Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Weight gain watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so it's that time of year where a lot of females start trying to lose weight for the summer to get the "perfect" swim wear figure. For me it's the opposite way round....

I currently weigh 8st and my calculated BMI is 16.5, I am not at all happy with this. My ideal target is to put on 2 stones. Now all I need now is a weight gain plan.

I'd love to hear any suggestions about the ideal way to gain weight, for example, what kind of food to stick to, estimated calorie intake, what kind of exercise to take up.

Also if anyone has stuck to a particular plan recently or in the past, I'd like to hear more about how it went.

ReputationRep:
    1. Go onto google and find out your BMR
    2. Add 500 to this, and that's the number of calories you should aim to consume per day
    3. High protein foods

As for exercise it doesn't really matter, but if you burn 200 calories, then you're going to have to eat 200 calories worth of food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acapella_x)
    Okay so it's that time of year where a lot of females start trying to lose weight for the summer to get the "perfect" swim wear figure. For me it's the opposite way round....

I currently weigh 8st and my calculated BMI is 16.5, I am not at all happy with this. My ideal target is to put on 2 stones. Now all I need now is a weight gain plan.

I'd love to hear any suggestions about the ideal way to gain weight, for example, what kind of food to stick to, estimated calorie intake, what kind of exercise to take up.

Also if anyone has stuck to a particular plan recently or in the past, I'd like to hear more about how it went.
    Up the calorie intake by around 25%, but try stick to more protein and same amount of fat, if you went straight for fatty foods it would damage your body in others ways apart from just your desired weight gain. Switch to full fat milk though, its yummy!

ReputationRep:

Tell us about your current diet plan, be a lot easier to help you tweak it if we have something to work with!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkinFadeHaircut)
    1. Go onto google and find out your BMR
    2. Add 500 to this, and that's the number of calories you should aim to consume per day
    3. High protein foods

As for exercise it doesn't really matter, but if you burn 200 calories, then you're going to have to eat 200 calories worth of food

Okay so that's 1867.8 in total. Thank you very much.

(Original post by ----------)
    Up the calorie intake by around 25%, but try stick to more protein and same amount of fat, if you went straight for fatty foods it would damage your body in others ways apart from just your desired weight gain. Switch to full fat milk though, its yummy!
    Yes of course I don't want to over do it on fatty foods. However I've read trying 5-6 smaller meals per day is better then 3 large ones. I may be keen to try this.

(Original post by 11random)
    Tell us about your current diet plan, be a lot easier to help you tweak it if we have something to work with!
    I have only just made the decision to gain weight today, so every site I read tells me something different. I know this is bad but I don't eat breakfast, I haven't done so for years, so I know for sure this will have to change!

ReputationRep:
    Okay so that's 1867.8 in total. Thank you very much.

Yes of course I don't want to over do it on fatty foods. However I've read trying 5-6 smaller meals per day is better then 3 large ones. I may be keen to try this.

I have only just made the decision to gain weight today, so every site I read tells me something different. I know this is bad but I don't eat breakfast, I haven't done so for years, so I know for sure this will have to change!
    Acapella, Just make it 2000. And yes 5-6 meals a day is definitely better, get your carbs in the morning !

ReputationRep:
    Acapella, Just make it 2000. And yes 5-6 meals a day is definitely better, get your carbs in the morning !
    Will definitely try this! thank you. x

ReputationRep:
    Exercise is definitely going to make a big difference here, even though that may seem counter-intuitive! Try to do some form of resistance training as well as cardio, and eat plenty of protein. Gaining 2 stone of pure fat probably isn't what you want to do - you'll end up being what's known as "skinnyfat". You want to put on at least some muscle at the same time; hence the exercise and resistance training.

You should go for a higher calorie intake also. Somewhere around 2500 would be about right, given that you'll be burning off a fair bit through exercise. You have to eat an excess of ~3500 calories to gain 1 pound. That means you'll need to eat almost 100,000 more than you burn in order to gain 2 stone. 2000 per day simply isn't enough - it'll take you forever to gain 2 stone on that!

P.S. I'm jealous. I wish I were in a situation where I needed to gain 2 stone. :p: Good luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clayman)
    Exercise is definitely going to make a big difference here, even though that may seem counter-intuitive! Try to do some form of resistance training as well as cardio, and eat plenty of protein. Gaining 2 stone of pure fat probably isn't what you want to do - you'll end up being what's known as "skinnyfat". You want to put on at least some muscle at the same time; hence the exercise and resistance training.

You should go for a higher calorie intake also. Somewhere around 2500 would be about right, given that you'll be burning off a fair bit through exercise. You have to eat an excess of ~3500 calories to gain 1 pound. That means you'll need to eat almost 100,000 more than you burn in order to gain 2 stone. 2000 per day simply isn't enough - it'll take you forever to gain 2 stone on that!

