Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And the following is just an account of CASES - never mind the appalling amount of statute conferred on Her Majesty's finest in the form of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act that gives our gestapo the powers to do whatever they want. The following documents how our police are just out of control and unbridled.

Apparantly it's self defence to thrash an innocent man who is already lying face down on the floor...Watch the video and see one of the agents of the police state making an arse of himself about the premeditated assault on the victim.The police beat up an innocent man, they then investigate themselves, and find that they did nothing wrong. What a ****** up country the UK is. The police are out of control, and proved they cannot be trusted on ANYTHING. The man is lying on the ground face down, but still the police are seen to punch the man in the head, that is not self defense, that is assault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1sq49awTCE

Only a year later, our rent-a-mob Red Terror agents go a step further and actually murder an innocent bystander at the G20 protests.

Then the corrupt police decided to detain and threaten with arrest an innocent bystander for filming them on her mobile phone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVFJQ-24Flw

Then they tried and failed to pioneer the 'eye in the sky' (also known as 'flying State oppression).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYzadh_uNtQ

We're constantly fed a stream of lies on a daily basis about the alleged 'terror threat.' Only on January was the terror threat raised to severe bull**** and the news stations showed interviews with the public generally not giving a **** and continuing their daily lives despite the corrupt government trying to terrify us into submission in order that we surrender even more of our freedoms so they can continue to spy on us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m82uuydjEk

ReputationRep:
    Shocking
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You may have had a point. But you lost all credibility using the word Gestapo.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aj12)
    This. Say no to sensationalist hyperbole

ReputationRep:
    Wow seriously, get some perspective.

So you don't think the police are as accountable as they ought to be? That's a legitimate viewpoint, but it doesn't make them 'the Gestapo'. Don't be so bloody ridiculous, it's insulting to the people who actually lived through those kind of regimes.

You come across like a decadent little gob****e.

ReputationRep:
    Someone's just watched V For Vendetta.

ReputationRep:
    Meanwhile hundreds of thousends of Police officers have no controversy whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    The police get criticised any way they do things.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like it, feel free to make use of one of the many UK international airports to make a one-way exit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    This.
    There is no justification comparing the police to the Gestapo or the Nazi's, period.

Secondly although there are a few bad apples in the police force, it is wrong to condemn and generalise the entire police force because of the minority of bad police officers.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the word gestapo serves as a warning to what might happen if this sort of conduct is allowed to continue unchecked, which seems to be the case as the media predictably censored any talk of police misconduct at Trafalgar square last week.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, remember Rodney King.
    Video footage of the LAPD beating him. The LAPD were aquitted of wrong doing and it caused a race riot.
    Then it turned out Rodney King had infact been speeding at two and half times the legal alcohol limit, refused to pull over, (getting caught would violate his parole for a robbery conviction). When the police finaly did catch him he refused to get out of the car, when he did he acted strange, giggling like a madman, attempted to fondle a female police officer, then resisted arrest and struck out at officers.

Morale of the story, video evidence proves didly squat if it doesn't show the whole story. The police in the fist video didn't know the man needed medical attention. It doesn't show what the man was doing in the run up to the incident. They acted as they were trained to do.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:

While I'd be the first to admit that the UK police have been known to be *******s on occasion they have never been known to take you from your home with know charge and shoot you in the head on the say so of the neighbour. Unlike the Gestapo

ReputationRep:
    So on the basis of the actions of less then 1% of a catergory of people you have labeled them all as such. What is it about people here who are surrounded by an amazing quality of life yet insist that they are fighting some sort of North Korea style oppression?!

Few people will excuse the actions of the examples you have given, and the use of anti-terrorism laws to crack down on minor crimes is bad and if left unchecked could evolve into something way more serious. However on the whole we have it great here. Police, despite a number of cases of corruption and incompetence, are a greater force against crime then many of their international counterparts. I say this as someone who has expirienced both sides of such incompetence, having seen a **** and sloppy response to being attacked with a weapon and being arrested for something laughable. Nonetheless I am pretty sure that as a victim and a suspect, I am likely to recieve a fairer treatment on the whole then I would in even say Spain or Italy.

