Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you approach people you fancy? Do you get approached? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    Haha, I wish! Thanks though.
    Well I'm hoping to be going to the University of Nottingham in September so if I see you around Nottingham I'll try to chat you up Just don't reject me too quickly

I never used to get approached or have the courage to approach anyone else. I used to be sooo shy and would only feel comfortable talking to someone after I got to know them a little (and only if they started talking to me) so basically never spoke to anyone I didn't know.

BUT now I've come to realise that if you're being friendly, smiling just being nice in general then most people will respond well to that and want to talk to you more. If you're doing all those things and people are rude and reject you then that's their problem - there's no point in taking it personally.. I mean, you met them like 2 minutes before, it really doesn't matter!

(Original post by RequiemForADream)
    I say add him! I'm a shy guy and I know I'd appreciate it You haven't got anything to lose. If he questions the add, which I seriously really doubt he would, just say it was a random fb friend suggestion thing. But really, add him already!
    I'm not as worried about him questioning it, but more...what happens once I add him...what to say?! And then how to speak to him face to face next time without having 'Hey, I already know your full name because I'm the creep that added you'? I probably will do it, but these things still worry me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMorgan26)
    Well I'm hoping to be going to the University of Nottingham in September so if I see you around Nottingham I'll try to chat you up Just don't reject me too quickly
    Ahhh, ok then!

ReputationRep:
    I've never approached anyone except for this one guy currently atm and technically it was my friend who did it for me. Not going to well though...

I really don't get approached by any guys. It's frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Too insecure and too scary too. Not to help that I overthink everything... I'd probably not even know what to tall about!

ReputationRep:
    I have my moments when I'm in clubs and intoxicated where I approach girls and it usually goes quite well. Put me back in the real world though and I'm useless. Kind of sucks to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrostyLemon)
    I have my moments when I'm in clubs and intoxicated where I approach girls and it usually goes quite well. Put me back in the real world though and I'm useless. Kind of sucks to be honest!
    So do you feel more comfortable chatting up girls' when drunk? I'm just curious to know as I've seen a lot guys' write this. But what if you can't remember a thing the next day? hehe.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, never used to but then someone told me that 'you're either the guy in the corner waiting for something to happen, or you're the guy who makes something happen.' I know that sounds so arrogant and self-important but it applies to a lot of things, you wouldn't just eye up your dream job, you'd go for it. So after many failures/embarrassments I feel pretty comfortable approaching whoever for a little chat.
    However, getting approached? Seldom, if ever. But it doesn't bother me, if I see someone giving eye-contact, I'll give a sincere smile, if it's returned then I'll go over and say hi.
    But if this was asked last year, then a big fat no to both questions.

ReputationRep:
    I don't bother cold calling on random strangers in clubs, its a loser's game. Wannabe PUAs are the saddest bunch of ****ers in the world.

I tend to flirt with girls I meet through other channels: sports clubs, work, friends of friends, course, acommodation etc. You get a lot more interest that way. There has very rarely been a period in the last 10 years where I haven't either had a girlfriend or a handful of girls who were interested in dating, so its a method that definitely works.

If you are in a club, just try to look friendly and smile at people but otherwise just chat with your mates and pretty soon the girls will come up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Be prepared to handle rejection and the girls will be yours my friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    Be prepared to handle rejection and the girls will be yours my friend.
    True dude, rejection is part of the price to pay for getting birds.

ReputationRep:
    I never used to, but now occasionally I'll meet/see someone who I think is cool and so, yeah I 'approach' them.. usually not on nights out or in pubs or something because I'm usually just there for fun. But like today, there was a guy who gave a really good presentation in my seminar group, I had seen him around and he seemed cool, though very outspoken and people tended to disagree with his opinions or think he was having a go at them, so then I saw him in the line for the bus and went up to him and told him his presentation was good and we got talking I think he was kind of pleased x)

Don't tend to get 'approached' though. One of my friends today told me that I give off the impression that there is a constant joke I am having with myself at someone else's expense so maybe that's something to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecaterpillar)
    I never used to, but now occasionally I'll meet/see someone who I think is cool and so, yeah I 'approach' them.. usually not on nights out or in pubs or something because I'm usually just there for fun. But like today, there was a guy who gave a really good presentation in my seminar group, I had seen him around and he seemed cool, though very outspoken and people tended to disagree with his opinions or think he was having a go at them, so then I saw him in the line for the bus and went up to him and told him his presentation was good and we got talking I think he was kind of pleased x)

Don't tend to get 'approached' though. One of my friends today told me that I give off the impression that there is a constant joke I am having with myself at someone else's expense so maybe that's something to do with it.
    Did you fancy him, or were you just talking to him in a platonic manner? Did you exchange numbers?

ReputationRep:
    Im to much of a coward to approach a girl i like wish i could grow some balls..............

ReputationRep:
    I dont have the guts to approach guys I like... and was thinking today that I wish guys would approach girls more! Although, I think I just need to get on it and start approaching them... and not just when I am drunk~! hahaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honey-Monster)
    Did you fancy him, or were you just talking to him in a platonic manner? Did you exchange numbers?
    Lol, well, I think he's cute, I didn't really think anything particular beforehand but after talking to him more he seemed really nice and also seemed to be a bit interested, so, I guess so. And no, I was going to ask for his but he had to get off the bus fairly quick, so next time I see him I probably will.

ReputationRep:
    I usually approach the girls I like but have stopped as it never goes anywhere. Girls never approach me. Actually... a girl did like using me to have sexy texts with and the only girl who returned my feels dated my best friend just because he was the guy that every girl wanted to date even though his personality not as good as mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RequiemForADream)
    I say add him! I'm a shy guy and I know I'd appreciate it You haven't got anything to lose. If he questions the add, which I seriously really doubt he would, just say it was a random fb friend suggestion thing. But really, add him already!
    Was gonna say the exact same thing. GO FOR IT:cheers:

ReputationRep:
    More people should go for it rather than waiting around expecting love to find them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.