P.S. I'm jealous. I wish I were in a situation where I needed to gain 2 stone. :p: Good luck anyway.
    Yes of course I don't want to be "skinnyfat" lol I have no visible muscles as it is. Swimming is out of the question though as I can't swim. So I'd most likely start on light exercises due to not being very athletic. I can't say that I'll exercise everyday as it will take me a while to get into routine.

I've now made some charts identifying what food to stick to, 2500+ does seem like a fair amount. I've never really took the time to read the labels on things I buy (yes I'm one of those people who just throws things into my trolley), and have seen the 'daily guideline' is 2000. So yes 2500+ is manageable.

ReputationRep:
    Ok all you need to do is consume as many calories as you need (posted above) then the following will help as well:

More Sleep. (this will help alot)
    Drink As much milk as you can (blue top), Consume as many dairy products as you can
    Protein i recommend fish, tuna or chicken, beef is really good too.
    Before and after excercise, consume as many carbs as possible, you must eat a meal 20 minutes after excercise maxx.

They are da main points, hope dat helped .

ReputationRep:
    And yes 5-6 meals a day is definitely better, get your carbs in the morning !
    On an isocalorific diet neither of those factors mentioned above will make any difference to her weight or health status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z-Ninja)
    Ok all you need to do is consume as many calories as you need (posted above) then the following will help as well:

More Sleep. (this will help alot)
    Drink As much milk as you can (blue top), Consume as many dairy products as you can
    Protein i recommend fish, tuna or chicken, beef is really good too.
    Before and after excercise, consume as many carbs as possible, you must eat a meal 20 minutes after excercise maxx.

They are da main points, hope dat helped .
    I always opt for blue top milk. I will also be eating more yoghurt's and cheese (not particularly keen on cheese but will opt for cheddar)

But yes I really do need to change my sleeping patterns.

ReputationRep:
    I always opt for blue top milk. I will also be eating more yoghurt's and cheese (not particularly keen on cheese but will opt for cheddar)

But yes I really do need to change my sleeping patterns.
    just sleep more minmum 8 hours never less than that, naps in the day could be helpfull too, and drink ALOT of milk!. Go for as many calories as you can and remember the carbs before excercise n stuff... yul be fine :cool: good luck!

ReputationRep:
    gain muscle not fat

ReputationRep:
    Its not overly complex to be honest.

Eat healthy balanced meals in excess of what you use both at rest and taking into account your exercise.

Training wise have a look at some good basic barbell routines, starting strength, macdows, Bill starrs 5 x 5 etc, just make sure you squat, deadlift and press each week getting progressively stronger.

PM me any specific questions if you want, also where about in london are you based? Is Wembley feasible to get too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    On an isocalorific diet neither of those factors mentioned above will make any difference to her weight or health status.
    Oh really, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Its not overly complex to be honest.

Eat healthy balanced meals in excess of what you use both at rest and taking into account your exercise.

Training wise have a look at some good basic barbell routines, starting strength, macdows, Bill starrs 5 x 5 etc, just make sure you squat, deadlift and press each week getting progressively stronger.

PM me any specific questions if you want, also where about in london are you based? Is Wembley feasible to get too?
    I live in South London in Waterloo so Wembley is a straight tube journey on the jubilee line. Why do you ask?

ReputationRep:
    I live in South London in Waterloo so Wembley is a straight tube journey on the jubilee line. Why do you ask?
    Wembley is where Genesis gym is, where several top strongmen and powerlifters train along with a female weightlifting team - ideal place to go for proper advice.

ReputationRep:
    have indian/chinese EVERYDAY!
    or you can slow down your metabolism significantly
    see here
    and here

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course I don't want to be "skinnyfat" lol I have no visible muscles as it is. Swimming is out of the question though as I can't swim. So I'd most likely start on light exercises due to not being very athletic. I can't say that I'll exercise everyday as it will take me a while to get into routine.

I've now made some charts identifying what food to stick to, 2500+ does seem like a fair amount. I've never really took the time to read the labels on things I buy (yes I'm one of those people who just throws things into my trolley), and have seen the 'daily guideline' is 2000. So yes 2500+ is manageable.
    You want a body that looks good in swimwear but you DON'T want to learn to swim? Haha...

Best way to gain weight is to tell all your mates you are going on a diet, fill your fridge full of vegetables, then spend the whole day thinking about chocolate before going out in the evening and getting a Dominos. Works for 80% of females so its worth a try.

On a more serious note, just continue eating when you feel full. Roast dinners are good because they're large by default no matter what your portion sizes are like, and delicious so one will keep eating no matter how sick they feel (especially at Christmas)... but because of all the veg and meat, roasts are quite high in vitamins, nutrients, protein and iron. Downside is, may be a bit expensive and if you still live with your family they might resent all that cooking haha!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.