I know its been said, but Gestapo? Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    So on the basis of the actions of less then 1% of a catergory of people you have labeled them all as such. What is it about people here who are surrounded by an amazing quality of life yet insist that they are fighting some sort of North Korea style oppression?!

Few people will excuse the actions of the examples you have given, and the use of anti-terrorism laws to crack down on minor crimes is bad and if left unchecked could evolve into something way more serious. However on the whole we have it great here. Police, despite a number of cases of corruption and incompetence, are a greater force against crime then many of their international counterparts. I say this as someone who has expirienced both sides of such incompetence, having seen a **** and sloppy response to being attacked with a weapon and being arrested for something laughable. Nonetheless I am pretty sure that as a victim and a suspect, I am likely to recieve a fairer treatment on the whole then I would in even say Spain or Italy.

I know its been said, but Gestapo? Really?
    You're exactly the kind of person that needs to be educated about just how out of control our glorified thugs (apparently our police) are. I'm not just talking about a small minority of particularly nasty agents of state terror - I'm also thinking about the amount of statute conferred on them.

We have something like the Police and Criminal Evidence Act, an embarrassing mess of complicated provisions and exceptions that give police powers way beyond that in any other liberal Western democracy. Parliament obviously intended to scare us into sacrificing more of our freedoms and liberties when they drafted this piece of **** statute.

During New Labour's tenure (of creating our police state and culture of oppression) apparently Parliament intended to endow the rent-a-mob with powers that contradict the most basic principles of the common law.

If the rent-a-mob aren't playing with their new toys (click this link for one of the most disturbing developments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ANaS79bEo - so the police are going to machine-gunning down innocent citizens now...) then they're abusing statutory powers.

One of the most idiotic 'safeguards' is the (In)dependent Police Complaints Commission - where the police investigate themselves over alleged wrongdoing and then announce there was no wrongdoing - this is the kind of sick oppressive and fear mongering culture that has been impressed upon us.

ReputationRep:
    It's just the tip of the iceberg. I would hardly use the word 'gestapo', but I do think we are politically complacent about our supposed freedom-

About -

Maintaining it,

and

Seeing it as a false friend(after defeating the nazis, liberation from fascism etc)and being blind to other more subtle yet potent forms of control, and corruption and that's dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    You're exactly the kind of person that needs to be educated about just how out of control our glorified thugs (apparently our police) are. I'm not just talking about a small minority of particularly nasty agents of state terror - I'm also thinking about the amount of statute conferred on them.

We have something like the Police and Criminal Evidence Act, an embarrassing mess of complicated provisions and exceptions that give police powers way beyond that in any other liberal Western democracy. Parliament obviously intended to scare us into sacrificing more of our freedoms and liberties when they drafted this piece of **** statute.

During New Labour's tenure (of creating our police state and culture of oppression) apparently Parliament intended to endow the rent-a-mob with powers that contradict the most basic principles of the common law.

If the rent-a-mob aren't playing with their new toys (click this link for one of the most disturbing developments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ANaS79bEo - so the police are going to machine-gunning down innocent citizens now...) then they're abusing statutory powers.

One of the most idiotic 'safeguards' is the (In)dependent Police Complaints Commission - where the police investigate themselves over alleged wrongdoing and then announce there was no wrongdoing - this is the kind of sick oppressive and fear mongering culture that has been impressed upon us.
    Are you a troll are are you one of these students that have led a relatively sheltered life and having opened your door slightly to the outside world, you want to fill that "boring" void of relative stabillity with the idea that some sort of Stalinist regime is setting itself up under our very eyes.

I am familliar with PACE and also have found it useful when some dickweed PC has tried to stop and search me for nothing. In fact I believe, whilst it inevtiabely has its shortcomings, the codes have a reasonable balance of preventing the sort of intrusive and unjustified behaviour of Police that led to the inner city riots of the early 80s as well as enough to detain people who potentially are about to or have committed a crime. I also know from expirience that Code C is not always completely adherred to and some policeman have a very primitive view of the world around them as well as an air of incometence and arrogance. Now I daresay I have suffered at the hands of the police even more so then you have.

