Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Dey)
    Wouldn't drugs harm the user? So therefore it is harming someone right?
    Well, as I have pointed out, it shouldn't matter as long as nobody else is harmed by your actions.

Everybody should have the right to do as they wish in that regard, because to do otherwise is to invite further restrictions on personal freedom. After all, fried food is surely more dangerous than weed, so it should be banned, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wucker)
    Well, as I have pointed out, it shouldn't matter as long as nobody else is harmed by your actions.

Everybody should have the right to do as they wish in that regard, because to do otherwise is to invite further restrictions on personal freedom. After all, fried food is surely more dangerous than weed, so it should be banned, right?
    Yeah fried food can have consequences, but it's not as much as weed. OK, obesity is a widespread problem in the world (America is a good example) but imagine if that was weed instead?

And, weed is can harm others around you, here are some reasons why:
    * The smell of weed is very strong.
    * Your actions can endanger others around you.
    * You could be a dealer, so you are harming others, other than yourself.

That's just one of the reasons why it's banned...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Dey)
    Yeah fried food can have consequences, but it's not as much as weed. OK, obesity is a widespread problem in the world (America is a good example) but imagine if that was weed instead?

And, weed is can harm others around you, here are some reasons why:
    * The smell of weed is very strong.
    * Your actions can endanger others around you.
    * You could be a dealer, so you are harming others, other than yourself.

That's just one of the reasons why it's banned...
    The bizarre thing is, you actually believe this.

Firstly, the smell of weed is irrelevant. I find it hilarious you actually think that is a valid point.

Secondly, this is incredibly vague, and could be said of other legal things, such as alcohol.

Finally, weed "dealing" is the direct result of weed's illegality. If it was legal, you could buy it in a store, simple.

Glad you enjoy regulating people's lives for no reason at all...

ReputationRep:
    Wucker, are you on drugs? I am being serious. Then again you're from america. You all have ****ed up views there.

Wucker, go and explain that all drugs should be legal to parents that have lost there children to drugs. You really are so deluded it's unbelievable. You actually believe the crap that comes out of your mouth.

ReputationRep:
    Sell weed? What and have a society just like America, which is plagued with mental health problems. Good one wucker.

ReputationRep:
    This is, in my opinion, the trickiest issue for a social libertarian - especially since I live in America, haha. The difference with guns, I think, is that they do, in fact, have the unique capacity to harm other people. Countries need to strike a balance between the liberty to defend oneself and the right to live without fear of harm.

Why not? Why shouldn't people capable of making their own decisions (ie adults) be allowed to do so?

Also, heroin is much more harmful to the individual when it is illegal. The supply is not regulated, so there is no way to control the dosage or to make sure it is pure. In addition, drug violence directly stems from illegality.
    Simply because certain (adults 18+) aren't really adults, they are still kids inside and are too immature, and drugs may in your eyes, (only effect the user) but two friends of mine, one of whom I was very close to, have committed suicide, both of which took drugs, one was a very heavy drug abuser as well. In the long run this then effected me, their other friends, their relatives... drugs cause long term problems you've obviously never even thought of. Say drugs were legal, and someone over dosed so badly they tripped out, walking down the street? It would increase crime badly, more people would start taking drugs because they'd think "it's legal, it's okay" therefore children would not be 'warned off drugs' at school and they would also be introduced to it at a younger age and it would be so much easier to get hold of, especially if you were able to buy it over the counter. More people taking drugs - More people tripping/being effected - More crime, eg: Murder, Shop lifting, Breaking and entering, Rape... I know all of these things happen anyway, but legal drugs would increase the risk.

ReputationRep:
    people now a days are like wild animals. unless controlled with iron fist they go off the rail. their was a time when non of the things you mentioned was not banned but the society was more peaceful than this.

how can you be angry of banning of drugs, when parents these days do drugs in front of their children and put them at risk?

wasn't there a woman who was doing drugs at a party in front of her of her child. the child smoked what the mother was smoking and the child died!??

i don't remember the full story, but there are very irresponsible people these days and the law has no choice to restricts the general population's lives just because of these few idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason2)
    Wucker, are you on drugs? I am being serious. Then again you're from america. You all have ****ed up views there.

