Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scared myself to death looking at symptoms online. *MENTIONS BOWL MOVEMENTS* UPDATE! watch

ReputationRep:
    It's a good sign if there's no pain
    Anything I would have said has already been covered, just don't stress out about, I hope everything goes well at your appointment :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have medical knowledge OP but as someone else who worries themself sick from reading about possible problems on the net I just wanted to advise you not to do it! The chances of it being something serious is tiny and playing the guessing game on the internet to self diagnose can really mess with your head and cause no end of unnecessary worrying and stress. Perhaps keep a log of your symptoms and try to get on with every day life until your appt. Hth

ReputationRep:
    Don't diagnose yourself online, see a doctor. Most of the time, what you think is highly contagious nose cancer is a slight head cold.

ReputationRep:
    Bowl movements? Gotta have some cereal movements...

ReputationRep:
    If you had colon cancer or a serious digestive issue, you would definitely know. Looking up symptoms online is not a good way to investigate a health problem!

It sounds like you have an infected anal fissure which is pretty common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    This is kind of embarrassing but I can't be bothered for moderators to give me the ok to post this so **** being anonymous.

I'm scared to death. The past couple of hours i've noticed that when i'm going to the toilet to pass stools that they contain blood. Also, i'm getting a thick bloody yellow discharge from my rectum which doesn't smell at all pleasant. I can't get to a doctor for at least another week - I know i'm going to worry myself silly until I do get to one.

So I decided to look up my symptoms online.......

Seriously, i've totally freaked myself out. Has anyone had this before? It only started a few hours ago. I'm literally pulling my hair out!

I've already booked my train tickets home for monday, they aren't refundable, I don't know whether or not I should forget them and get to a doctor this week or what. What would you do? I guess its common sense that I should go see a doctor, but I can't afford any more train tickets

EDIT: Typo in the title! I meant BOWEL
    I doubt it's anything serious. It happens to everyone from time to time.

Also a week to see your gp! My gp gets you an appointment on the day you phone. Try you local hospitals gp surgery and see if they have anything sooner.

ReputationRep:
    God the sleepless nights I spend thinking I have cancer, blood clots, organ failure, osteoporosis, arthritis, parkinson etc just because I googled my symptoms! I feel for you op. But seriously calm down. Remember you have no pain so that's always good. Also, I'm no House, but if it was cancer it wouldn't progress that fast. One day nothing, the next blood everywhere.
    I do hope you go to the doctor soon, even if it's the simplest thing it could still need medication. Let us know how everything turned out!

ReputationRep:
    Well could be anything really.

Could be:

piles
    an ulcer (my guess)
    irritable bowel syndrome

Best advice: Don't strain, eat more fibre, check for intollerances such as wheat or dairy. Hopefully it will clear up by itself.

If it doesn't go to the GP and he'll put his finger up your arse. (And then give you just the same advice!)

ReputationRep:
    Just some tips until you see the doctor (as someone who has suffered with bowel problems for years) make sure everywhere down there is kept clean but don't use scented soaps as they can irritate. Wear cotton underwear as they are more breathable. Make sure you eat well, take Paracetamol if you can, if it hurts.

With regard to waiting that long, you can make emergency appointments at the doctors where they see you that day. It involves sitting around for a few hours until they can fit you in but it's better than waiting that long!

ReputationRep:
    Well i've been to the doctors today. Been examined and the doctor says I have to send off samples. To be honest I didn't like her. She didn't really have the time of day for me (she was running late in appointments) I told her I have a few problems and she said ok well which is the worst today? You'll have to make another appointment for the rest. Its like ugh how do I know they aren't related? So anyway, I have a bald patch which is quickly getting bigger (from my temple to my ear (luckily I can hide it for now) and I mentioned it to her, plus the tiredness and headaches everyday. She had no advice for me just said I can't deal with that today, you're going to need blood tests, come back a week on friday and we'll sort that out. Are you kidding me?! It could be much worse by then!!

Not only that, she told me that I have a small amount of piles - hasn't told me what i'm supposed to do though. No medicine or anti biotics or anything, just said see you next week and kicked me out the door. I'm not impressed at all.

