Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scared myself to death looking at symptoms online. *MENTIONS BOWL MOVEMENTS* UPDATE! Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is kind of embarrassing but I can't be bothered for moderators to give me the ok to post this so **** being anonymous.

I'm scared to death. The past couple of hours i've noticed that when i'm going to the toilet to pass stools that they contain blood. Also, i'm getting a thick bloody yellow discharge from my rectum which doesn't smell at all pleasant. I can't get to a doctor for at least another week - I know i'm going to worry myself silly until I do get to one.

So I decided to look up my symptoms online.......

If the bleeding is dark red, or in clots, or mixed with a lot of slime, or mixed in with the faeces, it could be a more serious condition (such as colitis, diverticular disease or cancer of the rectum or colon) that needs prompt treatment.
    Seriously, i've totally freaked myself out. Has anyone had this before? It only started a few hours ago. I'm literally pulling my hair out!

I've already booked my train tickets home for monday, they aren't refundable, I don't know whether or not I should forget them and get to a doctor this week or what. What would you do? I guess its common sense that I should go see a doctor, but I can't afford any more train tickets

EDIT: Typo in the title! I meant BOWEL

UPDATE
    So after handing samples in to the hospital and the them refusing to do it because they were referred by a GP :rolleyes: the doctor has decided to refer me for a Colonoscopy. How delightful! Again i'm hoping its nothing serious but if anyone has any experience of this procedure could they let me know what to expect/how it was for them please? I have done a bit of research online but thought it couldn't hurt to ask you folk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    This is kind of embarrassing but I can't be bothered for moderators to give me the ok to post this so **** being anonymous.

I'm scared to death. The past couple of hours i've noticed that when i'm going to the toilet to pass stools that they contain blood. Also, i'm getting a thick bloody yellow discharge from my rectum which doesn't smell at all pleasant. I can't get to a doctor for at least another week - I know i'm going to worry myself silly until I do get to one.

Seriously, i've totally freaked myself out. Has anyone had this before? It only started a few hours ago. I'm literally pulling my hair out!

I've already booked my train tickets home for monday, they aren't refundable, I don't know whether or not I should forget them and get to a doctor this week or what. What would you do? I guess its common sense that I should go see a doctor, but I can't afford any more train tickets

Hey, let's hope all is good. If you are really worried why don't you contact your local hospital where you ate staying. Also, internet can be very misleading, so let's hope its not anything serious.

ReputationRep:

I'd go and see a doctor. It's likely to be nothing so extreme, but the stress of thinking you've got all kind of nasties isn't likely to make you feel better at all. If you get too wound up, you might risk being too ill to travel from the stress. It depends on how much your train tickets cost, of course, and whether you can stay where you are for a bit, but unless they were extortionate (which being train tickets they probably are ) I'd say the stress and anxiety is worse than loosing some cash. Also consider that if you do go to the doctors, first thing they're probably gonna do is request a stool sample and run tests. The sooner you get moving on that, the faster you'll be put at ease.

Now, my attempt to reassure: Colorectal cancer is far more common in older people than young adults. Additionally, risk increases in the case of people who've had polyps etc. and IBD. I'm assuming this isn't true of you. I'd say it is VERY unlikely you have cancer. Diverticulitis is again, unlikely at a young age, unless your diet is particularly horrendous (no fibre) and tbh a diagnosis isn't the end of the world- a cursory google found the surprising fact that 1 out of 2 people are affected by age 50. Colitis is slightly more possible, I spose, but there are several types and without knowing your medical history, it'd be hard to say. My 2 cents- bleeding may be due to piles, or general irritation due to repeated bowel movements. Mucus in feces can also be caused by infections. That's not to say that you shouldn't get it checked out- at the very least it sounds like you've got a nasty infection, and all this comes with the proviso that I AM NOT A DOCTOR. Just a complete layperson who knows the online symptom checkers are terrible. I've given up entering anything into them- everything I seem to put leads to possible diagnosis's of cancer. Which I'm assuming I don't have! Hope you feel better soon.