Wucker, go and explain that all drugs should be legal to parents that have lost there children to drugs. You really are so deluded it's unbelievable. You actually believe the crap that comes out of your mouth.
    Just because I do not agree with you does not mean my mind has been altered chemically. The most obvious counterpoint to the parents argument is that you could ask the same of parents who have lost their children to alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, and other alcohol related accidents. Believe me, there are plenty more of those, and yet it is still legal.

Sell weed? What and have a society just like America, which is plagued with mental health problems. Good one wucker.
    The best way to point out the absurdity of your post who be to say that if you substituted America for Nigeria then you would be considered a deluded bigot.

(Original post by Vikki1805)
    Simply because certain (adults 18+) aren't really adults, they are still kids inside and are too immature, and drugs may in your eyes, (only effect the user) but two friends of mine, one of whom I was very close to, have committed suicide, both of which took drugs, one was a very heavy drug abuser as well. In the long run this then effected me, their other friends, their relatives... drugs cause long term problems you've obviously never even thought of. Say drugs were legal, and someone over dosed so badly they tripped out, walking down the street? It would increase crime badly, more people would start taking drugs because they'd think "it's legal, it's okay" therefore children would not be 'warned off drugs' at school and they would also be introduced to it at a younger age and it would be so much easier to get hold of, especially if you were able to buy it over the counter. More people taking drugs - More people tripping/being effected - More crime, eg: Murder, Shop lifting, Breaking and entering, Rape... I know all of these things happen anyway, but legal drugs would increase the risk.
    Notice how drugs are illegal, and your friends still died from them? Consider for a moment what might have happened if they had felt comfortable and able, in fact, to seek counseling for their drug problems. Think what would have happened if they had been given safe, regulated, products. Also, think about whether their issue had to do with drugs or had to do with inherent mental problems. Do you think that the drugs caused them to kill themselves or do you think they merely served as the means, as a gun could, or as jumping off a cliff could?

There is no evidence to say that making drugs legal would increase usage, the only country that has come even close to that, Portugal (which decriminalized all drug use), has seen significant reductions in usage.

I would argue, in fact, that the crime surrounding drugs doesn't stem from the drugs but from their illegality. What would be the motive to settle drug disputes violently if it could be settled in the courts? What would be the motive to kill and rob for drugs when they are legitimate products? After all, nobody kills for cigarettes, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golly-Gosh)
    people now a days are like wild animals. unless controlled with iron fist they go off the rail. their was a time when non of the things you mentioned was not banned but the society was more peaceful than this.

how can you be angry of banning of drugs, when parents these days do drugs in front of their children and put them at risk?

wasn't there a woman who was doing drugs at a party in front of her of her child. the child smoked what the mother was smoking and the child died!??

i don't remember the full story, but there are very irresponsible people these days and the law has no choice to restricts the general population's lives just because of these few idiots.
    You undermine your point by demonstrating that, even though they are illegal, people still use and abuse them.

I think that legality, and increased education, would result in safer and more responsible use. Keeping them illegal actually exacerbates the problem.

I don't see why you have the moral authority to determine what lifestyle choices should and shouldn't be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Just because I do not agree with you does not mean my mind has been altered chemically. The most obvious counterpoint to the parents argument is that you could ask the same of parents who have lost their children to alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, and other alcohol related accidents. Believe me, there are plenty more of those, and yet it is still legal.

The best way to point out the absurdity of your post who be to say that if you substituted America for Nigeria then you would be considered a deluded bigot.

Notice how drugs are illegal, and your friends still died from them? Consider for a moment what might have happened if they had felt comfortable and able, in fact, to seek counseling for their drug problems. Think what would have happened if they had been given safe, regulated, products. Also, think about whether their issue had to do with drugs or had to do with inherent mental problems. Do you think that the drugs caused them to kill themselves or do you think they merely served as the means, as a gun could, or as jumping off a cliff could?

