Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    in my exam i got a very high B, 5 UMS marks off an A... i worked out i had around 25 points to scrape an A

then i did my coursework and got a VERY low B raw marks, one raw mark off a C actually. i don't know what the UMS marks will be for this.

is it still possible for me to get an a? i heard coursework is only 15%.

ReputationRep:
    if its ocr b, module 1 is 90/300, coursework is 60/300 and module 2 is 150/300

for an A you need 80% which is 240/300

do the math...

ReputationRep:
    You need 131/150 in your next exam to get an A (I think)

ReputationRep:
    Remember that your teacher can't know for sure what grade your coursework will be as the boundaries change a little each year. You could have a B, you could have a C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drummy)
    if its ocr b, module 1 is 90/300, coursework is 60/300 and module 2 is 150/300

for an A you need 80% which is 240/300

do the math...
    i cant because the c/w is in raw marks not UMS

(Original post by limetang)
    You need 131/150 in your next exam to get an A (I think)
    thanks, so it's still a possibility?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i cant because the c/w is in raw marks not UMS

thanks, so it's still a possibility?
    If its OCR B then for coursework UMS, just double the raw mark. Obviously it can be scaled up or down after that but its a decent estimate.

so you need 240 for an A

240 - (2 X CW raw mark) - (Jan Exam UMS) = how many you need out of 150 for an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie901)
    If its OCR B then for coursework UMS, just double the raw mark. Obviously it can be scaled up or down after that but its a decent estimate.

so you need 240 for an A

240 - (2 X CW raw mark) - (Jan Exam UMS) = how many you need out of 150 for an A
    but if i double my raw mark i get 64?

it is OCR B and the c/w is out of 40.. i got 32/40 which is a really low B, so guessing yould you say thats like 45 UMS marks?

ReputationRep:

it is OCR B and the c/w is out of 40.. i got 32/40 which is a really low B, so guessing yould you say thats like 45 UMS marks?
    Hmm, I'm not sure. It should be out of 60 UMS.

When I did it I got a mark out of 20 for the calibration task and a mark out of 10 for the presentation.

I got 25/30 for them both which was 50/60 UMS marks.

Have you done the presentation as well as the calibration task?

ReputationRep:

a B is exactly 70% of the UMS of that paper so in terms of UMS marks you're roughly on 42 or above UMS.

I'll take 42 UMS to be worst case scenario, so you have 240 - 67 - 42 which leaves you with 131 UMS to get in your next exam

I'd reccomend retaking unit 1 if you really need the A, as 5 UMS off an A is quite a lot in terms of UMS and if you can grab a high A now it's a lot less stress on A2 to preform well !

A grade in UMS for unit 1 was 72 and the B grade was 63 so you are actually closer to the B than you are to the A (albeit by a very small amount you're pretty much on the halfway mark between both)

Good luck and go get that A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil1541)
    a B is exactly 70% of the UMS of that paper so in terms of UMS marks you're roughly on 42 or above UMS.

I'll take 42 UMS to be worst case scenario, so you have 240 - 67 - 42 which leaves you with 131 UMS to get in your next exam

I'd reccomend retaking unit 1 if you really need the A, as 5 UMS off an A is quite a lot in terms of UMS and if you can grab a high A now it's a lot less stress on A2 to preform well !

A grade in UMS for unit 1 was 72 and the B grade was 63 so you are actually closer to the B than you are to the A (albeit by a very small amount you're pretty much on the halfway mark between both)

Good luck and go get that A
    thanks this makes sense, i got 69 UMS marks for unit 1, i can get up to 150 in unit 2 right? so i should be ok... thanks !! this was a kick up the bum, definitely need to work harder..

i can't retake it because i'm too late and i'm already retaking chemistry and biology (you can probably tell i didn't work hard enough )...
    physics is my least important so i'll be happy with a high B, at the end of the day i can always make it up to an A next year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 3, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.