Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ken Clarke making an arse of himself again... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...e-2260010.html

The (in)Justice Secretary Ken Clarke continues his legacy of bull****ting the general public and being generally confused about what the State's responsibilities should be in the public sphere.

Read the article and see how we are being fooled into thinking the prison service needs to be contracted out to private companies. This is the first prison that was previously in public ownership now being thrown to the dogs and going private; what a disgrace.

Prisoners are the State's responsibility; good to see Bent Ken continuing Labour's legacy of creating an income from criminals serving sentences. Isn't the UK sick?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh God. When I heard this stupid idea I really :facepalmed2:.

So many things wrong with it. Did't it badly backfire in the US?

And what happens to the prison officers? They said they would strike and rightly so.

ReputationRep:
    in all honesty, people don't give a **** whether prisons are public or private; so long as prisoners are in jail people don't care.

ReputationRep:
    And I thought Ken Clarke was a "nice" Tory. What must the rest be like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN)
    in all honesty, people don't give a **** whether prisons are public or private; so long as prisoners are in jail people don't care.
    People on the true left care; the trade unions care, you know... the unions representing the prison staff.

Also - I think you should care. We have corrupt MPs like Ken Clarke warning us he has 3000 members of the army on standby in the case of prison unrest. More alarmist bull**** from the Politburo. So now Ken is going to impose martial law; I'd like to see him try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    People on the true left care; the trade unions care, you know... the unions representing the prison staff.

Also - I think you should care. We have corrupt MPs like Ken Clarke warning us he has 3000 members of the army on standby in the case of prison unrest. More alarmist bull**** from the Politburo. So now Ken is going to impose martial law; I'd like to see him try.
    yes the general public don't care about whether they are public or private, only special interest groups care. as long as prison sentences are served, the prison conditions are same (or even worse); this really is a non-issue. I personally couldn't car less because i'm thinking about more pressing issues such fiscal policy and foreign policy which is what the country is really worried about at the moment. A shallow bureaucratic measure like the change in prison ownership is not on my radar.

ReputationRep:
    HEY LOOK it's that thing that's been going on for years and noones made any fuss about it. Suddenly the Tories are in power and WHAM IT'S A BIG ISSUE.

Ken Clarke is a fantastic MP. Almost certainly should've been leader of the Conservative party. there's no reason why the public needs direct control of prisoners, so long as they're effectively regulated. People forget that it's not the states responsibility to actually run a country, it's the states responsibility to ensure the country runs itself effectively. The people run the country. the Private secotr is The People.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not hugely keen on the idea of putting profit over rehabilitation.

Anyway about the article, I thought members of the Prison Service were not legally allowed to strike, like the police?

ReputationRep:
    Let them strike, sack them and replace them. Sounds like a relatively cushy job really.

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I'm not hugely keen on the idea of putting profit over rehabilitation.
    You might as well say that you don't like the idea of putting a government's re-election over rehabilitation. Unless you start having prisons entirely run by volunteers who care passionately about penal issues, it is always going to be run by people who want something. Money is a pretty good motivator.

ReputationRep:
    Ken Clarke is a vintage cretin. When is that dinosaur going to retire???

ReputationRep:
    As someone who's generally supportive of the current government, this is the first big thing that I strongly disapprove of.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, the Indie. A keystone in unskewed opinion on the Conservative Party.

ReputationRep:
    Ken Clarke has been in the pockets of big business for years so sadly this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

For anyone who says privatised prisons is no big deal I suggest they read up about the case in America where a judge was sending kids to juvenile prison because the prison was paying him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...e-2260010.html

The (in)Justice Secretary Ken Clarke continues his legacy of bull****ting the general public and being generally confused about what the State's responsibilities should be in the public sphere.

Read the article and see how we are being fooled into thinking the prison service needs to be contracted out to private companies. This is the first prison that was previously in public ownership now being thrown to the dogs and going private; what a disgrace.

Prisoners are the State's responsibility; good to see Bent Ken continuing Labour's legacy of creating an income from criminals serving sentences. Isn't the UK sick?
    I'm not a massive economic right-winger, but I don't see why privatizing a prison means the state isn't responsible. If the prison is badly run they can always nationalize it again. The point is that it's very expensive. It may well be run better.
    The state is still responsible legally, so if it's run badly they will take the blame ultimately, they can't just say look it's not our fault. If however, it could be shown that the private companies were somehow influencing judges, as has been suggested in the US then that would be a different thing altogether. But there's already 11 private prisons, and no suggestion of this yet.
    On the other hand, there is talk that in the US some private companies refuse to take on expensive prisoners, and this is outrageous. Furthermore, the evidence suggests the private prisons are being run less effectively than public prisons. If there were to be a privatization of prisons it should only be those which are failing, and the government should be stricter in the standards expected.
    I am worried that the company would have no incentive to focus resources on rehabilitation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Ken Clarke has been in the pockets of big business for years so sadly this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

For anyone who says privatised prisons is no big deal I suggest they read up about the case in America where a judge was sending kids to juvenile prison because the prison was paying him.
    How's that different from judges sending people to prison because they're prejudiced, you don't need to have private prisons to do that.
    As I understand it the regulations regarding who ought to be imprisoned will be stricter under these proposals, there will be less room for interpretation.
    That being said, I'm not convinced that privatization is a good idea as there's no incentive for a private company to focus resources on rehabilitation.

ReputationRep:
    Completely against the idea of privatising a prison. It's a complete disgrace and shouldn't be allowed to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveScott)
    HEY LOOK it's that thing that's been going on for years and noones made any fuss about it. Suddenly the Tories are in power and WHAM IT'S A BIG ISSUE.

Ken Clarke is a fantastic MP. Almost certainly should've been leader of the Conservative party. there's no reason why the public needs direct control of prisoners, so long as they're effectively regulated. People forget that it's not the states responsibility to actually run a country, it's the states responsibility to ensure the country runs itself effectively. The people run the country. the Private secotr is The People.
    That's true. However, the evidence suggests the private prisons are being run worse. The inference that they are being run worse because they are trying to cut costs- employing less staff and potentially less qualified staff would be one way to save money. The government haven't made any efforts to sort out these prisons, by for example giving the contracts to another company, or re-nationalizing the prisons.
    Some of these prisons are run by the same company that has taken over the Birmingham prison, so it's a bit worrying.

ReputationRep:
    More weakening of the state's tools of oppression
    More power to the people

When the prison officers are on low wages and demoralised they are hardly going to be that motivated about keeping the angry mob locked inside. What's going to happen when the government cuts policing numbers and loads of people start protesting about everything so they have to lock more people up, but the private companies can't cope, the prison officers go on strike, give the keys to the inmates and mwhahahaha the inmates run loose to take power from the government.

Lets hope the government still has an army to call on when they need to restore order? They might have made them all redundant by then!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.