There is no evidence to say that making drugs legal would increase usage, the only country that has come even close to that, Portugal (which decriminalized all drug use), has seen significant reductions in usage.

I would argue, in fact, that the crime surrounding drugs doesn't stem from the drugs but from their illegality. What would be the motive to settle drug disputes violently if it could be settled in the courts? What would be the motive to kill and rob for drugs when they are legitimate products? After all, nobody kills for cigarettes, right?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think drugs caused my friends suicide, but I think they helped towards it. Most of my friends who take drugs are depressed/severely unhappy, now whether they already were, and that's why they take drugs, or if it's the drugs that have caused that, I don't know!

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think drugs caused my friends suicide, but I think they helped towards it. Most of my friends who take drugs are depressed/severely unhappy, now whether they already were, and that's why they take drugs, or if it's the drugs that have caused that, I don't know!
    Precisely. Isn't it a bit arrogant to base government policy off vague ideas of what is and isn't morally right? At the end of the day, despite the government's efforts, your friends were still able to obtain drugs and to kill themselves. Wouldn't it be better to bring these issues out into the open, and to let people make their own life choices, while at the same time giving them adequate education?

ReputationRep:
    Precisely. Isn't it a bit arrogant to base government policy off vague ideas of what is and isn't morally right? At the end of the day, despite the government's efforts, your friends were still able to obtain drugs and to kill themselves. Wouldn't it be better to bring these issues out into the open, and to let people make their own life choices, while at the same time giving them adequate education?
    I think if drugs were legal, people would be less afraid of them, and I personally think people need to be afraid of drugs, to be scared away from them!

ReputationRep:
    I think if drugs were legal, people would be less afraid of them, and I personally think people need to be afraid of drugs, to be scared away from them!
    Why do you think less people smoke now that an any time in the last 50 years?

It isn't because it is illegal, but because of a concerted public campaign to highlight its dangers. At the same time, drug use has gone up, so our current policy clearly isn't working in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    We need to ban heroin-addicted, homophobic, gay flying monkeys that have come here illegally from West Anglia and are stealing our jobs, and have caused an economic meltdown. They are corrupting to youths of our country. THOSE DAMNED MONKEYS!!!

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think less people smoke now that an any time in the last 50 years?

It isn't because it is illegal, but because of a concerted public campaign to highlight its dangers. At the same time, drug use has gone up, so our current policy clearly isn't working in that regard.
    Honestly? I don't think either way it'll make a difference. I smoke and I'd do it if it were legal, or illegal. If someone has the mind set, and is involved in that sort of atmosphere, that they want to take drugs, they will, legal or not.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? I don't think either way it'll make a difference. I smoke and I'd do it if it were legal, or illegal. If someone has the mind set, and is involved in that sort of atmosphere, that they want to take drugs, they will, legal or not.
    Exactly! Illegality simply punishes people unnecessarily.

I know it is counter intuitive, but when one actually considers the problems that stem from illegality, compared to the consequences of legality, it becomes clear that the current state of affairs is unsustainable.

ReputationRep:
    Wucker - legalizing drugs would not reduce drug use. People who take drugs know the dangers - why should the rest of society mother them? In fact you'll find that people who take drugs have underlying issues. Mainly depression, in which I'm sure you know mental health is still a stigma in our society. And there lies our problem. We treat the symptoms and not the cause.

ReputationRep:
    Wucker - legalizing drugs would not reduce drug use. People who take drugs know the dangers - why should the rest of society mother them? In fact you'll find that people who take drugs have underlying issues. Mainly depression, in which I'm sure you know mental health is still a stigma in our society. And there lies our problem. We treat the symptoms and not the cause.
    I would think that legalizing drug use is the polar opposite of "mothering" people, it is treating them as adults and giving them responsibility for their own actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic_armadillo7)
    We need to ban heroin-addicted, homophobic, gay flying monkeys that have come here illegally from West Anglia and are stealing our jobs.
    Oh my....

ReputationRep:
    Wucker - it is mothering and I'll tell you why. Leglizing drugs would see a sharp increase in mental health problems, thus more people using mental health facilities all at the taxpayers expense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.