Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason2)
    Wucker - it is mothering and I'll tell you why. Leglizing drugs would see a sharp increase in mental health problems, thus more people using mental health facilities all at the taxpayers expense.
    In your first post, you claim that people take drugs because they are mentally ill, and now you claim that drugs cause mental illness.

Ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    +1 OP, what's your opinion on guns?
    What is wrong with relaxing gun laws? maybe criminals will have them but so will normal innocent people - and criminals will think twice before robbing a house knowing there might be a gun in there.

Consider this: (from pen and teller)

Every female in England gets a pistol - and let us assume half of them do not want to keep it, but sell it...etc

Now a rapist will think twice (literally) before he assaults a woman, because he has 50:50 chance of being at the wrong end of a gun... now this example is not to be taken literally, but just given to illustrate the idea of a criminal "thinking twice"

We can also look at how the UK has one of the world's strictest gun laws in the world, yet crime rate here is one of the highest...

I do not however want to see said laws relaxed; I think doing so will make people, the vast majority of people that is, worried and panicy... this is because we have had these laws for a VERY long time and we are very well adapted to them, and allowing people to carry guns will just make things uncomfortable.

Strict gun laws =/= safer streets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    What is wrong with relaxing gun laws? maybe criminals will have them but so will normal innocent people - and criminals will think twice before robbing a house knowing there might be a gun in there.

Every female in England gets a pistol - and let us assume half of them do not want to keep it, but sell it...etc

Now a rapist will think twice (literally) before he assaults a woman, because he has 50:50 chance of being at the wrong end of a gun... now this example is not to be taken literally, but just given to illustrate the idea of a criminal "thinking twice"

We can also look at how the UK has one of the world's strictest gun laws in the world, yet crime rate here is one of the highest...

I do not however want to see said laws relaxed; I think doing so will make people, the vast majority of people that is, worried and panicy... this is because we have had these laws for a VERY long time and we are very well adapted to them, and allowing people to carry guns will just make things uncomfortable.

It doesn't really work so well here in America. It is very easy to get a gun and we have the highest murder rates in the industrialized world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)

Nothing, I am a supporter of gun law liberalisation.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of agree, but it's not necessarily as definitive as 'it's their life and their choice' :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'm not saying that the government makes a perfect judge, exactly. But I think that often, they can make a better judge than individuals themselves.

I don't really understand this. What problem would it be adding to?

True; but even if children are depedent on their parents, you could still use the same argument. What if the parent has consented to allowing their child to behave a certain way? What if a particular parent says "I want to raise my eight year old child as a prostitute"? If it has been approved by the parent that the child is dependent upon. You could once again ask: who are we to make the call that this is a stupid way to bring up a child, rather than a valid "lifestyle choice"?

In such a case, the reason we might protest against such a decision is because we think the parent is just as incapable of making decisions as the child - otherwise they wouldn't be making such decisions. The same goes for adults who make certain decisions about their own lives; we might think that, like many children, they too are incapable of reasoned decision making. What if an adult decides to take heroin without even knowing fully what its effects are?

Aside from children, there are many adults who are clearly not the best decision-makers. Some adults might be considered "mentally handicapped", and are never allowed to make their own decisions. But how do we decide which adults are capable of making their own decisions and which ones aren't? Well, we examine the decisions that they are making. Ultimately, someone has to step in and say "Your decision making skills aren't good enough".
    legal consent is most certainly a grey area where we would be debating the mentality of the incompetent to the perceived competent. So yes technically a intelligent child should have the same level of consent as a adult in voting and of course purchase of currently mature items.

Unless we of course decide on this irrational statistic which has been obtained by our paternal perceptions that children=stupid and adults=intelligent hence only adults should be allowed to use mature items.(as society currently does)

Of course this does create anarchy which is deemed to be negative as children under rationality may be allowed to have sex as is currently seen being taboo and purchase alcohols and such, however under this anarchic structure we can only assume they won't do so by hopes of the parents being rational(which often distinguishes a liberal view from a conservative who would often think humans to be equally irrational).

Perhaps instead of forcing them not do consume/act on these derogatory activities we should perhaps strongly punish those who commit harm, even more so than currently as they would be more responsible and those who wish to destroy themselves under the influence of drugs would receive no help from the government in financing, familial issues will be dealt with by assuming harm when parent does not take care of children in utmost efficiency by perhaps allowing the poisons to take her over(which would be dealt with by government issued parents). And thereby forming responsible parents who will allow the liberal framework to maintain yet allow children to be responsible and not succumb to the liberties of drugs, sex etc.

However this would of course be a surreal Utopia.

ReputationRep:
    You should be a philosophy major so you can research John Stuart Mill's Harm Principle :yep: It would suit you.

Edit: by major I mean... um... the course of study that one pursues (I'm not sure what the English equivalent is)

ReputationRep:
    We NEED to ban posts on bans...

ReputationRep:
    qq

ReputationRep:
    All things should be legal.

I don't see why Cameron should say what I eat, drink, smoke, or say. Freedom of expression should be total, gun ownership should be fully legal, and all drugs should be legally permissable.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.