstones next Monday I'll see what manga's they have there

ReputationRep:
    Started Seed.:erm: It's very colourful ...and kira doesnt seem very likable.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.