ReputationRep:
    A tip - never, ever, ever search for symptoms online. I'm currently receiving physio for a neck problem but before I was diagnosed, the internet told me I had a brain tumour, meningitis, blood poisoning, and so many other terrifying things. Its funny, of all the things that could be wrong with you, you immediately pick the most serious and worry yourself sick about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_geek)
    Lol this post is soooooo tmi!
    Oh do grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    A tip - never, ever, ever search for symptoms online. I'm currently receiving physio for a neck problem but before I was diagnosed, the internet told me I had a brain tumour, meningitis, blood poisoning, and so many other terrifying things. Its funny, of all the things that could be wrong with you, you immediately pick the most serious and worry yourself sick about it.
    I know right! I've heard so many people claim the same thing. I think its just because a lot of people have the 'it would be just my luck to have such and such'. I suppose its natural to fear the worst.

Once i'm better, i'll remind myself to keep off google in the future :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Well i've been to the doctors today. Been examined and the doctor says I have to send off samples. To be honest I didn't like her. She didn't really have the time of day for me (she was running late in appointments) I told her I have a few problems and she said ok well which is the worst today? You'll have to make another appointment for the rest. Its like ugh how do I know they aren't related? So anyway, I have a bald patch which is quickly getting bigger (from my temple to my ear (luckily I can hide it for now) and I mentioned it to her, plus the tiredness and headaches everyday. She had no advice for me just said I can't deal with that today, you're going to need blood tests, come back a week on friday and we'll sort that out. Are you kidding me?! It could be much worse by then!!

Not only that, she told me that I have a small amount of piles - hasn't told me what i'm supposed to do though. No medicine or anti biotics or anything, just said see you next week and kicked me out the door. I'm not impressed at all.
    I know this might catch hell from medics but what with the stories recently of GP's fobbing off people who turn out to be quite seriously ill , personally if Iam not happy with a doctor's service I make an appointment to see another one at the practice the next day even ,Even if this turns out to be something minor , you might feel better going through the process if you have a more supportive doctor. I did that ever since one doctor told me I couldn't have a nasty cyst removed from the side of my forehead. and went to see another doctor and got a whole different attitude.

Also please try as others said not to go on the internet for health issues as the internet always picks the worst case scenarios and for instance one time I saw a GP over a serious worry made worse by internet access, and he told me he hadn't had a patient with this illness for 3 years and they were much older than me.It puts it in perspective.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    I know this might catch hell from medics but what with the stories recently of GP's fobbing off people who turn out to be quite seriously ill , personally if Iam not happy with a doctor's service I make an appointment to see another one at the practice the next day even ,Even if this turns out to be something minor , you might feel better going through the process if you have a more supportive doctor. I did that ever since one doctor told me I couldn't have a nasty cyst removed from the side of my forehead. and went to see another doctor and got a whole different attitude.

Also please try as others said not to go on the internet for health issues as the internet always picks the worst case scenarios and for instance one time I saw a GP over a serious worry made worse by internet access, and he told me he hadn't had a patient with this illness for 3 years and they were much older than me.It puts it in perspective.

Good luck.
    Thanks very much! I'm making an appointment for wednesday at a different surgery. I'm glad you got things sorted eventually

ReputationRep:
    Update in the OP.

ReputationRep:
    To (approximately) quote Dr House, "Oh yes, who needs a medical degree when you have Google? :rolleyes: "

Trying to figure out what's wrong with you online is pretty much the worst possible course of action. Try to put all this paranoia out of your mind until you have had the colonoscopy and they can tell you what is actually wrong with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    To (approximately) quote Dr House, "Oh yes, who needs a medical degree when you have Google? :rolleyes: "

Trying to figure out what's wrong with you online is pretty much the worst possible course of action. Try to put all this paranoia out of your mind until you have had the colonoscopy and they can tell you what is actually wrong with you.
    I'm not trying to figure out whats wrong with me - that was almost 2 weeks ago. I posted the update so people could maybe tell me of their experiences if they've had one.

ReputationRep:

UPDATE
    So after handing samples in to the hospital and the them refusing to do it because they were referred by a GP :rolleyes: the doctor has decided to refer me for a Colonoscopy. How delightful! Again i'm hoping its nothing serious but if anyone has any experience of this procedure could they let me know what to expect/how it was for them please? I have done a bit of research online but thought it couldn't hurt to ask you folk
    First, never google your problems. Google has told me I have so many things wrong with me, and the doctors have never found anything.

There's nothing to worry about regarding the colonoscopy. You'll be put to sleep and then you'll wake up. All done You'll then go and get your results a few weeks later.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.