Despite this, I have also bothered to go to other countries and seen first hand the police abuse that takes place in states that are heralded as members of the developed world and given centre stage on conferences om democracy and human rights. I dont think I will ever witness in England the scene that I saw in Italy whereby a policeman, clearly revelling in the fear he was creating and the power that he was enjoying, pointing a hand gun in a clearly frightened and confused Japanese student's face.

That link clearly explains the context of when such weapons would be used which goes against your whole sensationalist rhetoric that includes the claim that protesters will be mowed down. I may not buy into this whole idea that our parliamentary democracy is some unfaultable system whilst holding it in some sort of divine state, but it does however prevent such a system which you describe as our present from ever really taking hold.

A better example would have been 07/08 when armed police were sent to patrol some of the most dangerous estates in the country. However this wasnt some sort of showcase designed to scare a shivering population into submission, rather the populist pandering to a nation gripped with media-exagerated inspired fear of gun crime.

I agree with you on the IPCC, it does shield those rare criminals that abuse their power in the police force and this needs to be tackled.

Overall I find it highly patronising that someone whose expirience of "police abuse" probably is confined to being pushed and maybe slapped to over excited, if not a little frightened policeman trying to contain the student protests, would then accuse me of not being educated in such matters. Here is a man who is supposedly studying at one of Londons better uni's yet he believes that we are living in some sort of oppressive state. Have you ever left this country or talked to someone abroad? We have it so good here and a couple of stupid and prickish policeman who resort to unjustifiable behaviour and give their whole profession a bad name are not going to change that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Overall I find it highly patronising that someone whose expirience of "police abuse" probably is confined to being pushed and maybe slapped to over excited, if not a little frightened policeman trying to contain the student protests, would then accuse me of not being educated in such matters. Here is a man who is supposedly studying at one of Londons better uni's yet he believes that we are living in some sort of oppressive state. Have you ever left this country or talked to someone abroad? We have it so good here and a couple of stupid and prickish policeman who resort to unjustifiable behaviour and give their whole profession a bad name are not going to change that!
    Sorry but studying in London has opened my eyes to how we are living in an Orwellian society of state oppression. I was kettled in the winter protests and it was the most degrading thing for me to go through; I can say I have been a political prisoner, trapped by the police for exercising my freedom of expression rights guaranteed by these so called Treaties that seem all nice and idealistic when the bureaucrats are drafting them, but in practice the police just piss all over them.

I've also travelled a lot - at least in countries like India and Pakistan the worst the police do is accept bribes - they don't fantasise about using machine guns and CCTV helicopters. Why? Because they have the intrinsic morality to stay clear of spying on their own citizens.

I would reccommend to anyone concerned about the continuous erosion of your civil liberties (where in 2011 it seems you can't even walk around in central London without being sucked into a police kettle and forcibly detained without access to food or water for seven hours) to join the SWP and unite against the fascist new order.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    Sorry but studying in London has opened my eyes to how we are living in an Orwellian society of state oppression. I was kettled in the winter protests and it was the most degrading thing for me to go through; I can say I have been a political prisoner, trapped by the police for exercising my freedom of expression rights guaranteed by these so called Treaties that seem all nice and idealistic when the bureaucrats are drafting them, but in practice the police just piss all over them.

I've also travelled a lot - at least in countries like India and Pakistan the worst the police do is accept bribes - they don't fantasise about using machine guns and CCTV helicopters. Why? Because they have the intrinsic morality to stay clear of spying on their own citizens.

I would reccommend to anyone concerned about the continuous erosion of your civil liberties (where in 2011 it seems you can't even walk around in central London without being sucked into a police kettle and forcibly detained without access to food or water for seven hours) to join the SWP and unite against the fascist new order.
    The worst the Police do in India and Pakistan is take bribes? Bad dodge source but frankly you don't really deserve much better. http://www.islamicfocus.co.za/index....=138&Itemid=34

To be frank you sound like a little ***** who just read 1984 and thinks she lives in some insane police state. If this is such a police state why are you allowed to spout your idiocy on to the internet?

I find it hard to believe you have traveled anywhere such is your ignorance.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.