Edited to add: Yes, if it is really bad and you start to feel worse, I'd head to the local hospital. Maybe a walk in centre?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound like colitis, the blood would normally be quite dark/black I believe. However obvs you need to see a doctor, and they are going to want a stool sample. However if it isn't causing you pain, and there isn't much blood then I imagine you could wait a day or two. Not sure if I'd want to because I'd be worrying like mad, and that is not professional advice, but if there isn't significant bleeding you are unlikely to die particularly quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Call NHS Direct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSingh23)
    Call NHS Direct?
    I'm waiting for a call back!

Look are your ********* in the mirror, it is probably just a fissure. If there isn't one your doctor will probably send you for a colonoscopy, which will be a fair wait, so it's probably not something so bad you should miss out on a visit home over (unless it is an extended trip of more than a few days). I think you can be pretty certain it isn't colon cancer, you're not in a high risk category i.e. over 50. The only reason you'd realistically have to worry about that would be if you had a close relative that had died from it at an age that is 5-10 years above yours. So don't start freaking out about the worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Look are your ********* in the mirror, it is probably just a fissure. If there isn't one your doctor will probably send you for a colonoscopy, which will be a fair wait, so it's probably not something so bad you should miss out on a visit home over (unless it is an extended trip of more than a few days). I think you can be pretty certain it isn't colon cancer, you're not in a high risk category i.e. over 50. The only reason you'd realistically have to worry about that would be if you had a close relative that had died from it at an age that is 5-10 years above yours. So don't start freaking out about the worst.
    Ta for the advice. But I don't think its a fissure, according to the symptoms for that online, that wouldn't cause mucas/discharge if it was a fissure, I wouldn't be so worried!

ReputationRep:

Is there any pain, or sign of diarrhea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Is there any pain, or sign of diarrhea?
    Nope, none at all. I'm not in any pain in the slightest. It's just frustrating

ReputationRep:
    Nope, none at all. I'm not in any pain in the slightest. It's just frustrating
    Lack of both is a good thing! My guess would be proctitis, it is increasingly common and, by itself, harmless. Causes of it can range wildly from being sexually transmitted, stress, and intolerance to gluten. Should be cured by simple antibiotics or steroids.

Edit: I also noticed that you mentioned going multiple times in the last couple of hours, which is obviously unusual in itself. Going to the toilet more frequently is another symptom of proctitis. Either way, I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Ta for the advice. But I don't think its a fissure, according to the symptoms for that online, that wouldn't cause mucas/discharge if it was a fissure, I wouldn't be so worried!
    Piles can cause mucus and discharge. Had an extreme bout of constipation or food poisoning recently?. I had serious food poisoning once ,I recovered but my rectum was in tatters and I dreaded visiting the toilet for about 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to the doctor just to make sure. Even if you're not feeling any pain, who knows what could that be. So it would be really better to go see a doctor when you get a chance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting for a call back!
    I can bet you now they'll tell you to see your GP.

Seriously, it's only been going on for a couple of hours, so I really wouldn't panic yet - colitis etc symptoms usually progress over months (and as has already been said, it is extremely unlikely that you have cancer or diverticulitis). It may completely resolve, and if it continues, you just need to see your GP and get started on investigations etc. Can you not see a GP as a temporary resident wherever you're going this week?

This is what GPs are for; I would definitely recommend going there rather than A&E or a walk-in centre. But please don't panic and cancel all your plans because of this!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm not going to bother going home. My tickets cost me £16 but nevermind, i'll just get the coach home later on this week, be a bit cheaper. I'd rather lose a couple of quid than go home and worry all week. Phoning the doctors tomorrow, should have an appointment for tuesday!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm not going to bother going home. My tickets cost me £16 but nevermind, i'll just get the coach home later on this week, be a bit cheaper. I'd rather lose a couple of quid than go home and worry all week. Phoning the doctors tomorrow, should have an appointment for tuesday!
    Wishing you well.

ReputationRep:
    Lol this post is soooooo tmi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_geek)
    Well you're bright. This subject is obviously a sensitive one and I was obviously very concerned. If you're not willing to contribute anything helpful to the thread maybe you shouldn't of commented at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Wishing you well.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_geek)
    There was warning in the title... You obviously have nothing to contribute

Anyway hope it's nothing serious, get well soon

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.